Men & Women in their 50s starting anew in 2019!

Options

Replies

• radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Restart sounds like a good idea.
  • dlarsentx
    dlarsentx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Retired military, turning 58 in April and have been struggling to lose the weight I packed on after retiring from the Army in 2008. Ran quite a bit in 2018, but injured a knee in late November and have been sidelined for two months. Getting back on an elliptical (just finished 30 minutes), but it's a struggle right now. Was at my highest weight (271) in late 2017, but lost 25 pounds last year ... mostly due to the increased activity/exercise. Still need to lose another 50 pounds, though. Hoping 2019 is a better year than 2018 ... and I hope to lose AT LEAST 25 more pounds before this year is out. If anyone would like to add me as a friend, please do.
  • poscur
    poscur Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You got this! Welcome!
  • kekhare
    kekhare Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Please count me in. Over 50 and having a tough time losing about 20 lbs. Hoping being in this friendly group of the same age will provide the motivation and encouragement to not get discouraged.
  • PartyPerson
    PartyPerson Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    dlarsentx wrote: »
    Retired military, turning 58 in April and have been struggling to lose the weight I packed on after retiring from the Army in 2008. Ran quite a bit in 2018, but injured a knee in late November and have been sidelined for two months. Getting back on an elliptical (just finished 30 minutes), but it's a struggle right now. Was at my highest weight (271) in late 2017, but lost 25 pounds last year ... mostly due to the increased activity/exercise. Still need to lose another 50 pounds, though. Hoping 2019 is a better year than 2018 ... and I hope to lose AT LEAST 25 more pounds before this year is out. If anyone would like to add me as a friend, please do.

Welcome - it's tough dealing with weight loss when you're used to exercise then suddenly can't. I'm sure that 2019 will have it's ups and downs but as long as you keep the end goal in sight you'll get there!
  • PartyPerson
    Options
    kekhare wrote: »
    Please count me in. Over 50 and having a tough time losing about 20 lbs. Hoping being in this friendly group of the same age will provide the motivation and encouragement to not get discouraged.

Welcome to the group - we're here to help and to help you celebrate
  • Slider678
    Slider678 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Count me in please! Monday is my birthday and I will be 56. I need to lose 50 pounds that I have been carrying around since about 2007. My episodic migraines became chronic and I was very inactive for years. My medical team and I have FINALLY succeeded in gaining better control of them. I am SO READY to have my healthy life back! I am taking it slowly, and adding in better habits along the way. I’ve been back on MFP for about two weeks now, and am actually thrilled about it. I would love to give and receive support and encouragement!!

Playing question catch up:
    1- Where are you from? Be as specific or vague as you'd like.
    From south Florida – Atlantic coast, but have lived in Missouri since 1994.

2- What is one challenge that worries you this week?
    Planning meals that keep me within my calorie limit.

3-What is the hardest part of the day for you to stay healthy and why?
    Evenings after work. I’m tired and want to “treat” myself.

4-How do you stay on track?
    Planning my calories ahead of time and discovering non-food related activities which help me to relax!

5- What is something that gets in the way of your healthy lifestyle?
    My DH who loves to eat out and snack (and yes, he is fit). Not making time to exercise. Also getting hit with a bad migraine and struggling to get back to life. Over and over and over…

6- What are your favorite exercises?
    Swimming. Preferably in a crystal clear river! Since I don’t have one nearby, the pool at the Y is my game plan.

7- How do you reward yourself for a good day, week or month? Other than food or drink?
    I have not really gotten that far yet, but I have been giving myself “permission” to leave my office and take a walk during lunch instead of eating with my coworkers.

8- What are you worried about this week?
    Work. It is very stressful in general, and this week my best employee just told me he accepted another position. And I’m trying to get two journal articles published.

Thanks for starting this very supportive group and best wishes to all!

Welcome! What does DH mean?
  • Slider678
    Options
    Wow our little group keeps growing! This is great!
    Question of the day! How do you stay on track when traveling? I am away for the weekend and will be all meals in resteraunts. Dreading it!
  • Sandi5608
    Sandi5608 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Slider678 wrote: »
    Wow our little group keeps growing! This is great!
    Question of the day! How do you stay on track when traveling? I am away for the weekend and will be all meals in resteraunts. Dreading it!

I've been travelling quite a bit for work. I get 3 or 4 days in each place so I get to a grocery store the first day and stock the hotel room fridge with fruit and veggies and yoghurt. Add some tuna and crackers, some soup etc and I've been able to avoid restaurants for the most part.
  • mcg316
    mcg316 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m all in. I’m gaining back from my lowest in a long time. I’m so addicted to carbs right now. Any suggestions
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @Slider678, DH=Dear Husband. :)
  • MountainTopMom
    MountainTopMom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just slowly jogged 30 minutes reading the forums. Like walking pace, but I was jogging, lol. That still counts!
  • Slider678
    Options
    I have just started back after terrible 4 year lapse. Need to lose at least 75 pounds. Can I join you please?

Love to have you! Welcome and let’s go!
  • poscur
    poscur Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have just started back after terrible 4 year lapse. Need to lose at least 75 pounds. Can I join you please?

welcome!
  • ellenecoxcox75
    ellenecoxcox75 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello all you wonderful Over 50's! Start of a long weekend, yeah! Hope to get some honey-do's done. Doing really well on my evening walks, so glad to be at this again and have the support here, it is really appreciated!
  • GuyanaGold21
    GuyanaGold21 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    How do you stay on track when traveling?

I have to eat gluten free (it's a migraine trigger), so eating out in a new area is a hassle in general. If driving - I usually bring along ready-made food and snacks. If flying - I pack what I have room for, generally just eat two meals a day, and try to keep it simple so I can get an accurate calorie count.

Good luck & I hope your trip is enjoyable!
  • GuyanaGold21
    GuyanaGold21 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @Slider678, DH=Dear Husband. :)

Thanks!

• PartyPerson
    Options
    I love my new scales (apart from the numbers on them). I didn't mean to buy smart scales but these were on special and I thought why not. They calculate everything - apparently I'm not drinking enough water! They even told me how much visceral fat I have (big scary number - we're going to sort that). They tell me my bmi and bmr. They even tell me my bone mass (scary small number and apparently v. tricky to improve)

So once I sort out those scary big numbers they will become my friend. At the moment they're a tiny bit naggy.
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Question of the day! How do you stay on track when traveling?

When traveling, we just make sure to make careful selections at restaurants. Choose foods with high protein, don't eat the bread, choose healthy veggies as sides. It's really quite doable. And, if driving in the car for a while - take along healthy snacks.