JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Checking in from Monday
    1. AM run - 3 miles. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, plank. Balance practice. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Post JFT.
    2. Leave for school by 10:00. Lifting. Take S to read between sets.
    3. Take recycling. Late lunch with parents. Assessments?
    4. Discussion post. Comments if available. Chop celery.
    5. Schedule assessments for Fall 2019; plan out return times. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    6. Therapy exercises at 9:30: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, plank. MEDS. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 9:45; devices off by 10:00. Alarm set for 6:00. Tuesday: Lifting. Align assessments to OW units. Birthday for A.

JFT Tuesday
    1. AM run - 3 miles. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, plank. Balance practice. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Post JFT.
    2. Leave for school by 10:00. Lifting. Change clothes.
    3. Movie 12:45. Draft project. Quiz.
    4. Take S to library; pick up new book. Birthday for A.
    5. Discussion post 2. Chop celery. Prep cheese. Build saag.
    6. Schedule assessments for Fall 2019; plan out return times. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Therapy exercises at 9:30: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, plank. MEDS. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 9:45; devices off by 10:00. Alarm set for 6:00.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    February 2019: 187.0
    Today: 194.8

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Poetry: Revise "Songs are Poetry" handouts.
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays! Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options.
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals. NOTE: ATTEND POST FLEX DAY RATHER THAN PRE FLEX DAY. Upload summer project checklist July 1.
    6. Medical: Dentist. Onco. PCP. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Theater: Audition for Mamma Mia???
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots. Check with D about ceiling and taking items to the dump.
    9. Fun: Open beading on Thursdays. Coloring at library on Tuesday. Put jewelry away.

WFTY: Climbing.
    Positive thought: ... at least some of that gain is from lifting :(
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    nlmackey98 wrote: »
    nlmackey98 wrote: »
    JFT "Re-commitment Monday"

- Log everything I eat :) Almost let shame stop me, but I logged that tablespoon of icing... butter, shortening & sugar. Sounds gross, but tastes oh so good.
    - Don't eat junk just because it's there :) This has been a real struggle since the beginning of April
    - Stop eating when full :) Not an issue
    - Drink at least 1L of water before soda (Why did I quit this??) :smile:
    - Protein (15g Protein/3g Sugar) bar for breakfast (For some reason I had stopped eating breakfast... cue afternoon binge) :smile: I really don't mind these and my office is stocked. stupid to skip it.
    - Check in on my JFT Family. I've been a little self-centered lately. Sorry y'all. :smile: Y'all rock!
    - Get final account information together for my dad's estate. Still waiting on the Death Certificates. :smile: Now I wait.
    - Work on PPE Matrix at Work :neutral: No but priorities changed so I was still productive
    - Lunch <300cal. Standard lunch salad with chicken breast 1T of dressing. NO EXTRA CRACKERS OR TREATS! :neutral: Got wrapped up in work and skipped lunch
    - Go for my 2 mile work walking loop. (Why did I quit doing this?) :smile: Kept wanting to quit, but didn't.
    - More work on PPE matrix :neutral: See above
    - Home by 5:00 :smile: 4:45
    - LAUNDRY. I've let this get behind again. :( Just didn't feel like it
    - Go for a 3 - 5 mile hilly walk. Distance will depend on timing and needs of the family. :( No excuses, just tired and didn't feel like it
    - Dinner within calorie allotment, going back to eating half of what I used to think was normal. (This always worked well. Why did I stop.) :smile: Actually just ate a bowl of sodium, I mean Campbell's soup
    - No alcohol. My weight always goes up when I drink in the evenings. The drinks have calories and they make me think I need to snack. Easy change with a big impact. :smile: Super proud of this one. Can't tell you the last time I watched a hockey game without having a beer. Confession: If the Bruins had tied it up and gone into OT, I'd decided I'd have one.
    - Lay out clothes to go to the gym in the morning. Go even though I'm afraid people will look down on me. :smile: Sad pulling out the bigger workout pants again, but the smaller ones roll and give me a segmented look. I did it though.

- Get up early and go to the gym for the first time in over a month. :smiley: So kept trying to talk myself out of this.
    - Get ready and try to look decent for work. No ball cap today. :smile: I tried & I did fix my hair.
    - Protein Bar for breakfast when workers finish in my office
    - Check in on MFP folks
    - Work on East End capabilities chart
    - Lunch 300-400cal
    - 2 mile walk
    - PPE Matrix if EE is complete
    - Home by 5:00
    - Actually go walk this evening
    - Actually do laundry this evening
    - Dinner within limits
    - Lay out clothes for gym
    - Bed by 11:00

Positive thought: Two months of poor choices can be turned around with one good day. Take the path to being your best you!

Yesterday was really good. I hit most of my goals and I'm at peace with the 2 I missed. This morning was rough. Goal was 50-60 minute workout...

My alarm went off at 3:45 AM. I hit snooze and pondered not getting up. Alarm went off, I talked myself out of getting up and reset the alarm for 4:10. At 4:10 I hit the snooze again. I laid there realizing I wasn't going to get up and go to the gym. Then I got really disgusted with myself. Knowing that my reason for not wanting to go was pride. I didn't want to be seen this heavy. I didn't want to be seen struggling to finish my cardio. I didn't want to be seen lifting such small weights. Still I laid there. Then I turned the alarm off and decided I had to stop the negative self-talk. If I wanted to be my best me, I needed to start today. No more putting it off.

My best me is fit and eats well. My confidence is improved as is my energy. Frankly, I'm just more fun to be around, and I'm a better example for my girls.

I got up and I got ready. Again I thought "You can't do this, why try. Go back to bed." Again I pushed down the negative and got in the car. The whole way there I wanted to turn around and go home. I've done that before... I got to the gym and I did decided not to do my "favorite" cardio, the Arc Trainer, and just do the recumbent bike. I just wasn't sure I could do it and the negative vibes kept me from trying it. Oh well, 20 min cardio is done. I should go home now and skip my planned weights. Ok, suck it up and do upper body. Chest/Biceps: Had to lower my weights more than I thought (32 min). Damn. Call it a day. No, just do dips (38 min). Wow, I'm a little queasy. Call it a day. No, just do back (42 min). Everything is harder than it should be. Serves me right for taking 2 months off. Skip abs and go home. No, just do the chair. Wow, that was awful. I couldn't finish 3x10, $h!t! Just go home, you are a failure. You can't do what you could do. That's stupid finish the ab workout even if it isn't your best. (55 min).

Thank God that is over, but I'm glad I didn't give up on myself today.

Day 1 of a healthier me. Tomorrow maybe I'll try the Arc Trainer and do legs & abs.

Watch the "5 second rule" by Mel Robins on Youtube I think theres a good TEDTalk too that covers it, that helps me with getting up in the morning!
    I also use my tablet as my alarm, and i disabled the snooze button LOL
  • littleblackskirt
    littleblackskirt Posts: 956 Member
    Options

So JFT Monday 3rd June

Log everything yes
    Stay in the green not quite
    Moisturize (been lazy with this lately) did the body but forgot the face!
    Mark walls for new shelves no
    Clear huge pile of dishes! yes, very satisfying
    Visit parents yes
    Do parents errands, phone calls and letters required. yes, took ages
    Try and rescue poppies which were battered down in the winds yesterday. no, but spent the evening gardening
    Plant sweet peas as above

Today is shaping up to be a failure foodwise. The electricity is off today, so I went to the garden centre and supermarket. Bought several unsuitable foods, what was I thinking?

I'm now babysitting, so possibly will have family for the evening meal. I always seem to eat a bit more when I'm cooking for other people.

@nlmackey98 , I'm very impressed that you forced yourself to make the effort at the gym. Well done!

In fact, I admire all of you who exercise and/or go to the gym. I'm struggling to stand upright today lol.

• wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options

JFT 4/6/19 Tuesday

1. Log all food & drink :smile:
    2. Stay under calorie target :smile: I haven’t finished eating yet but I know I’ll be under
    3. Take at least 5500 steps :smile: and I managed 10 mins of Wii board stepping
    4. Stay focused and have fun :smile:

JFT 5/6/19 Wednesday

1. Log all food & drink
    2. Stay under calorie target
    3. Take at least 5500 steps
    4. Stay focused and have fun

Hi everyone

@Faebert I love my audiobooks and pod casts so I’ll definitely look (listen?) out for Half Sized Me. It sounds like a few of them would be relevant for me.

@nlmackey98 I’m sure the most popular words uttered in a sentence with ‘diet’ are ‘I’ll start on Monday’ Even starting on Monday is better than not starting or not even thinking about starting :smile: Thanks for the cheer!

@Bex953172 are you Sagittarius by any chance? I am and I know I'm not very tactful or diplomatic most of the time. I’m not into astrology but I keep being told I'm a typical Sagittarius. I say no I’m just straight; but I am gutted if I upset someone when I haven’t meant to.

@maryrobinson you’re doing this! You’re the best person to be you and you do it so well :smile:

@Snowflake1968 fab photies. Bet you all had so many giggles and how lucky to have the lake literally on your door step. Looked brilliant :smile:

@korina75 1 portion of Swedish meatballs? Waaahh there’d be nothing left but the sauce on my face if that was me :smile:

@mytime6630 glad you liked the little verse. I’ve been reading them lately when I feel a bit wobbly. That’s one of my faves. Or anything from Dr Seuss :smile:

@jacqui2494 congratulations on the new baby!

@PackerFanInGB I hope it went ok for you today. MRI's aren't the nicest but the good thing is they don't hurt. It's definitely a relief when they're finished.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,743 Member
    Options
    JFT - Monday June 3- Determined
    2.5L of water - :)
    Calories in green, Log Accurately - :)
    Walk 1 Mile - :* I think I was a few steps short. I didn't carry my phone with me all day
    Squats - 55
    5 Fruits and Veggies - 1/5
    Only 1 evening Snack - :)
    5 something at bathroom break - :)
    Something on commercials - :*
    Write in Journal - :)
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices - :)

JFT - Tuesday June 4 - Determined
    2.5L of water
    Calories in green, Log Accurately
    Walk 1 Mile
    Squats
    5 Fruits and Veggies
    Only 1 evening Snack
    5 something at bathroom break
    Something on commercials
    Write in Journal
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices

I just woke up at 1030, I had a terrible sleep last night and was awake and reading from 410 to 630. I don't know why I am having such trouble sleeping, but it's annoying.

I went and ordered corsages yesterday for myself, Brodey's Mom and Rodger's Mom for the wedding. I didn't do much else yesterday except tidy a bit. While doing my tidying I for some reason decided that I would reverse the handles on the fridge door, I have been asking Rodger to do it since we got the fridge in September. I was quite proud of myself when he came home and noticed it!

Today when Rodger gets home from work, I need to go buy some lights for the wedding and pick up a few groceries at Costco. I'm not sure what else I'll get done today.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

JFT 4/6/19 Tuesday

1. Log all food & drink :smile:
    2. Stay under calorie target :smile: I haven’t finished eating yet but I know I’ll be under
    3. Take at least 5500 steps :smile: and I managed 10 mins of Wii board stepping
    4. Stay focused and have fun :smile:

JFT 5/6/19 Wednesday

1. Log all food & drink
    2. Stay under calorie target
    3. Take at least 5500 steps
    4. Stay focused and have fun

Hi everyone

@Faebert I love my audiobooks and pod casts so I’ll definitely look (listen?) out for Half Sized Me. It sounds like a few of them would be relevant for me.

@nlmackey98 I’m sure the most popular words uttered in a sentence with ‘diet’ are ‘I’ll start on Monday’ Even starting on Monday is better than not starting or not even thinking about starting :smile: Thanks for the cheer!

@Bex953172 are you Sagittarius by any chance? I am and I know I'm not very tactful or diplomatic most of the time. I’m not into astrology but I keep being told I'm a typical Sagittarius. I say no I’m just straight; but I am gutted if I upset someone when I haven’t meant to.

@maryrobinson you’re doing this! You’re the best person to be you and you do it so well :smile:

@Snowflake1968 fab photies. Bet you all had so many giggles and how lucky to have the lake literally on your door step. Looked brilliant :smile:

@korina75 1 portion of Swedish meatballs? Waaahh there’d be nothing left but the sauce on my face if that was me :smile:

@mytime6630 glad you liked the little verse. I’ve been reading them lately when I feel a bit wobbly. That’s one of my faves. Or anything from Dr Seuss :smile:

@jacqui2494 congratulations on the new baby!

@PackerFanInGB I hope it went ok for you today. MRI's aren't the nicest but the good thing is they don't hurt. It's definitely a relief when they're finished.

Nope a pisces!
    Sensitive, yet fiery when ticked off LOL

And can you write the thing by Dr Seuss! I love Dr. S
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,743 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB -I'm sure that the MRI is a memory now as I'm so late getting on here today. I hope it wasn't too terrible and it gives you the answers you need to get better.

@Bex953172 - My soul, Casey is a sweetie!

@jacqui2494 - Congratulations, is this your first Grandchild?

@cory17 - I think we all look for answers in the fridge or the cupboard from time to time.

@faebert - so happy you found the ring. I had a ring of my grandmother's that I lost close to 30 years ago and it still haunts me.

@korina75 - I hope your Father is kind. I remember losing weight before seeing my Dad too, he never said anything to me about my weight but made enough comments to me about others that I knew his stance. Hugs to help you to get through.

@nlmackey98 - I just love how you talk back to your negative self talk. I do that too, sometimes I tell it @$%&amp; off. I need to start doing more of the get up and move talk. I don't have a gym membership, but I have things I can do at home and I'm not doing them. I'm so proud of you!

@littleblackskirt - It's nice to see you back. I am thinking of putting some shelves up in my kitchen too. I need a bit more space and I was thinking that might help.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Had a pretty good day today. No headache at work until late in the day, thank God. Tomorrow morning is the brain MRI, which I'm seriously nervous about...not because I'm afraid of the results, but because I'm claustrophobic and they are going to put a cage over my head so I can't move. That scares the bejeezus out of me. I'll be fine, but it's making me nauseous to think about it.

Between seizures, a ruptured brain aneurysm and a tumor, I've been through a bunch of these. For me, the worst part is not the cage, it is the noise. Those things are LOUD. The best course of action is to not think about it beforehand and once you are in there, practice going to your happy place. Also, remember to breathe!

You can get through it, the imaging doesn't take very long...an MRA is a bit longer if you are having contrast.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    JFT tues
    cook chicken
    put away 15 things in office
    tomorrow prep
    put away 15 things from dresser area
    call mom again
    cal <400 tonite
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    @maryrobinson Sounds like a great day! You can do this! If I can give you an advice: don't worry about pounds, enjoy the process! Yes, it requires going out of comfort zone but it's also very rewarding process. When I look back, I had the best time during those weight-loss periods. I enjoyed caring about myself, being mindful, exploring healty recepies, moving and being outside etc. So, just take your time and let us cheer you all the way through! :)
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Had a pretty good day today. No headache at work until late in the day, thank God. Tomorrow morning is the brain MRI, which I'm seriously nervous about...not because I'm afraid of the results, but because I'm claustrophobic and they are going to put a cage over my head so I can't move. That scares the bejeezus out of me. I'll be fine, but it's making me nauseous to think about it.

Between seizures, a ruptured brain aneurysm and a tumor, I've been through a bunch of these. For me, the worst part is not the cage, it is the noise. Those things are LOUD. The best course of action is to not think about it beforehand and once you are in there, practice going to your happy place. Also, remember to breathe!

You can get through it, the imaging doesn't take very long...an MRA is a bit longer if you are having contrast.

Oh my gosh, I had forgotten you had the ruptured brain aneurysm. I did okay in the MRI (MRA?). It was with and without contrast and took about 40 minutes. I had them turn the music up, and they now have a type of camera and mirror set up inside the face/head cage that points straight at the radiology staff who are doing the test so it was like watching them or watching TV or something while listening to music. I didn't feel as trapped since I was able to see everyone in the office room. I'm really relieved to have it done and over with! Now the wait for the results.

I'm glad to hear your colonoscopy went well! :) I have one scheduled at the end of the month but am probably going to reschedule until we figure this whole double vision thing out!

• PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Goals for Monday:
    1. Journal every bite--the good, the bad & the ugly :)
    2. HYDRATE :)
    3. 30 minutes of activity--walk, Body Groove, Wii game or DVD of some kind 10 min so far walking in conference room :)
    4. 5 svgs freggies: 4 so far (blueberries, banana, grapefruit and cucumber, summer squash) :)
    5. Be mindful, eat slowly, put down my fork between bites, swallow before taking another bite. >:)Already failed at this one.
    6. Be kind to others and to myself. Walk away from negativity. Only positive self-talk. :)
    7. Listen to Calm app for 10 minute meditation >:)
    8. Listen to Half Size Me, Joyce Meyer podcasts today :)
    9. Spend 15 minutes outside--water plants and flowers, weed flower beds, get bicycle out of spare garage :)
    10. Lymphatic massage on right arm >:)Dang it! I really, really need to do this! My arm is getting really swollen and puffy.
    11. Unplug by 8:00 p.m. :)
    12. Prep coffeemaker for morning :) , pack lunch bag & prelog >:) , set out outfit for tomorrow :)
    13. Gratitude Journal: 5 things I'm grateful for today :)
    14. Readings: Joyce or Dodie | Simple Abundance >:)
    15. Lights out by 10:30 tonight :)

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and the suggestions! I did good in the MRI today. I had one scan where I wiggled a tiny bit, but I have spring allergies and I was trying really hard not to cough! She said the other images were good so it was okay. I didn't panic as I thought I would, so that was really something else! I don't think I've ever been able to do a head MRI (I've had a few through the years) without being drugged. So, I'm quite proud of myself because it means I overcame a moment of anxiety and panic that I used to not be able to. Yea! You guys are the best cheerleaders ever!

Now, I will wait for my results. That's the hard part. Hurry up and wait.

Today was a pretty good day all in all. I know it's late, but I still really need to post goals so I don't let myself get sloppy or lazy again!

I'll check back in later. Heading home from work now. Peace out! :mrgreen:

Goals for Tuesday:
    • Journal every bite--the good, the bad & the ugly
    • HYDRATE
    • 30 minutes of activity--walk, Body Groove, Wii game or DVD of some kind 10 min so far walking in conference room
    • 5 svgs freggies:
    • Be mindful, eat slowly, put down my fork between bites, swallow before taking another bite.
    • Be kind to others and to myself. Walk away from negativity. Only positive self-talk.
    • 10 minute meditation
    • Listen to Half Size Me, Joyce Meyer podcasts today
    • Spend 15 minutes outside--water plants and flowers, weed flower beds, get bicycle out of spare garage
    • Lymphatic massage on right arm. This time I mean it! DO IT!
    • Unplug by 8:00 p.m.
    • Prep coffeemaker for morning, pack lunch bag & prelog, set out outfit for tomorrow
    • Gratitude Journal: 5 things I'm grateful for today
    • Readings: Joyce or Dodie | Simple Abundance
    • Lights out by 10:30 tonight

Word for 2019: Tenacity / Tenacious
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Nope a pisces!
    Sensitive, yet fiery when ticked off LOL

Ha! No wonder we get along so well! I'm a Pisces too. And I'm very sensitive, until someone pisses me off... :wink:
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB
    I have never made the time to write you response I had planned, but you were in my thoughts many times after I all read about those hard things on your shoulders (parents's illness, step daughter's depression). It's very hard to feel powerless when it comes to our closest people. I admire your strenght.
    I also hope that everything went well with the MRI..I am a bit claustrophobic too so I totally understand your fear. Although, we humans have this great capability to cross the brige once when we are in front of it, no matter how scary it looked a minute before. Sending you a big hug!

EDIT: I was writing this at the same time, I am glad to see that everything went well! Keeping fingers crossed for the results!
  • korina75
    korina75 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    JFT 6/4

30 minutes mindful movement :) Swimming
    Stay within calories :)
    drink 8 c water :)
    meditate 5 minutes :| 2 minutes
    Get guestroom ready for company :(

Not too bad of a day for me. Busy but productive and tomorrow should be low key so I can relax, catch up around the house and have some me time.