February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    considering three marathons. it will be close with training but i should be fine to finish.
    one's big
    one's smaller on a rails to trail and local trails
    one's even smaller, not flat

Wow, that third one better be tough to live up to that name!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    considering three marathons. it will be close with training but i should be fine to finish.
    one's big

vvruakjtu925.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    one's big

vvruakjtu925.png

Honestly, that does not look very bad.
  • mbaker566
    edited February 2019
    Options
    one's big

vvruakjtu925.png

in and of itself it's not that bad, but the hills never start. up down up down. so that does get a bit wearing. i run in that area and in the area of the second one. similar terrain (moraines)

but there is a 20% off code for the first one today
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    one's big

vvruakjtu925.png

in and of itself it's not that bad, but the hills never start. up down up down. so that does get a bit wearing. i run in that area and in the area of the second one. similar terrain (moraines)

but there is a 20% off code for the first one today

I mean if you were used to running in Florida, New Jersey, or someplace else flat that would be insane. It is all about what you are used to. :smiley:
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @Elise4270 Or if looking for Bear in a Native tongue Awasos is Abenaki for bear or the Mohawk word for bear is Okwari (pronounced Oh-kwal-lee)...just some more suggestions, :D
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    one's big

vvruakjtu925.png

I agree. I did a 12K once in Nebraska with just as much cumulative gain.

@mbaker566 I noticed that 2 of those 3 are on the same day (4/6), so you would have to choose between those. Are you saying you want to do only 1 of those 3? Or are you saying you are trying to choose between the first 2 and plan to do the 3rd as well?
  • mbaker566
    Options
    one's big

vvruakjtu925.png

I agree. I did a 12K once in Nebraska with just as much cumulative gain.

@mbaker566 I noticed that 2 of those 3 are on the same day (4/6), so you would have to choose between those. Are you saying you want to do only 1 of those 3? Or are you saying you are trying to choose between the first 2 and plan to do the 3rd as well?

just one, my first one.
  • mbaker566
    edited February 2019
    Options
    so do any of the three get any one excited? like if you lived in my area, you would totally race it.
    i've done big races, i've done small races.
    the swag is nice for the big one but that's a lot of people and traffic. but something small might be nice. running holy hill might be a nice first but that one will be hard. the second, you climb a lookout tower and involves the stupid steep inclines of the state park.
    i'm really torn

i wish i had long distance running friends nearby. someone to cheer me on...
  • mbaker566
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @midwesterner85 very good point about the crowd. especially since i won't have anyone waiting for me at the finish line

@kartharmonic for us it's biggish. our marathons aren't very popular. 5ks are king. MKE-the biggest small town :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Elise4270 wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @Elise4270 What a little sweetie! He reminds me of a "Smokey" we used to have.

We're at an impasse on the name. All the cats have food names, no idea how that happened... Bean, noodles, goober... This guy is beary to me. See hes Russian blue, bear- russia has iconic bears and berry cuz its food and hes so dang tiny. Dh wants to call him Sergei. So.. serbear-y?

I like Smokey myself. :)

Bacon.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 very good point about the crowd. especially since i won't have anyone waiting for me at the finish line

@kartharmonic for us it's biggish. our marathons aren't very popular. 5ks are king. MKE-the biggest small town :)

Lakefront Marathon has something like 3000+ I think, but it's in October. I've got that one on my list to do some day. After I do the Twin Cities Marathon though.
  • mbaker566
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Milwaukee marathon has had issues with execution and distance.
    Idk if they had it last year. But new management or something along those lines. Yay. I think I will try to sign up tomorrow.

Lakefront is on my list but i want to be looking more at a 50k around that time. If it fits, i might run it.

Via has a new 10k this year. Maybe I'll try that.

Thanks all for the input. (I didn't even think about the shoes @7lenny7 )
  • JulieS3103
    JulieS3103 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 I would come out and cheer for you!
    I don't know much about those three races, the only Milwaukee area marathon I've ever really looked into was Lakefront last year and then I got hurt training for it. Personally I think I would want a bigger crowd so if it was me I would probably pick Milwaukee Marathon.