Men & Women in their 50s starting anew in 2019!

Options

Replies

• PartyPerson
    PartyPerson Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    mcg316 wrote: »
    I’m all in. I’m gaining back from my lowest in a long time. I’m so addicted to carbs right now. Any suggestions

You must be feeling really frustrated right now. For me the only thing that works is planning and logging. I love carbs but there are a couple of substitutes that I like too:

Cauliflower rice - grate about 1/4 of a cauliflower per person add a teaspoon of olive oil and bake in the oven for 10 mins stirring once
    Courgetti instead of spaghetti - I don't cook them at all, I find the sauce from which ever dish I'm using them is enough but you can drop them in boiling water for a couple of minutes if you prefer them softer

I try to factor in a carb treat everyday when I'm planning my meals.
  • CharliesGram
    CharliesGram Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @ PartyPerson What’s courgetti? 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’m intrigued
  • CharliesGram
    CharliesGram Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    mcg316 wrote: »
    I’m all in. I’m gaining back from my lowest in a long time. I’m so addicted to carbs right now. Any suggestions

You must be feeling really frustrated right now. For me the only thing that works is planning and logging. I love carbs but there are a couple of substitutes that I like too:

Cauliflower rice - grate about 1/4 of a cauliflower per person add a teaspoon of olive oil and bake in the oven for 10 mins stirring once
    Courgetti instead of spaghetti - I don't cook them at all, I find the sauce from which ever dish I'm using them is enough but you can drop them in boiling water for a couple of minutes if you prefer them softer

I try to factor in a carb treat everyday when I'm planning my meals.

• poscur
    poscur Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love my new scales (apart from the numbers on them). I didn't mean to buy smart scales but these were on special and I thought why not. They calculate everything - apparently I'm not drinking enough water! They even told me how much visceral fat I have (big scary number - we're going to sort that). They tell me my bmi and bmr. They even tell me my bone mass (scary small number and apparently v. tricky to improve)

So once I sort out those scary big numbers they will become my friend. At the moment they're a tiny bit naggy.

good to know. I was thinking of getting one. what kind did you get? does it pair with your fitness tracker if you use one? what do you get an app on your phone it connects with? Does it cook your meals too? lol
  • Slider678
    Slider678 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday all! QOTD has anyone done any cleanses? A couple times a week I will do a meal substitution with a juice or smoothie from The Juice Bar and it makes me feel great.
  • poscur
    Options
    Question of the day! How do you stay on track when traveling?

When traveling, we just make sure to make careful selections at restaurants. Choose foods with high protein, don't eat the bread, choose healthy veggies as sides. It's really quite doable. And, if driving in the car for a while - take along healthy snacks.

I don't really travel much for work but was listening to Halfsizeme podcast and they were discussing...said to lookup menu of restaurant you know you are going to and pick out what you will be ordering and track it ahead of time so when you get there you know what to order and not tempted but other things on menu....sounds like a good practice in general. Not to take all the fun out of dining out but if you do it a lot sounds wise.
  • poscur
    Options
    Sunday, hanging with family....football...lots of unstructured time. This is the hardest kind of day for me!
  • PartyPerson
    Options
    poscur wrote: »
    I love my new scales (apart from the numbers on them). I didn't mean to buy smart scales but these were on special and I thought why not. They calculate everything - apparently I'm not drinking enough water! They even told me how much visceral fat I have (big scary number - we're going to sort that). They tell me my bmi and bmr. They even tell me my bone mass (scary small number and apparently v. tricky to improve)

So once I sort out those scary big numbers they will become my friend. At the moment they're a tiny bit naggy.

good to know. I was thinking of getting one. what kind did you get? does it pair with your fitness tracker if you use one? what do you get an app on your phone it connects with? Does it cook your meals too? lol

They were ETEKCITY from amazon. There is a phone app and it connects to fitness trackers too (though not the one that I use). I kind of like cooking so I'm glad it doesn't cook for me. I have now made a conscious effort to drink more water today though.
  • PartyPerson
    Options
    @Charliesgram courgetti is grated courgette (I use a spiraliser but you can buy it already done in the supermarket).
  • poscur
    Options
    poscur wrote: »

They were ETEKCITY from amazon. There is a phone app and it connects to fitness trackers too (though not the one that I use). I kind of like cooking so I'm glad it doesn't cook for me. I have now made a conscious effort to drink more water today though.

Thanks for the info! I like cooking too
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @PartyPerson, which scale is that?

@sherrisimpson1, welcome! Glad to have you with us.

@GuyanaGold21, you're most welcome.

Hope everyone's had a great weekend. I'm going to a funeral tomorrow. One of my best friends at church, who has been diagnosed with cancer, just lost his brother. It's going to be a sad day tomorrow.

Have a nice evening,
    Bonnie
  • GuyanaGold21
    GuyanaGold21 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Hope everyone's had a great weekend. I'm going to a funeral tomorrow. One of my best friends at church, who has been diagnosed with cancer, just lost his brother. It's going to be a sad day tomorrow.

Have a nice evening,
    Bonnie

Bonnie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend with cancer and the loss of his brother. Sending my condolences, as well as prayers for peace and comfort tomorrow.

Teri
  • MountainTopMom
    MountainTopMom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Absolutely killed today. Did the exercises for the squat/lunge/push up challenge and then got back to the gym for the first time in <ahem> 9 months. Over an hour lifting, and pleasantly surprised I didn't backslide too much, and actually had to increase the weights on squats and bench. Woo Hoo! Then a half hour hike when I got home. Boom.

@BonnieHosk85, so deeply sorry for your friends diagnosis and her loss.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @GuyanaGold21 and @MountainTopMom (and congrats on your great gym time).

My friend with cancer is a guy. My husband and I go out to lunch every Sunday after church with him. Sometimes it's just the three of us and sometimes we have as many as 12 people. Always a great time. He and his roommate (also a close friend) came over for Christmas and we had so much fun. It's hard knowing that might be our last Christmas with him. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for him and his family.
  • poscur
    Options
    @PartyPerson, which scale is that?

@sherrisimpson1, welcome! Glad to have you with us.

@GuyanaGold21, you're most welcome.

Have a nice evening,
    Bonnie

I’m sorry to hear that Bonnie. Sounds like a tough day. Be kind to yourself and take care!
  • poscur
    Options
    Absolutely killed today. Did the exercises for the squat/lunge/push up challenge and then got back to the gym for the first time in <ahem> 9 months. Over an hour lifting, and pleasantly surprised I didn't backslide too much, and actually had to increase the weights on squats and bench. Woo Hoo! Then a half hour hike when I got home. Boom.

@BonnieHosk85, so deeply sorry for your friends diagnosis and her loss.

You were a Rock Star today! Congrats. Have a great week ahead!
  • Happyartlady
    Happyartlady Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Slider678 wrote: »
    Hey there-
    Lets start a support group for men and women in their 50s that are going to make changes in 2019! I need the help and am starting today! Role Call! Who is in?
    Jay in Atlanta

I’m in! I have a lot to lose... but I’m setting mini goals. My first goal is 30 pounds. I start tomorrow!
  • poscur
    Options
    Hi all. Can I join the fun? I’m 55, live in Brisbane, Australia, weigh far too much and have committed to changing. My husband suffered a cardiac arrest at work last year (he has always been healthy, watches what he eats, exercises regularly, has regular checkups at the doc’s) and that forced a reality check. He survived only due to the fact that his workmates started CPR immediately and he received expert medical care from the paramedics that attended. I realised that I have been living in denial and I need to change, so here I am. Talk about a wake up call!

After all that I would like to one day be able to see my toes without bending over, walk up stairs without taking a little break half way up, fit comfortably into seats at the movies or on planes, shop for clothes in regular stores and not feel like everyone is judging me when we eat out (even though I’m pretty sure most of that last one is in my head - hopefully).

You made the first step! Welcome.
  • Sandi5608
    Sandi5608 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Can I join the fun? I’m 55, live in Brisbane, Australia, weigh far too much and have committed to changing. My husband suffered a cardiac arrest at work last year (he has always been healthy, watches what he eats, exercises regularly, has regular checkups at the doc’s) and that forced a reality check. He survived only due to the fact that his workmates started CPR immediately and he received expert medical care from the paramedics that attended. I realised that I have been living in denial and I need to change, so here I am. Talk about a wake up call!

After all that I would like to one day be able to see my toes without bending over, walk up stairs without taking a little break half way up, fit comfortably into seats at the movies or on planes, shop for clothes in regular stores and not feel like everyone is judging me when we eat out (even though I’m pretty sure most of that last one is in my head - hopefully).

You are in the right place! Welcome!