60 yrs and up

Replies

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,899 Member
    Hi and welcome @elithea175!

Your posts are coming through loud and clear 😃

There is a bookmark symbol at the top of each thread page which you can click on (it will turn solid blue, looks like the tail end of a forked ribbon) and will make it easier to find us again.

I use Fitbit to track steps and exercise (and sleep!), but I use this app, MFP, to track food and water. Fitbit links with MFP, so I can see steps and extra activity calories burned in my food diary. I find they work very well in tandem.

This is exactly how I do it too. My Fitbit is three years old though and I'm not sure what to replace it with when it finally stops working. I love its simplicity, but google/Fitbit is changing everything.so not sure whether to stick with it or try something else, like a basic Garmin.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,622 Member
    My son gave me his fitbit some time ago because he doesn't use it but I'm having a problem getting the app for it so I haven't used it. Do you have to pay for the app? So far it has a fee
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,589 Member
    @Evamutt, love my Fitbit!
    The app is free, but similar to MFP there is a premium membership also available, which I do not feel the need for.
  • BCLadybug888
    Hello @clayton510 -'not sure how you got past the doorman, but since you're here...make yourself at home 😘, you can be the young'un!

Welcome @58marianoz, you have done very well, brava.
  • elithea175
    elithea175 Posts: 34 Member
    I use Fitbit to track steps and exercise…

i also have a smart scale connected to fitbit. tomorrow is my first weigh-in since coming over to mfp and i’ll be interested to see if fitbit sends the weight it gets from vsync over to mfp, or if i will need to remember to log it myself. i’ve been on program for a week, but i’ll consider that first weight my actual starting one. gotta start somewhere.
  • elithea175
    as a follow up to my last comment, the scale seemingly did not forward the weigh-in info to fitbit, BUT mfp *does* show this morning’s info. mfp is not connected to the scale so it must have gotten it through fitbit, there’s no other route. but no new info is showing up on the fitbit app!

i give.up.
  • elithea175
    as a follow up to my last comment, fitbit doesn’t show this morning’s weigh-in info but mfp does. so we know the scale is transmitting and info is flying around, fitbit is simply DOA except for energy tracking. i have no reason to ever go to their now unreliable app! google took a great product and simply borked it.
  • BCLadybug888
    @elithea175, so strange that scale updated MFP via Fitbit, but not Fitbit itself! I always record my weight here on MFP manually, and it then updates on Fitbit, but not using a smart scale.
  • BCLadybug888
    Hello all, my daughter came over after church and we went to de Dutch Pannekoek (very thin large pancakes) for brunch and I had a savoury one made with onion, deBakon, tomatoes and Dutch cheese (Edam I think). You can have them made sweet or savoury - so good! I had plotted what to have yesterday and planned my diary for today accordingly.

Then we went to a shady Park to sit and read under the trees, but I did go for a short walk. Was breezy today and almost cool in the deep shade sitting, but as soon as I ventured out for my walk it was broiling in the sun!

We had a pedicure appointment at 4pm, so I have pretty toes again 🙂. There was a flower shop that also sells houseplants next to the nail salon, which is sort of my kryptonite, and brought a new one home, love the foliage 😍48cbiof9dm6u.jpg

Yesterday my main focus was watching Dune part 2, which took me about 6 hours as it is long and I kept pausing to do things...the only reason I was watching it was because my SiLaw had highly recommended Dune, and lent me the DVD to watch, which I watched but was not completely enamoured with...it was a very long movie - and I had been really irritated nearing the end, as I realized there must be another one to watch since the story was NOT wrapping up! And then to find out it hadn't been released yet!! So you can imagine my feelings as I entered the 5th hour of part 2 with the dawning realization that the story was not likely to wrap up thus time either! Aargh. Bring on part 3 I guess...

My weight has been pretty steady all week and I have maintained my deficit, looking for a drop soon.🤞

Keep on keeping on folks!
  • clayton510
    clayton510 Posts: 8 Member
    @BCLadybug888 Very pretty plant! We joke at school that I have a bad aura because I can’t keep any plants alive, not even air plants… lol! I love looking at them though, and I take the students to the garden area a lot. It’s really calming.

I went for my daily walk. I try to get in at least one hour or 3 miles outside (treadmill on bad weather days). I bought resistance bands at advice of nutritionist but haven’t done a workout yet. She said we lose 10% of our muscle mass every decade and cardio isn’t enough. Given my labs I should live another 30 years, but she said I won’t be able to care for myself because my muscle won’t support my body. That’s scary… they have a machine (can’t remember the name) that measures everything internally… body fat, muscle, weight, etc… so that’s my goal in the coming weeks…. Work on strength training. Doing well logging food and staying within calories, but still struggling a bit with macros.
  • clayton510
    clayton510 Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you for all the comments about Fitbit… seems there are issues with Google. Might wait to get one to see if it improves.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,944 Member
    clayton510 wrote: »
    @BCLadybug888 Very pretty plant! We joke at school that I have a bad aura because I can’t keep any plants alive, not even air plants… lol! I love looking at them though, and I take the students to the garden area a lot. It’s really calming.

I have a brown thumb too.

But now I can grow a few plants - including a couple orchids that I have kept alive for almost a year - because I have been using an app called Planta.

Just FYI. I have found it well worth the small yearly fee. $35. Less expensive than a bunch of dead plants. o:)
  • jdoe0512
    jdoe0512 Posts: 10 Member
    I'm 61 and tracking calories as a way to help me lose 10 pounds before I hike the Alta Via 1 in the Dolomites of northern Italy in 6 weeks. I could do the hike with my weight today, but I will enjoy it much more -10 lbs.
    Add me if you want to share motivation. :smile:
  • elithea175
    @BCLadybug888 sorry to keep bombarding you but you seem to be the only one in the whole place who answers anything! after spending days getting mfp/fitbit/scale set up, injust got a place in noom’s pre-diabetes program. i got it to connect with fitbit but can’t figure out how to connect noom with mfp. i read on reddit that you can connect via apple health, but i can’t get mfp to connect to apple health either, it just sticks on the connecting screen.

do you have any clue the best was to avoid having to double entry food logging? or know where i might look? mfp help is useless!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,622 Member
    Forgive me if I already told ya'll but I went to the Dr & he ordered chest xray, labs & UA tests & they all came back good so couldn't find anything but one of our sons says they're having the same symptoms so I don't know but I did feel much better Friday & did many "chores" I haven't done in a while like mowing the backyard, moping etc but was tired on Saturday (birthday party day)& Sunday. Today I'm kinda tired but my legs are sore. Went for walk with dogs then took them to dog park but I didn't walk around much like I usually do because my legs are sore. I don't know whats going on. So today is when I'm going to make the zucchini balls also making chicken thighs in the air fryer oven I bought when our oven didn't work . I don't turn the oven on during the hot summer but the air fryer oven I use because it doesn't let out a lot of heat so I cook more things. I gained 2 lbs. It doesn't sound like much but it makes a difference how my clothes fit, so I'm working on it. It's odd how I was at the lowest range of my maintenance last November & December. I usually gain a few lbs during the winter