60 yrs and up

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,622 Member
    edited August 16
    Glad you got & get to go on vacay @BCLadybug888 I really think realistically about the commitments I want to make or try it out before I commit. Maybe you might want to try it on your own first? just a thought or I'll just dive right in to challenge myself on some. I've had a busy week. I pushed myself to exercise more this week & yesterday I had a busy day. Had 2 of our grandkids from 7-noon. went for long dog walk with a friend & the older grand dtr, mowed the backyard, did some cleaning & went to Bible study & got home near 9pm so today I'm so tired! We are up the left overs yesterday except for the red cabbage & veggie salad so I have to cook dinner today but really don't want to. We don't really have anything else for dinner. I didn't buy the already cooked frozen chicken from Costco yet like I normally do for days like this so I'm going to get started before I get any more tired/sleepy. I'm going to make mushroom risotto in the instant pot for the first time & some chicken breasts to have with it. Happy Friday everyone
  • Evamutt
    What beautiful scenery @ridiculouse59 I'm glad your shoulder was okay & your sharing helped me in that I have shoulder pain sometimes & wasn't sure if working with weights was a good or bad idea
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,589 Member
    Happy 65th Birthday @ridiculous59, what an inspiring way to celebrate 🍾 glad you both got to spend time out on the lakes like that. Looks beautiful and very calm. Well done!
    Tent looks sleek but tiny, did it fit both of you??
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,589 Member
    Oh, man @ridiculous59, that looks like a fabulous trip! I'm envious. I used to do canoe-camping vacations in Algonquin Park in Ontario, and your photos are making me nostalgic. (Nicer mountains on your trip, besides. :) ). Thanks for sharing!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 1,002 Member
    @ridiculous59 What a FANTASTIC trip! I haven’t canoed or kayaked in years, so much fun!

@AnnPT77 Algonquin Provincial Park: Blast from the past. My family and I camped in the area throughout my childhood. Very fond memories.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited August 18
    Evamutt wrote: »
    What beautiful scenery @ridiculouse59 I'm glad your shoulder was okay & your sharing helped me in that I have shoulder pain sometimes & wasn't sure if working with weights was a good or bad idea

Years ago I was walking the dog on a muddy trail, slipped while going down a steep bit, and grabbed onto some brush behind me to stop my fall. Classic way to injure your rotator cuff! I went for physio and faithfully did all their exercises but quite honestly, it wasn't getting any better. So I said "Fine! I'll do this my way" and did no upper body exercises for the rest of the winter. In other words, complete rest for it. And by spring it felt normal again. I aggravated it a second time a few years later while doing a 30 day yoga challenge. By day 20 it was hurting but my stubbornness wouldn't let me quit till I'd finished. So yeh, 30 days in a row of downward dogs = long healing time for rotator cuff. Once it felt better though I started doing regular strength exercises for my upper body and so far so good. I dragon boat a couple of times a week in the summer (intense paddling), kayak, cross country ski in the winter, and of course the recent four day canoe trip, and no problems whatsoever with my shoulder these days. We're all different, and there's so much going on in our shoulder area, but that's what seems to have worked for me.

Here I am carrying one of the bags on a portage
    5lvy9uv7x1la.jpeg
  • ridiculous59
    Happy 65th Birthday @ridiculous59, what an inspiring way to celebrate 🍾 glad you both got to spend time out on the lakes like that. Looks beautiful and very calm. Well done!
    Tent looks sleek but tiny, did it fit both of you??

It's a three-man tent. Would it fit three people? No way haha. But it fit the two of us with our head and feet in opposite directions.
  • ridiculous59
    Soo…. This has been happening in the town next door to me.

Those are not house lights. That’s a forest fire.

z95kgqsb1zy3.jpeg

They’re calling it the Jupiter Fire because it’s on Jupiter mountain in the Olympic Mountains. Started Thursday afternoon and became very active very quickly.

The tiny town of Brinnon has a fire department that has six firefighters.

SIX.

So of course immediately crews from all over the Olympic Peninsula got involved.

Hot Shot crews flew in from Arizona, and they’ve now got state and federal assistance.

I have some friends who live in the evacuation zone. Right now it’s voluntary. Friday pretty much everyone in the county with a horse trailer showed up to help evacuate large animals. Many of which are now chillin’ at our fairgrounds.

We had some hard rain tonight so I think the worst of it is over, but that’s just a guess.

I live in BC and we have our share of fires every year so I know what you're going through. You just feel so on edge all the time. But that thump thump thump of the helicopters that you actually feel deep in your chest is the sound of help. My son spends part of every summer working on fires and they know what they're doing. But it's extra stressful for people who have livestock and horses to deal with. Here's hoping for lots of rain (but no lightning!)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,889 Member
    @MargaretYakoda

I haven't been to that area in a couple years, but it's a place I love to come to dive. It may look very different next time I am there. I hope it's a low intensity fire that leaves many (or even most) of the trees. The fires we've had around here lately have been really large and devastated entire landscapes. One of the fires two years ago burned through an area with a historic burn that left a lot of dead trees. Now it looks like a moonscape. I'll actually be up there on Friday kayaking. We have big fires again this year, but it seems like it's been a lot less than the last few years.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,944 Member
    edited August 18
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @MargaretYakoda

I haven't been to that area in a couple years, but it's a place I love to come to dive. It may look very different next time I am there. I hope it's a low intensity fire that leaves many (or even most) of the trees. The fires we've had around here lately have been really large and devastated entire landscapes. One of the fires two years ago burned through an area with a historic burn that left a lot of dead trees. Now it looks like a moonscape. I'll actually be up there on Friday kayaking. We have big fires again this year, but it seems like it's been a lot less than the last few years.

If you’re coming up 101, stop by The Halfway House for lunch. Or pre-order a dinner to go. That’s where they’re staging the meals for the fire crews. The food is good too.
    https://www.brinnonhalfwayhouse.com/

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,589 Member
    I feel awful for those in the fire zones, especially for those most directly threatened, but also for those simply near.

People here (mid-Michigan) did some whining last season about the air quality issues that came our way from the Canadian wildfires (me included sometimes, to my shame). But we've been very fortunate here in nearly all respects from the weather and climate changes - extremely lucky, and it's important to realize how much worse things have gotten for others.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,889 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @MargaretYakoda

If you’re coming up 101, stop by The Halfway House for lunch. Or pre-order a dinner to go. That’s where they’re staging the meals for the fire crews. The food is good too.
    https://www.brinnonhalfwayhouse.com/

I have eaten there. If you're there for breakfast, order braised eggs. It's how I make eggs at home now!
  • Evamutt
    @MargaretYakoda I do hope they get it under control soon before it does more damage. This year here in California near us hasn't been too bad but the last couple of years it has with lots of evacuations, smoke & in some places ash. Thank you for the info about the shoulder @ridiculous59 my shoulder has been ok lately doing some weights at home but not over doing it
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,589 Member
    We had some incredible thunder, lightening and the hard rain here overnight too. So happy for the rain!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited August 19
    I am finally getting a chance to catch up here today. We had a big family party which we finally were able to do because we have redone our deck, bathroom and finally the kitchen. We still have more to do on our house.

I have been finally getting to exercising 6 days a week. I was told to do 30 minutes but have been doing longer walks on some days. We always do about 50 minutes of aquafit too a week. Today my goal is to make it around Greenlake which I used to walk/run around several times a week. I will have to take a few rests today along the way. They have a lot of benches.

I have been making my way through Outlive a book by Peter Atila MD. who is among other things an expert in longevity which is really more for 40-year-olds to prevent health problems. But I want to do what I can to keep as healthy as possible. His premise is that modern medicine focuses and keeping us alive but not necessarily healthy and that most diseases we die from start decades before we start treating for them. I read Younger Next Year too quite a while ago. I think this book and that book have the same bias as does medicine. It is from the male prospective. The research in medicine is the same. I read mostly fiction. I read a lot but my 1st priority now is improving my health and fitness hence taking on this huge non-fiction book. It is interesting and helpful. My brother the doctor recommended it.
  • ridiculous59
    I haven't read Younger Next Year but I've read and re-read Thinner This Year by Chris Crowley and Jennifer Sachek. I really liked it and whenever I need a reminder of what I should be doing, I pull out that book for a re-fresh. Some of Chris' syntax is dated, but the advice is not, especially Jennifer's. Eat well, in moderation, exercise, and maintain a sense of community.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,321 Member
    I didn't make it around Greenlake yesterday but I did walk longer and farther there than I have lately been able to. Right now I have upped my exercise up from 1 Aquafit session to adding at least 30 minutes during each weekday. I have been pushing for 1 day to be a longer walk and I am doing 1-2 strength training sessions for the weekday exercise. I really wasn't doing much since our trips to France and to see my Son, DIL and grandson's Thanksgiving. So this is a big accomplishment.

I have lost 8 lbs since I retired from full-time work. Last month I lost the most weight and this month I finally achieved my goal of exercising 6 days a week at least 30 minutes. I think this week I will be able to start to make progress on both. My other goal is to cook most meals at home. With 3 adults working full time we were eating out or taking out too much. I tend to lose when I am not working full-time since I get more exercise and cook at home. Since we eat healthy when we eat home cooked meals I lose. However this time when I started to up my exercise my weight loss stopped. So today is a watershed since I have been exercising more and lost weight too. I am not doing IF but I don't have to have breakfast right away since I don't have to start work at 8. On days I worked remotely I usually brought my breakfast down to my home office and ate it while I started work. I would grab breakfast on the way to work and eat it during my commute.

We still have what we call Friday breakfast which is usually Starbucks or I can go to a cafe. I do have a goal to be able to walk to the nearest cafe, spend and hour there and walk back thereby earning my latte and pastry for my 'Friday breakfast'. My walk yesterday gets me close to this goal.

Anyway being retired means that most of breakfasts are healthy and most of our other meals too. I am getting regular exercise finally. However I need to lose weight but I am starting to lose.