WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    on my second cup of tea, sometimes ya just need it, this time using heavy cream.. not bad at all
    I love Lil the lady who comes to hang out with Alfie, but she will sit in my den with the tv on . and watch tv which is fine but doesnt pay attention to what Mr Mr is getting into... I have an antique decoy duck that was my grandfathers and I look yesterday and the beak is chewed off... good lord really? you sorta got a laugh and he has a thing for pillows and I have to put them up and out of the way so he doesn't obliterate them..
    well will finish my tea and away I go
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,605 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Phew! Three children, 7, 5 and 2 are a lot of effort, even with the two of us. Max, the 7 year old, can understandably get a bit frustrated with the pace of the littler ones, so he got a bit boisterous occasionally and I got cross. :( He broke the squeaker on our 5 second rule game by shaking it much too hard. They don't seem to sell them separately. It still times ok, but doesn't squeak. Otherwise we managed ok by doing lots of different activities. I was channelling KJ. :D
    I felt pleased that we had looked after them for three hours in our own home, which is not really set up for kids. Bea did try to rearrange my favourite ceramics! :o:# It enabled my son to run over 11 miles , up hills, with his club, and DDIL to go for a run and then prepare her conference speech. We are glad to be of service.
    Tomorrow we are picking Max and Edie up from school and going back to their home with them. Stay until bedtime. Will have to wing it on food.
    Trying to cut back on calories today. I'm cooking a chilli in the IP right now to have with broccoli.

I'm very tired because I couldn't get to sleep last night. Grrrrrrrrrr! It was about 3 am before I went off. I moved to my study/guest room in the loft conversion and read a biography of Winston Churchill. I can feel my eyelids drooping. DH is starting a cold and feeling rubbish. Caught it from the kids last week, of course. They were coughing and sneezing like fountains today. :s

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Sunday -- Today I ran my very first Half Marathon!!! 21.2 km.

Stats according to Strava
    Distance: 21.30km
    Elevation: 177m
    Moving Time: 2:51:15
    Elapsed Time: 2:53:17
    Pace: 8:02/km
    Calories:1,694

I had done four 10Ks in the past year, and so I figured I was ready. I signed up for the Cadbury Marathon and selected half marathon. Then I started training in earnest ... for about a week or so. December was an incredibly busy month and I wasn't able to get in as much training as I wanted, but I still tried to walk lots, run when I could, cycle when I could and climb stairs.

Fortunately I had 16 days off over the Christmas break and I was able to be active every day.

I ran a 12 km two weeks ago, and a 14.4 km last weekend. The 12 km went all right ... the 14.4 went all right while I was running, but I felt awful after. I'm actually glad that happened because it altered my strategy for the better.

This past week, I just walked in order to give myself rest.

Today, I was up at an absolutely unearthly hour of the morning (4 am), on the road by 5 am, and at the event by 5:45 am.

The marathon runners were set off at 6 am, and my event went at 6:30 am. My husband's event (5K) went at 8:45 am.

It was a perfect day ... blue sky and hardly any wind. The starting temp was 10C and it gradually increased to 18C by the end.

I followed my revised strategy which appeared to give me the energy to the end. Rather than running on an empty stomach the whole way, I was doing gatorade and water at the drink stations, and Gu Energy Chews along the way. I also ate about half an hour before the run. Fuel is good!

And then I settled into my pace and jogged.

My legs were cooperative until about 18 km when they decided they'd had enough of this nonsense, and that's when I started walking & jogging.

I finished in 02:51:11 which was faster than my estimate. I had guessed I'd be somewhere between 3 and 3.5 hours.
    AVERAGE PACE: 08:06
    OVERALL: 653 OF 694
    FEMALE: 342 OF 377
    F (50-54): 36 OF 39

A nice solid back-of-the-pack finish for my first half marathon!! :grin:

And my husband? He did his 5K in 46 minutes ... mostly jogging with a little walking. I was so proud of him. :)

We got our bags of chocolate and stuff from Cadbury, and great medals! We shared hot chips while watching the presentations for the top 3 of each event. Then we came home and slept for about 3 hours.

I'm quite stiff and sore, and I think my husband is too a bit. We'll see how I go walking briskly to the bus tomorrow!

But nevertheless, I'm thrilled to have done a half marathon!!

Machka in Oz

Congrats!! 13.03min mi, not bad for your first one!! 🎉👍🏽👑👏🏆🍾🎈
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Wow Machka, you and your husband rock!
    And Barbara, (((Tumble))). 😉🐾

Betsy in NW Washington
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Beth near Buffalo: I would love to hear more about your produce delivery service as you go along. I wonder what sorts of veggies you will get. :star:

Okie: I love pork verde but DH can’t eat pork any more so I don’t cook it any more. My mouth is watering thinking about yours. :ohwell:

Michele: We had a freezer and wished for a bigger one, so we bought a bigger one and kept the original one. Now we have two in our garage. We never park a car there, due to lack of room. :embarassed:

Machka: Congratulations to both you and your DH for your run. WTG! Running a half marathon is a tremendous accomplishment! A 5K for your DH is every bit as impressive and proof he is healing. :bigsmile:

Barbara: Congrats on your good time with the dog group. :smiley:

Lisa: You are so lucky to have Corey. Everyone needs a person like him in their life, but many don’t have that kind of blessing. I think of myself as one of the lucky ones with a great DH, too. :flowerforyou:

Yesterday DH installed our new dishwasher and we ran a load of dishes. They were pristine. The wash cycle is an hour long, though. That will take some getting used to. I am so proud of him. Between us, we accomplished some heavy work that was a real challenge. The dishwasher was delivered into our kitchen, but DH did all the work. I think he’s feeling proud of himself and he deserves to be proud.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Beth Near Buffalo -
    "I signed up for a fresh produce delivery service. It's a company that buys "misfit" produce from organic farmers. Food that grocers won't take because it's not "perfect. The intent is to reduce food waste and support local farmers ... and sells it to people like me at 30-50% less than grocery store prices. We're going to see what it's like as we can cancel at anytime. Produce will be delivered every 2 weeks (I chose the delivery time) and we're only buying a 10-12 pound box since it's just the two of us. I'm hoping this will encourage more variety in our diet as I hate to throw out food."

Beth near Buffalo

If it's like the delivery service I used last year until almost December, when my diet never specialized because of the surgery, I loved it. The stuff was fresh as could be, and sometimes I couldn't find any imperfections. Hope you're as happy as I was.

Sharon near Seartle
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

You can see how my pace goes all ragged after 18 km on todays run ... :) That was when my legs figured they were done.
    ws8y8vl6p14y.png

looks like there was an elevation gain just there as well, orvam I reading the lower line incorrectly?

Sharon Near Seattle
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I learned an important lesson this morning. Don’t chop my salad veggies for the week during my fasting period. I had to stop myself from tasting each veggie as I chopped it.

Which reminds me, I forgot to chop my turkey. I think I’ll wait until this evening to do that.

Happy Sunday Ladies!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Options
    Michele - the one girl cant take advantage of the sale price as she is an EMT that works out of town in industrial camps when she has breaks from school. She is out of the city until the 24th. One of the other girls told her to call and order by credit card, I don’t know if she has done that or not though. She had a very tough December, her vehicle was stolen while she was at work, the day she did her Christmas shopping on the 22nd. They took the keys right out of her purse that was in the employee storage area. Her truck was recovered last weekend by the police unharmed, but her gifts were of course gone.

Barbie - my daughter started meal planning last year to help her out with the “decision fatigue” she says it has saved her money and lots of stress! She created a board and uses 3X3 sticky notes where she has all of her meals written out. Every two weeks she updates what the next two weeks will be and uses her ingredients on her sticky notes to make her grocery list. It’s working for her, I would feel too restricted I think, although I have been giving it some thought. 2 meals a week for her is “eat at Mom’s” 😂

Machka- congratulations to you and your husband that was a huge accomplishment!

Allie - I so admire you for helping others. If it brings you joy, a little for your vacation fund you should continue when you want to. I’m sure if you were ever asked to do too much you can always use that magical word “no”.

Kelly - “Marvin The Martian” legs. That made me burst out laughing. It is such an accurate description though.

Lisa - I have a friend that I feel has the same thoughts as you did about the weight. She was sexually abused as a young girl by a family member. It’s her protection.

Heather - my husband is always exhausted when our Grands leave after a visit. I could keep them for days on end but not if he’s around. I love doing things with them and just watching them play.
    They sure do carry all the bugs though don’t they?

I was given a new Nora Roberts book for Christmas it is about a strain of flu called H1N5 wiping out the world population, not my type of book really, but it has me hooked.
    Yesterday I read several news reports that our flu season has claimed 6 toddlers, 4 of them in the neighboring province. The flu strain this year is H1N1, the news reports unsettled me an maybe more than I realized as I slept very poorly last night due to dreams that my book had become reality.
    This is why I like the fluff books with not a lot of substance. 😂

My daughter is coming today so we can design her wedding invitations, we will be taking a break so that she can go see the Bumblebee movie with her Father and Nephew. I bought them tickets as a Christmas present for this.

I will enjoy some alone time while they are gone. Being alone in the house is a rarity for me.

Have a great day everyone,
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Tracy ~ So sad but true! :(
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Tracey - love that poster - seems so true about guys losing weight quickly. B)

Katla
    - so glad your new dishwasher is installed! Kudos to your DH for getting his handyman skills honed and put to good use!

A reminder - the free viewing of The Real Skinny on Fat starts January 15th, and here's the sign-up link: http://therealskinnyonfat.com/optin/

I see they are promoting it as "Keto", but if it's the same as last year's, it's about how the "low-fat" push actually pushed more sugar and carbs on folks. It covers Keto but also covers eating healthy fats and a good all-over diet, not necessarily just low-carb.

Lanette
    Sunny but chilly (35 degrees) SW WA State
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    so far so good with Keto almost 2 weeks in and 8 lbs down.. gonna keep on trucking even though im not dropping super quick I can fell my pants getting looser, hahaha all i have is elastic waist anyway....but that will change my friends that will change... sometime maybe not this year but early next year I will be stylin and profilin...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Sharon near Seattle: It seems that you have triumphed over hard times and are still working on taking good care of yourself. I find that very admirable. :star:

Lanette: I signed up for the real skinny on fat again. I may have done it twice for this set. It will be worth it. Thank you for keeping us connected with this program. :flowerforyou:

Allie: If you’ve lost 8 lbs in two weeks that is a super quick loss. Congratulations! Stay strong & healthy. :smiley:

I was scheduled for a riding lesson today, but my teacher had a conflict so that has been cancelled. I am considering whether to go out to the stable and I’m not sure yet whether I have enough energy. I helped DH install the new dishwasher yesterday. His work was brilliant. Some of the heavy lifting and moving was in my domain and I feel it today. The first load of dishes was sparkling clean but it lasted for a very long time. We’re running load #2 right now on a different setting. This one is shorter and lasts 1 hour. The other cycle was much longer than an hour.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon