What is up with wearing clothes that are to small for you?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My "reaction" was not just to the OP but others as well...

Was it an over reation no.....people can where whatever they want and if society chooses to judge them that is disgusting.

There are many reason's people where cloths that are "too small" none of which anyone in public is privy to.

*shakes my head and reminds myself to stay the heck away from the forums*

So judging others judging is okay and "not as bad"... especially when over-dramatizing the extent of said judging and declaring it THE MOST disgusting thread (when seriously, this is not). ....I see....

against better judgement...read my original comment...It is "THE MOST DISGUSTING THREAD I (note the I) HAVE SEEN". And it is...

And how is saying shame on you judging? It's more of a scolding because here we are on a site to promote and help people get fit, loose weight and stay healthy and people are calling out folks who have a muffin tops and making fun of them???? Nice just the thing to do to help others overcome possibly issues with food or body image or those who don't have a choice due to finances....but I know those who feel I over reacted wont back down and that's fine to each their own

PS I don' have issues with food or my body image, I have issues with nasty comments making fun of others for no other reason then it is wrong and that is not a judgement either.
  • LivDixon
    LivDixon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This doesn't hit close to home for me at all :laugh: :yawn: One of my first steps in getting started with weight loss was becoming more positive about my body, which is my business only. What I look like and why is my business. I'm a tidy, non-muffin top, consistent size 3/4 at 155 pounds (and I'm a shorty!), so this doesn't apply to me. I'm just sick of people being shamed for wearing clothes that are too tight (especially on a forum for health and weight loss) when we don't really know WHY they're wearing clothes that are that way. Instead of trying to change a culture that tells women (and men) that they need to be "x" size to be attractive, instead we're telling them "size up, girl, size up! I mean, you're fat and that's disgusting but your tight clothes make you look even more disgusting!" I know that some people wear clothes that are too tight purposely. Their body, their choice. Look away if it sickens you.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    And how is saying shame on you judging? It's more of a scolding because here we are on a site to promote and help people get fit, loose weight and stay healthy and people are calling out folks who have a muffin tops and making fun of them???? Nice just the thing to do to help others overcome possibly issues with food or body image or those who don't have a choice due to finances....but I know those who feel I over reacted wont back down and that's fine to each their own

PS I don' have issues with food or my body image, I have issues with nasty comments making fun of others for no other reason then it is wrong and that is not a judgement either.

And this is why I hate all of the OH NOES, A JUDGEMENT posts.

See, you made a judgement that other people were being disgusting by making a judgement. Because of your judgement, you decided it was necessary to scold all of the other people making their own judgement. If you hadn't made that judgement, you would have felt no need to administer a scolding, understand?
  • hope002
    hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'm honest-to-god too broke to buy properly fitting clothes. Can't even afford thrift stores. So if you see me looking like a squeezed sausage, won't ya help a gal out and give me five bucks?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    love this one
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    The reasons probably vary from person to person. I think a big part of the problem may be how women's clothes are sized. A lot of women get so attached to one number, that it doesn't matter if it fits right or looks good, as long as it's the right number. My sister is like that. She has one size that she considers "her size" and all but *refuses* to wear a different size, regardless of how the clothes actually look on her. And nobody in the family can get it through her head that women's sizes are stupid and "her size" in one store is not the same as "her size" in a different store. The sad thing is that for a lot of these women, if they'd get over that number and buy clothes that fit and flatter, they'd really look amazing.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    As a side note, I have no problem with making judgements or other people making judgements on appearance. There's nothing wrong with seeing something and thinking 'I like the way that looks' or 'I don't like the way that looks'. Even, 'I don't understand how anyone could like the way that looks'. Show me someone who does not do this even subconsciously and I'll show you a blind person (who is then judging based on what he/she hears and or feels), or I'll show you a liar.

Now, don't go judging a book by it's cover, but go on and judge the cover all you like. Just don't tell the book unless it's something good. That'd just be rude. :wink:
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I wear clothing that is too small for me because I gained weight and haven't had the money to buy new clothing. Does that help?

I try not to judge other people for what they're wearing because I don't know their personal situation, and I don't think it's any of my business.
  • MercuryBlue
    Options
    You are aware that other people are not your personal pretty decoration, right?

Personally, I do try to make an effort to wear clothes that look good, but I don't feel as if I am under any *obligation* to do so. Also, at present time, if I'm between two sizes, I'll get the smaller one because I'm still in the process of losing weight and want to be able to wear it for a little longer before it gets too big.

^^^^All of this.
    Maybe people can't afford new clothes, maybe they don't WANT new clothes, maybe tight clothes make them feel hot, who cares? I wish we could just let people live in their own bodies and change if they WANT to, not because it would be more aesthetically pleasing to us. People try to squeeze into things as it is because society body-shames them into thinking thin is in, so of course they're going to try to convince themselves that they're smaller, and we hardly receive any good, mainstream information about nutrition and body positivity anyway. It does no good to then shame those people for caving into a society like that and doing whatever it takes to make themselves look "right" by other people's standards.

Yes and yes to both of these.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    As a side note, I have no problem with making judgements or other people making judgements on appearance. There's nothing wrong with seeing something and thinking 'I like the way that looks' or 'I don't like the way that looks'. Even, 'I don't understand how anyone could like the way that looks'. Show me someone who does not do this even subconsciously and I'll show you a blind person (who is then judging based on what he/she hears and or feels), or I'll show you a liar.

Now, don't go judging a book by it's cover, but go on and judge the cover all you like. Just don't tell the book unless it's something good. That'd just be rude. :wink:

Basically this. Different strokes for different folks. :)
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I see it all the time where I live.I recently was in a doctor's waiting area and this teen girl comes in with her family wearing skin tight short shorts that were riding up into her butt crack and a tight t-shirt that didn't completely cover her stomach so that it was hanging out. The worst part was there were two pre-teen boys sitting across from me who were laughing at her and one of them snapped a picture on his cell phone.
    I did go and tell the receptionist what the boy did,I was called in soon after so I don't know if they did anything.
    I felt so bad for her.Her entire family were obese as well and was wearing stuff that was almost just as bad.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of reasons for it. Some people are stuck on a number, some are in denial, some can't afford new clothes when they have gained, some just like tight fitting clothes, some just have clothes given to them so that's what they wear.

In a perfect world it wouldn't matter but we, well at least I , live in a far from perfect world. How you choose to present yourself in public affects your life and people judge you on it. Some people can look past their initial reaction and get to know someone despite their first impression but many can't.

I am very picky about certain aspects of my appearance, I try to wear clothes that are the proper size, that aren't too revealing, and I will not wear clothing that I know has a stain on it in public. I dress for the body I have, I try to emphasize my assets, my chest and my legs, and cover my belly and my upper arms. Many people think I weigh less than I do including nurses and doctors. I am already getting the your done losing comments right, and when I point out I still weigh a little over 200 pounds people are shocked. I am one of those people that the previous poster who doubts people's clothing sizes would not believe. I am 5'5" 208 lbs and am between size 12 and 14 pants, 14s are loose and 12s are snug.

I have friends who choose to wear clothes that are unflattering for any one of the reasons I listed, they are fashion train wrecks but they are my oldest and dearest friends and I go out with them all the time. I don't care about their appearance others do that's their loss.

To each their own diversity makes the world go round.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It is probably because they wanted to wear that outfit and they don't give a crap what you or any of the rest of the fashion police think.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what size clothes I wear?
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Some people have different mirrors? Or don't have them at all. I'm the opposite. I tend to wear clothes that are way too big & make me look bigger.

So do I, it drives my family crazy. But I can't stand clothes that "fit". My daughter gave me a blazer and it was so tight it made my shoulders hump, and it was up to my waist. She said it was a correct fit on me!

What adorable fuzz-ball is your avatar??

her avatar (stillnot2late) is a teacup pomeranian. the most famous one is Boo. has his own facebook page with 7.2 million fans and lots of youtube videos. they are just adorable little dogs.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    it is wrong and that is not a judgement either.
    Unless it is somehow ingrained within the fabric of the universe, it is a judgment. And I think it's fairly obvious that opinions about clothing will never be part of any grand unified theory.
  • MercuryBlue
    Options
    My clothes are a little on the tight side... but that's because I gained 20 lbs over the past year and am too poor to rebuild my wardrobe from top to bottom.

With that said, I have shirts that fit me in XS and shirts that are too tight in XL. I think some people don't know how to shop for different sizes with different brands.

So true! It can be really hard to shop for clothing when there's no real consistency in how sizes are chosen. I wear a medium or a large- but sometimes a large is too small, and sometimes a medium is too big. Heaven forbid I should buy clothing online THINKING it's the right size, and having it not fit! Especially if the clothing shop isn't good with refunds/exchanges. Hassle.

I also recently got a truckload of my stepmother's old clothing (she passed away a couple months ago). Some of it fits me perfectly, some of it's too big, some too small. We were the same size, and she was a really fashionable gal, so I don't want to get rid of the stuff. And, honestly, I wouldn't feel RIGHT about getting rid of it, at least not right away. She gained a bit of weight towards the end, because she just wasn't able to be as physically active as she was before- so the stuff that fits me now reminds me of the stuff she wore in her last months. That's hard for me. The clothing that fit her when she was a bit smaller (and that fits me when when I'm at my "usual" size) is beautiful, and I have a lot of good memories associate with a lot of the pieces, so I wear them sometimes and think of her. I'm sure total strangers probably look at me and think I look like a ridiculous sausage but, whatever. They have no idea who I am, and the kind of person who'd make a snap judgement on me based on that is not the sort of person I want to associate with.
  • mssteel90
    mssteel90 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I have a natural 'muffin top' and very slim legs so buying trousers that fit me is a nightmare (as they are also longer than the average length legs), however I try and buy high waisted trousers as they banish the muffin top I'm trying so hard to get rid of, follow my progress on twitter! @mum_vs_tum xx
    Suddenly I feel less alone haha
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of reasons for it. Some people are stuck on a number, some are in denial, some can't afford new clothes when they have gained, some just like tight fitting clothes, some just have clothes given to them so that's what they wear.

In a perfect world it wouldn't matter but we, well at least I , live in a far from perfect world. How you choose to present yourself in public affects your life and people judge you on it. Some people can look past their initial reaction and get to know someone despite their first impression but many can't.

I am very picky about certain aspects of my appearance, I try to wear clothes that are the proper size, that aren't too revealing, and I will not wear clothing that I know has a stain on it in public. I dress for the body I have, I try to emphasize my assets, my chest and my legs, and cover my belly and my upper arms. Many people think I weigh less than I do including nurses and doctors. I am already getting the your done losing comments right, and when I point out I still weigh a little over 200 pounds people are shocked. I am one of those people that the previous poster who doubts people's clothing sizes would not believe. I am 5'5" 208 lbs and am between size 12 and 14 pants, 14s are loose and 12s are snug.

I have friends who choose to wear clothes that are unflattering for any one of the reasons I listed, they are fashion train wrecks but they are my oldest and dearest friends and I go out with them all the time. I don't care about their appearance others do that's their loss.

Must be vanity sizing I ma 5'9 180 and wear a 14 my hipos are 36 inches, How on earth at your height and weight are you wearing 12's ? How large are your hips mine are slender.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    People like OP are the reason why I am self conscious about anything I wear. Always have to make sure no fat rolls are showing before I go out.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options

Must be vanity sizing I ma 5'9 180 and wear a 14 my hipos are 36 inches, How on earth at your height and weight are you wearing 12's ? How large are your hips mine are slender.

Lol well then Lucky Brand, and Tommy Hilfiger have now started vanity sizing. Not likely.

People are built differently I carry most of my weight above my waist, I am also solid, albeit under a layer of fat. You can't judge size based on weight two totally different things, the more muscle you have the smaller you will be for your weight.

In this picture the top is large the shorts are size 12

0938D9FC-4AE3-4BF2-A056-7DE8B89CE229-74795-00000847B1FF7D84_zps9d76d98f.jpg