60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• thecat
    thecat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    thecat wrote: »
    Hi all add me, I am 71 and ill health looking for daily motivation / best wishes Dea from Down Under

• thecat
    thecat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am new here at MFP, How do I add you?
  • 66keto
    66keto Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im 67 and looking to lose 20lb. I need to get exercise back into my days . walking the dog isnt enough i have just found a 17 min strength training post which i'm going to try starting today and will be dusting off the X trainer .
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Want to welcome newbies to this group. Glad you're here. I started calorie counting & losing weight where I was 62 & I don't know why but it wasn't hard for me. I found I gained the most weight during peri menopause & that's when it was hard to lose.
    hmm... I hadn't thought about the health part before. My husband's been on medications for a long time. He had afib for many years & got cardioverted a few times & another proceedure got him out of it but he converted back to it earlier this year & hasn't felt the same since he came out of it again. He takes other medication too for BP etc. I don't take any meds or have any issues except the usual aches with getting older & I'm much more active than he is so good point
    Are any of you doing the summer 5% challenge? first time I've heard of it, apparently it's been going on for some years. I signed up. Sounds like fun. You can find it under the groups tab
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Greetings to @calmed153, @thecat, @wnqnkdbf92, and anyone else new I may've missed! @mtaratoot, I think you might've previously tested the loose age-based admissions policies a time or two already? ;)

@wnqnkdbf92, in case you haven't already seen it, there's a good thread here about hypothyroidism and weight management:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

It was written by a (former?) MFP-er who's a scientist in that field, himself hypothyroid (if I recall correctly, thyroid gland surgically removed), who lost weight by calorie counting. Unlike much of what one might find at random on the web, it's solid, science-based information about the subject.

For what it's worth, I'm severely hypothyroid myself, though not Hashi's as far as I know. I've been hypo for well over 20 years. I'm properly medicated, and didn't find that for me hypothyroidism had any material affect on my weight loss or maintenance. It may differ for you, especially if your full-panel test results or subjective experience with the condition are not the same as mine.

I'm fortunate: Mine responds well to basic generic levothyroxine, though it takes a fairly high dose; and my doctors have been willing to treat in part based on my sense of well-being, not just lab report numbers. I do best when medicated to down near the bottom of the normal TSH range, or even a tiny bit below. I know some doctors treat to achieve center of the normal range, and that may be fine (if it's fine subjectively), but it's not what best helps me.

Best wishes for success, to all of you!

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,239 Member
    Options
    wnqnkdbf92 wrote: »
    I feel like one of those noobs who is named ‘user16549806543’ but I ended up with this name, tried to change it, and it didn’t take.

I’m embarking on a new health journey and want some folks to keep in touch with. Hashimotos, hypothyroid, severe asthmatic who wants to improve my health.

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome!

You're supposed to be able to change your name once and only once. Try again. If it doesn't work, submit a help ticket. Someone will help you fix the problem. I see it's spelled wnqndbf92, but how is it pronounced?
  • Jadiva18
    Jadiva18 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who posted about weighing more than their husbands. It seems like it’s harder to lose weight now that I am older. I need to lose 13 pounds to be at his weight of 146. I did tell him my size 36DDD bust weighs about 7 pounds. I measured them on food scale 😂😂. Do you think I can count that as half my needed weight loss ? 😂😂
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options

@ridiculous59 My favorite dragon boat call is "Let it ride!" :D

E nigma

Me too 😆😆
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you @Pdc654 , I'm similar to you in that I was part of this community couple years ago & even though I was still logging my food (took a short break), I just recently came back to this group. I wasn't part of any group for quite a while & decided to pick one so I don't spread myself thin trying to keep up so I chose this one. I am currently part of the 5% challenge group too but thats for the summer. So glad you got off some meds
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    @Evamutt. Hello and welcome back. I saw your story also about your job in the hospital and working conditions there. Glad you were able to leave as well. Hospitals are so understaffed. It must have been a nightmare. Did you retire or did you find another job?
  • marci320
    marci320 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @Evamutt your job sounds like it was a nightmare! I'm so glad you got out as well. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I wanted to know as well whether you retired or found another job. I'm at that crossroads. @pdc654 you are a rock star! I'm encouraged by your story. My goal is to get off all medications. I do hope you can get your blood pressure up though; don't want you fainting or something. It sounds as though you have a very full and wonderful life. When my job got so busy all I could handle was work and I quit all other activities. I'm looking forward to getting back to seeing my friends on a regular basis, doing some volunteer work again, singing with my church, and resting as well. It is funny you said you were able to lose weight easier after you retired and I lost 5 pounds this week now that I can plan my meals and am not eating at my desk, in the car, or on the run. I hope you all have a great day!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    marci320 wrote: »
    @Evamutt your job sounds like it was a nightmare! I'm so glad you got out as well. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I wanted to know as well whether you retired or found another job. I'm at that crossroads. @pdc654 you are a rock star! I'm encouraged by your story. My goal is to get off all medications. I do hope you can get your blood pressure up though; don't want you fainting or something. It sounds as though you have a very full and wonderful life. When my job got so busy all I could handle was work and I quit all other activities. I'm looking forward to getting back to seeing my friends on a regular basis, doing some volunteer work again, singing with my church, and resting as well. It is funny you said you were able to lose weight easier after you retired and I lost 5 pounds this week now that I can plan my meals and am not eating at my desk, in the car, or on the run. I hope you all have a great day!

@marci320 Thank you for your kind words. HaHa, yeah, I don't want to faint either. I almost did one day. My blood pressure was really low this morning , 95/54. I took it 3 times to see if it was a fluke. That's the lowest it's been. And that's after 5 days of cutting out a half pill of the amlodipine. I'm off of it completely starting today. I do think that was really unusual because it's been running about 105/60. Low but still in the normal range. I am still taking one BP med called Losarten.

Yes, leaving that stressful job you were in should help a great deal. I also am an emotional eater, and when I'm stressed, I'm more likely to reach for the comfort food. One thing that I've learned reading the forums here on MFP, is if you can build habits that are so part of you that they become second nature, it will help you avoid resorting back to the old ways. Like grabbing for the high calorie comfort food when stressed. I hope the last 2 years have done that for me. Or at least help me return to normal eating quickly if I do give in occasionally.

Best wishes as you embrace this life change to the fullest.