It's never to late....... I hope:-)

Options
Hi everyone. I'm Cheryl, age 73 and been heavy all my life yet, every now and then I try something new in hopes that it's something I can live with. From what I've seen about the Keto diet, it's not only the rage right now, but it works. I'm one of those who has to see results or I get discouraged. So, I'm ready to get started with this. I've read several articles, bought the little "pee strips" and a nice cookbook, made a grocery list and now I'm ready to start. If there's anyone else out there starting Keto, maybe we could do this together, and encourage each other. My first hurdle is figuring out how to calculate my macros. Anyone found an easy way to do this? PLEASE fill me in if you have. After that, I'll have to figure a way to maneuver around this site. It's a challenge, but I'm up for it.

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,717 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP Community. :) It's never too late to take charge of your health.

Here's a link to our largest low-carb group. Not everyone there does keto, but many do:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

Here's a keto group:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

And here's a group for paleo/primal enthusiasts:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group

Here's a link to a very nice group of 50+ ladies that have a monthly support thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10715069/women-ages-50-for-january-2019#latest

Best wishes to you on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    shayly70 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm Cheryl, age 73 and been heavy all my life yet, every now and then I try something new in hopes that it's something I can live with. From what I've seen about the Keto diet, it's not only the rage right now, but it works. I'm one of those who has to see results or I get discouraged. So, I'm ready to get started with this. I've read several articles, bought the little "pee strips" and a nice cookbook, made a grocery list and now I'm ready to start. If there's anyone else out there starting Keto, maybe we could do this together, and encourage each other. My first hurdle is figuring out how to calculate my macros. Anyone found an easy way to do this? PLEASE fill me in if you have. After that, I'll have to figure a way to maneuver around this site. It's a challenge, but I'm up for it.

Hi Cheryl. No it's never too late, 71 here, I'm
    Not familiar with the Keto plan, wishing you well in your journey, good luck
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    For sure NOT. I am 74. Started on this journey about 9 months ago. "Floundered" a bit, losing and gaining athe same pounds, until I figured out what wirked for ME (the key ... almost anythig "works" you have to discover what will be effective and sustainable for YOU.)

Once I figured everything out, it has been fairly smooth sailing and I have lost 60 pounds (3 pounds from the low end of my maintenance range).

You can do this! Give yourself permission the first month or so to experiment and learn what works ... regardless of what regimen you adopt, the first weeks are a learning process. Start tracking every bite, every day. Finally, find a group on MFP that focuses on process (building healthy habits more than just weight lost). The support and accountability will be helpful.

If I can be helpful, feel free to add me as a friend.
  • shayly70
    shayly70 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you Jan for your reply. I'm as new to maneuvering this site as I am to the Keto diet I started today. It's taking me awhile to figure out where I need to post my foods and also find friends or people who have replied to my introduction. How encouraging to hear that you've lost 60 lbs!!! That's wonderful!!! I hope one day I'll be able to post that kind of loss for someone else to read. Though I have many more lbs to lose than that, my goal right now is 25lbs. You know what they say about baby steps. I don't want to overwhelm myself from the get go:-) Ok, now I need to figure out how to add you as a friend. Don't give up on me, I'll figure this out:-)
  • shayly70
    shayly70 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    By the way Jan, it was a relief to me when you said to give myself permission the first month to experiment. I needed to hear that. Thanks!!