60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    good for you on the hike @coblujay . I love being outdoors & just don't feel good if I don't start my day outside.
    Our neighbor gave us 2 huge white zucchini from his garden yesterday. I love squash & zucchini is my favorite but I've never hear of a white one. Look forward to having some today
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,493 Member
    Options
    Good Morning and Happy Day after Solstice! I’m an infrequent participant, but long time stalker on this thread. 🤣 enjoying the last few months of my sixties before going into my 70’s in October, So I’m definitely a member of the “and up” portion on this august group. In the midst of a visit Back East (Philly area, So. Jersey, and Virginia) to celebrate some family events: high school graduation, 80th and 97th birthday, wedding. Been busy and lots of fun. Got a few good weather days down the Jersey shore before Weather turned cloudy and rainy, may impact some planned outside grandkid activities. Anyways, food and workouts have been a mess. Hopefully my going off the reservation food and exercise-wise will still allow me to fit into my glad rags for the upcoming wedding. 🤪 Hope everyone is doing well! Be good out there!
  • Evamutt
    Options
    @karlschaeffer hope the wedding will be great & the weather will support it.
    @AnnPT77 that circuit sounds really good. It should be in every city. I'm slowly getting back into working out. Stopped for various physical reasons. In the meanwhile I had birthdays & honestly don't know if I can get back to the level I was at but It's okay if not, just want to get back to a routine. I was starting to go regularly to the gym then had retina & cataract surgery little over a week ago so can't strain anything or get it wet. I can get it wet now so I can go to the pool & I didn't ask but have gone on treadmill this week too. I get super tired by the afternoon , not sure why but my eyes get tired by then
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    @karlschaeffer hope the wedding will be great & the weather will support it.
    @AnnPT77 that circuit sounds really good. It should be in every city. I'm slowly getting back into working out. Stopped for various physical reasons. In the meanwhile I had birthdays & honestly don't know if I can get back to the level I was at but It's okay if not, just want to get back to a routine. I was starting to go regularly to the gym then had retina & cataract surgery little over a week ago so can't strain anything or get it wet. I can get it wet now so I can go to the pool & I didn't ask but have gone on treadmill this week too. I get super tired by the afternoon , not sure why but my eyes get tired by then

Sympathies, @Evamutt - I've had retinal tears in both eyes, cryotherapy on one and a laser procedure on the other in an attempt to stop the internal bleeding, then cataract surgery on both eyes (a couple of years apart), a surgery on one eye after that to reduce a sort of wrinkle/thickening, and an in-office laser procedure to zap a film that had developed on one of the cataract lenses.

Having had the intra-eye bleeding problems after initial treatment of the tears, I'd encourage being very conservative about exertion for a while. Healing is job #1! The long term results can be very good.

It's normal to be more tired than usual after any surgical procedure, even outpatient stuff. Rest extra, eat at maintenance calories, get good nutrition - foster the healing. That would be my advice.
  • Evamutt
    edited June 2023
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Thank you for mentioning all of that. I couldn't figure out why I got SO tired in the afternoons to the point of wanting to take a nap. I felt I had to have the surgery because retina kept shifting so besides my vision being wavy, which I could have lived with, it would eventually cause me to see a black dot in the one eye. Yesterday the light bothered it a lot but today is better & Dr said it looked really good last Thursday. I've never had surgery of any kind so didn't know what to expect. After reading what you wrote, I feel relieved & like I have permission not to do much so thank you. I'm just usually active. If not outside the house, I'm always doing something inside. I still may go to the pool & relax in it. you've really helped me, thank you. As far as food goes, I have been on maintenance for a while although wanted to get to the lower end of my range & am almost there. Been losing 1 lb a month so want to lose 2 more lbs. I've decided to stop losing a while back so I can maintain it comfortably. No use in losing more if It wouldn't be sustainable for me
  • 66keto
    66keto Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    cherylre wrote: »
    Hi. Looking for friends 60 and older to help keep us all motivated. Maybe checking in with each other every day to keep us on track. Just started yesterday, have to lose 30 lbs. The older u get the harder it seems to get.

Hi i'm 67 newish to mfp. and would love to join the over 60 group .
  • Jadiva18
    Jadiva18 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I am a 65 years young woman. I weigh 161 and am 5'5, size 12. I am trying to lose weight as my husband was 175 when we moved to Tucson 2 years ago, but he bikes trails and is down to 145 lbs (which depresses me that I am heavier than him). I am counting calories ( trying to stay at 1200 a day), do a pilates reformer and Yin Yoga and started doing BodyGroove ( an on demand dance exercise). My husband is 62 and I fell like it's easier for him to lose weight. Anyone else dealing with a similar issue.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hello and welcome, @66keto and @Jadiva18!

Just by posting here, you've joined the group, and are very welcome. We go through fits and starts, i.e., sometimes there'll be a flurry of posts, then a few days' quiet.

If you have questions or challenges, don't be afraid to post and ask for help.

Since I'm a widow (long since), I don't face the challenge of a spouse losing faster. But it was certainly possible that envy of my husband's portion sizes may've been part of my slow gain and too-high body weight for years back in the day! (I'm not saying it was his fault: He needed the calories, and I'm 100% responsible for what I put in my mouth, chew and swallow. I'm saying I was not valuing my well-being as I should've in circumstances.)

Tucson seems to be a great place for cyclists, at least in the less brutally hot seasons. I biked there a tiny bit when visiting relatives. But your exercise routine sounds fun, too, @Jadiva18.

If you browse back through the thread, you may find more detailed intros from various participants.

I'll do a short form, since I think I haven't in a while: I'm 67, joined MFP part way through weight loss in July 2015. I'm 5'5", started from class 1 obese that April, was down to mid-150s pounds when I joined MFP to calorie count more precisely. Early 2016, I reached goal weight, and have been maintaining a healthy weight since, with some mild ups and downs (all in the same jeans size, motivated because I hateHateHATE to clothes shop ;) ). I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian, but that was true long before, during and since weight loss. I didn't really change the range of foods I ate to lose weight, just portion sizes and frequencies. I didn't much change my exercise routine either, because I was already active. I row (boats/machines) and cycle (ditto). I'm lackadaisical about strength training, but made it more of a point during loss to be steadier with that while losing so I'd (hopefully) avoid much muscle loss while losing fat.

Welcome to the group, please let us know how you're doing as you go along!

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    @Jadiva18 Welcome!! I'm 64 and 5'5". I joined in 2013 and lost 90 pounds. I gained back 20 and unfortunately I've been battling those same stubborn pounds for the last 18 months!

I have always been active, even when I was obese. I paddle with a dragon boat club and kayak in the summer. I do a lot of cross country skiing and snowshoeing in the winter. I do some strength training and a bit of yoga all year round. I also have a golden retriever and a border collie that need walking every day 🙂

The whole reason I started losing weight was because I weighed more than my husband! We would go canoeing with friends and generally speaking it seems easier to paddle a canoe if the heavier person is at the stern (back). The other couples that we'd paddle with always had the guy at the back and the woman at the front (because she weighed less than her husband). But oh no, not us...I was always at the back! My goal was to get to the front of the canoe haha And I did!

At our age we don't have a lot of wiggle room with our calories so my advice is to be meticulous with the weighing, measuring, and logging of your food. You've already got the exercise part of the equation figured out! 🙂

• Jadiva18
    Jadiva18 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @ridiculous59 I am trying to stay at 1200 calories a day and 26 grams of fiber. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • Evamutt
    Options
    I think this is the only place I can share this & no, I'm not too jealous lol just can't figure it out. I started counting calories on mfp in 2016 when I was 62 & lost 50lbs in about 17months & have kept it off except for gaining 20 & losing it /maintaining that again.
    My husband did not count calories but did stop drinking beer & cutting down on sweets but having some every day,(he was on insulin for 10+ years but not any more) he cut down on his portions & stopped drinking soda & lost about 70-80 lbs...size 52 pants to 36 & has kept it off for last 5 years but he snacks all day long. He eats nuts, chips, dip, sweets, whatever he wants & doesn't gain at all.. He brings home mexican food about 2x's a week , buys a big breakfast from Denny's or McDonalds on Sunday's (doesn't eat it all) goes for short walk or bike ride most days (30min)
    I've rarely drank soda, hardly ever ate out(don't like to) always home cooked for our family of 6, always ate lower carbs because they made me feel sluggish, been going to the gym for 30 years because I like to & had a full time job being on my feet & moving all day
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    goragon wrote: »
    Could a 56 year old sneak in and join your group, trying to lose another 40 lbs.

I don't think anyone checks IDs at the door. 😉

Speaking for myself, welcome!
  • thecat
    thecat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    cherylre wrote: »
    Hi. Looking for friends 60 and older to help keep us all motivated. Maybe checking in with each other every day to keep us on track. Just started yesterday, have to lose 30 lbs. The older u get the harder it seems to get.

• thecat
    Options
    Good Morning and Happy 4th of July weekend!!!

Yes, that would be great, I am 65 yrs old and just started yesterday and really need to lose 30 lbs as well.
  • thecat
    Options
    ljopurcell wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I gained weight from being inactive due to arthritis in hips. Hard to lose.

• thecat
    Options
    It is so hard to want to move or exercise when your in pain. I gained weight from not exercising and of course eating badly. I understand what you mean as I have Fibromyalgia.
  • thecat
    Options
    Hi all add me, I am 71 and ill health looking for daily motivation / best wishes Dea from Down Under