60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people! You'll find this a very supportive thread. In fact the entire MFP community has been instrumental in helping me throughout my weight loss. Continue to read and participate. There is so much good information and advice on this board.
  • gigglybear93
    gigglybear93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi @barbarabunch Yes I've dealt with fatigue issues since age 40 when it really started to effect me. I played sports and pushed myself when working out before and went to only being able to walk 10 minutes a day to start and worked up as my body allowed. But even now if I push too hard I'm down for a few days. I've really learned to listen to my body over the last 20 yrs for sure. Hang in there be proud of yourself for every small step you take! I try to remember it's not what I can't do, but what I can😊
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I’ve determined, with the exception of this thread (hopefully?), that whenever I find a post that interests me enough to join in the conversation, my comment becomes the death of that thread and no more comments happen. Either my comments are so stunningly excellent that everyone else is speechless and unable to top them :D , or so mundane, boring and off the wall that it ruins the whole thread and people remove it from their bookmarks :D , or by the time I find it the post is outdated, old news and not a hot topic any more so no one reads it. I’ll vote for the first choice, hahahahahaha. :D:D:D
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Just picking on myself this morning. If you can laugh at yourself, life is more enjoyable. Hope everyone is doing well today! The tiniest moment of real sunshine decided to make a brief appearance through all the black rainclouds so I got the chance to soak up a few micrograms of Vitamin D. :)
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    @SbetaK I thought that I was the death of threads! I’ve thought that it is due to the age of the thread because then it wouldn’t be due to me. Sorry, everyone, for ending this thread.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    @SbetaK, @MaggieGirl135: This thread didn't end, so it wasn't you. 😉😊
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,299 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    SbetaK wrote: »
    I’ve determined, with the exception of this thread (hopefully?), that whenever I find a post that interests me enough to join in the conversation, my comment becomes the death of that thread and no more comments happen. Either my comments are so stunningly excellent that everyone else is speechless and unable to top them :D , or so mundane, boring and off the wall that it ruins the whole thread and people remove it from their bookmarks :D , or by the time I find it the post is outdated, old news and not a hot topic any more so no one reads it. I’ll vote for the first choice, hahahahahaha. :D:D:D

I am part way through catching up, but this post stopped me in my tracks with a hearty lol moment! I have certainly felt like I was a harbinger of the end times myself here and there - I'm convinced it's the first choice 😆 🤣- back later once I'm caught up!
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    Hey all you golden oldies! Seems I have been absent for awhile, *#@! stuff happens I guess 😉.

I was in theme park heaven for a week recently (Disneyland, California Adventure park, Universal Studios) with my daughter, son, daughter-in-law, my 2 grandkids, DIL'S good friend + her child...quite the group to be herded around - I will confess my daughter and I ditched them, here and there...
    Got back from my trip and collapsed Thursday, then busy day yesterday and today looking after grandkids and getting caught up on watering, mail, etc.
    Weight was up 8 lbs the first morning after flight home, but as I expected it has come down since then, at least 6 lbs has - still hoping the other 2 will follow tout suite!

Now I am out at my daughter's to pick up my cat + stay for a few days to look after hers as she left for a conference yesterday.

Really nice weather we are having - low to mid 20s (mid 70s F) and loving having tea out on my deck - I was having a nice cold Coke Zero out on her deck when I startedreading this thread lol. Loving life ❤️ hopefully that translates into food satisfaction & weightloss. Cheers 😊
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    @Pdc654 - wowee!! Yippee!! You are SUCH an inspiration, so happy for you 💗 👏 👏 👏 🎆 💕

And love your next set of goals, very laudable but so perfectly sensible 🥰
  • Pdc654
    Options
    Thank you @BCLadybug888!

I am actually looking forward to my next doctor appointment in July. Hoping the results will let me drop some of my meds. However, I'm well aware it's not just lifestyle and that there is a genetic component. Especially, for me, I may not be able to get off blood pressure meds
    totally. My mom had to start taking BP medication in her 40s. She was not overweight and walked 3 or 4 miles daily, but I'm doing my best to eliminate the lifestyle factors related to high blood pressure.
  • Pdc654
    Options
    @BCLadybug888. I love that you are going on all these trips!! We plan to start traveling more now that the pandemic is winding down. Things are still kinda volatile with the airlines but getting a lot better than it was.

I also want to congratulate you on maintaining your weight. So hard to do on vacation. I bet those 2 lbs drop off soon.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options
    Anyone else here on Team 1963!!!!

We are the newest members of this thread.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Time for a general update?

If anyone else is still hanging around this thread (I hope), how about letting us know how things are going, regardless of how well that is? (I'm hoping it's going every well! But if there are some challenges, maybe the other folks here can help?)

We here in central Michigan went straight from early Spring weather (in late Spring according to the calendar) to full-on summer. A couple of weeks ago, we had frost overnight, and the last few days it's gotten above 90F (32C). I have weather whiplash!

The good news from my perspective is that we're back rowing on water regularly again, and I'm biking on some of the rowing off days. The little rowing-buddy group I coordinate has grown: Last Saturday, we had 9 participants, which may be the most ever in a single outing. (The full group is around 15, subset of a club of 40 or so - our group rows together every M-W-F-Sa in season, weather permitting. Because we row at 8:45AM, a big chunk of the group is 60+ age, though we have a few younger folks who row on Saturdays with us, or who have flexible work schedules so can row during the week sometimes. (Usually it's anything from 2 to 6 or so people at a time.)

Here's a shot of mostly 60s-ish rowers, from left, 63, 67 (me), a twenty-something, and . . . well, I'm not sure how old the guy at right is, but recently retired so at least 50s, maybe 60s.

0d1tk4apjx5n.jpg

My other project now is repairing a big chunk of ground between my house and my neighbors' house, where half a dozen huge tree stumps were ground down last Sunday. It's maybe 50x6 feet (15x2 meters), with a few other patches? The stump-grinding guy used his bobcat to scoop most of the wood chips, take them out to my wild-ish area out back, and bring back scoops of chunky clay soil. I'm working on breaking up the chunks with a hoe, raking it out, evening it back to a sensible land contour, then will re-seed. (May need to bring in some topsoil first - we'll see.)

I hope everyone else is doing fine - give the group an update, eh? :)