60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    @BCLadybug888 Yes! Log that food. Good, bad or ugly. Total agree. Disneyland. Awesome!
  • karlschaeffer
    Options
    @alteredsteve175 Hope the pool therapy helps. We typically do homemade prime rib dpfor Xmas dinner. Easy to prep and always comes out tasty.

• karlschaeffer
    Options
    Ohโ€ฆ And Happy Tax Day for those that celebrate.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175 and @karlschaeffer I also make prime rib, when I get a good sale price. It's easier than what people think. I do the reverse sear method. Low oven till desired doneness, then let sit for at least 30 minutes, then a 500 degree oven for 5-8 minutes to sear, then serve.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,274 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Y'all have inspired me to cook some prime rib! Or at least a roast of some kind ๐Ÿ˜‰ Maybe next weekend. I have some family-size beef in the freezer, but probably not Prime rib lol.

@swimmom_1 - Mary, I imagine the reverse sear would work on other cuts too? Sounds intriguing (and tasty ๐Ÿ˜‹).
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Y'all have inspired me to cook some prime rib! Or at least a roast of some kind ๐Ÿ˜‰ Maybe next weekend. I have some family-size beef in the freezer, but probably not Prime rib lol.

@swimmom_1 - Mary, I imagine the reverse sear would work on other cuts too? Sounds intriguing (and tasty ๐Ÿ˜‹).

@BCLadybug888 My local chain store has a sale on it at least around Easter @ $5.99/lb with a $25 purchase(of other items) so I usually buy a few. So much cheaper than going out to eat for it. Googled how to cook prime rib and one of them was the reverse sear, which the butcher recommended to me. Some say the high heat first and then low. But this girl said you get a grey edge doing it that way. She tried a bunch of different ways. And this turned out the best.

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I've always been so intimidated about cooking prime rib and ruining something that was so expensive. But one of our local grocery stores puts prime rib on sale for an excellent price about once per year and and after some encouragement from friends, I bought one. And cooked it. And it was easy and amazing!

My daughter's boyfriend comes from a ranching family and they gave me a cooler full of beef last time she visited. It included a brisket. All I know about brisket is from "Big Bang Theory" haha. But I googled some recipes and cooked it up and it was fantastic.

We're never, ever too old to learn something new ๐Ÿ™‚
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I cook brisket quite often as it is a family favorite. My mom had a recipe that I use
    The brisket is marinated in spices and barbecue sauce and then wrapped in heavy aluminum foil, then refrigerated overnight. The next day it is cooked slowly in the oven for several hours.

My mom used to cook prime rib occasionally, but not often. I haven't tried it because it is so expensive, but after reading everyone's comments here, I may try it.

• karlschaeffer
    Options
    @Pdc654 Sounds like a fun time! And only a pound! Great discipline! Wife and I back from Hawaii. Def put on more than a pound! And didnโ€™t even worry about steps. Now back on the straight and narrow. Hope everyone else is doing well.
  • Pdc654
    Options
    @karlschaeffer We love Hawaii!! Our favorite place to vacation. In 2015 my husband started fulfilling a bucket list item of his to bike all 4 of the major Hawaiian Islands. In 2015, he biked Kauai, in 2017, Oahu, in 2019, Maui. Then covid hit. Finally in Oct 2022, he fulfilled his dream, by biking the Big Island of Hawaii.
  • karlschaeffer
    Options
    @Pdc654 Totally Cool! Our first post pandemic visit. Visited Kauai. Really liked it.
  • Pdc654
    Options
    Pdc654 wrote: ยป
    We got back from Las Vegas late Saturday night. Counting travel days we were gone for 8 days. I did not weigh when I got back because I was definitely retaining water from the flight, and probably a lot of extra salt and carbs. I ate above maintenance for the week, and that's after increasing my activity level from "not very active" to "active" for most days. I was over my maintenance
    by approximately 3000 for the week. I ate so many foods I wouldn't normally eat including desserts and bread most days. I only eat those at home on special occasions. But we walked a lot!! My husband found an old fitness watch that he purchased many years ago for $8. I don't know how accurate it is, but there were several days that we walked over 20,000 steps. I think that would actually qualify as very active, but I put MFP at active because I didn't know the accuracy of the watch and I would rather be conservative on my estimate. I also guessed at calorie counts on my food but logged everything I ate the best I could. I will weigh next weekend, after the water retention has time to leave my body. My ankles are looking less swollen today already. Air flights always make me retain water. If my logging was anywhere near accurate I'm hoping to only be up about a pound from the trip, which I consider a win.

By the way, if you go to Vegas, go see a dinner theater show called "Marriage Can Be Murder". It is so funny.

First weigh-in today since before our Las Vegas trip. I was totally surprised. I weighed 126.0 lbs! Before our trip, I weighed 127.4. I had been stuck at 127.4-128 range for 5 weeks so this drop of 1.4 lbs was unexpected.

Although it doesn't seem logical to me, I have a couple of theories:
    1. The diet break coupled with the huge increase in activity shook my body up and it created an extra metabolic burn. I was probably eating twice my normal calories during that week, but walking over 20,000 steps a day.
    2. It was just time for a whoosh. I had been at the same weight for over a month and it finally went.

Although, this is just a single weigh-in, and I certainly want to make sure this wasn't a fluke, at 126 lbs, I am now at a 22 BMI. Definitely in my maintenance range. I would like to drop another pound or 2 before I start increasing my calories. I know that with an increase in calories comes an increase in water weight, plus I am still storing some extra fat in my belly. I have a goal of being able to comfortably wear my size 6 jeans that I recently purchased. I can zip and button them pretty easily now, but don't think I could wear them all day long with total comfort. When I can do that, I will declare myself in maintenance.
  • Pdc654
    Options
    Wow @momzilla11 ! You have had a hard first 4 months of 2023. Glad you're getting back to normal and starting to get back in the groove! Kudos to you for doing so!