Men & Women in their 50s starting anew in 2019!

Options

Replies

• BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    slimmdown wrote: »
    BettJo64 wrote: »
    I learn something new all the time here on MFP. I've not only had to confront myself on food choices and amounts, but also how many times I eat during my day. For so very long I thought the fewer times I would eat, the better to lose weight. Unfortunately, for me at least, that just meant I was eating usually under 500 calories. I was told I was probably in starvation mode, so my body would hang on to every calorie. For a person my size, as huge as I am, starvation seemed like a joke. But I'm a believer now. I've been making true effort to regularly eat 3 meals a day nowadays. Doesn't really matter how big of a meal, but quality matters. I pay attention greatly to my macros and strive for higher proteins. Anyways, I'm just amazed that I'm eating more calories, but losing more weight. I sometimes break 1000 calories, but it is really hard to choose the right foods and still pull good macros. I'm trying...and I'm learning more and more every day.

It seems counter intuitive, but you gotta eat more if you want to lose and stay healthy long term. Your body needs the fuel. Using the recommended calories by MFP is a great start. It may seem like a lot. You may want to eat more REAL food and not processed or fast food. Cutting out sugary drinks and drinking water will keep things moving too.

Congrats on your success so far.

Thanks so much @slimmdown 😊 I've adopted a nearly completely water lifestyle. Seldom do I enjoy a glass of diet ginger ale, so sodas are mostly out of the picture. I may have a cup of decaf coffee or tea once or twice a week, but water for sure is number one for me merely because I've always loved it. I admit I do prefer to do my own cooking at home rather than eat out, fast food, or delivery. Hubby loves it tho lol Guess I think why pay for someone else to cook what I know I can cook better for myself. Anyways, those issues are not a problem. Just trying to keep up with eating 3 definite meals a day plus making sure higher protein rules the day is running my life now. Some days are harder than the next. But I'm trudging along. Fingers crossed.
  • bulldogcpa
    bulldogcpa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Trudging along is fine. That implies forward motion. 👍🏻
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need to start anew!! My weight loss has stopped. Not regained much, but this is a bit discouraging.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    I feel like I need to start anew!! My weight loss has stopped. Not regained much, but this is a bit discouraging.
    Those “lulls” happen from time to time, unfortunately. Hang in there, friend!
  • zoedayan7
    zoedayan7 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm trying something different.. I haven't got any scales here so I'm (trying to) stick to target calories and exercise
    . I'm only going to weigh myself every few months so will only then really see effect (except for hopefully moving a notch on the belt!). Next weigh-in, July 5.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @BettJo64 Congratulations on great progress. I started well but seem stuck at the moment.
  • Finishiitnow
    Finishiitnow Posts: 896 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Slider678 wrote: »
    Hey there-
    Lets start a support group for men and women in their 50s that are going to make changes in 2019! I need the help and am starting today! Role Call! Who is in?
    Jay in Atlanta

Hello from NH
  • BettJo64
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    @BettJo64 Congratulations on great progress. I started well but seem stuck at the moment.

Tony, sorry to hear things have slowed down for you. Hopefully, it's just temporary. I'm sure I'll be hitting a speed bump soon myself. Happens. Just have to change strategies to shake things up. Happy to share this journey with you. Send me a request if you like. I'm a faithful logger since 2014.
    😁Betty
  • BettJo64
    Options
    Awful quiet in here😕
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Every one of my start again days has ended in failure...maybe I'm just not ready.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    Every one of my start again days has ended in failure...maybe I'm just not ready.

You are ready - you are here and trying! Just keep doing. As @bulldogcpa above says, it's forward motion.
  • skf1201
    skf1201 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    16omyptv7ags.jpeg
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread. We need a little activity in here.

What's up for your weekend? I'm taking my daughter and granddaughter camping tomorrow. We will also attend a stargazing presentation and climb some sand dunes.
  • BettJo64
    Options
    @alteredsteve175 Wow, your weekend sounds fun😁 Hubby and I were just saying we need to plan a camping trip. Have fun with your girls! We've got some projects around the house and in the yard that we're tackling Saturday. Sunday my kids and grandkids are coming over to hang out and have a big meal together😁
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    BettJo64 wrote: »
    @alteredsteve175 Wow, your weekend sounds fun😁 Hubby and I were just saying we need to plan a camping trip. Have fun with your girls! We've got some projects around the house and in the yard that we're tackling Saturday. Sunday my kids and grandkids are coming over to hang out and have a big meal together😁

That sounds fun, too, Betty. Exactly what we did on Father's Day. Enjoy the family time!

• rbk2620
    rbk2620 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in! 53 years old and making getting healthy my gift to my future retired self.
    Add me if you are interested in sharing motivation and support.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Re: weekend plans, hubby and I are going hiking Sat and then to a free concert in the park where there will be dancing. I love summer!
  • kennethc1964
    kennethc1964 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in. Lost 80 lbs when I turned 50 (took 16 months) and now at almost 55 I have put 40 of it back on. Just started tracking what I eat and getting to be more active. Could use all the help/support!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I am in. Lost 80 lbs when I turned 50 (took 16 months) and now at almost 55 I have put 40 of it back on. Just started tracking what I eat and getting to be more active. Could use all the help/support!

I also lost a lot and gained it back....I lost 40 and gained 45 back! Now it's harder than ever to get it to go away again!