WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I hope you’re able to get some sleep Machka. Hopefully you’ll feel better when you wake up.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,689 Member
    Options
    well good morning..
    Please keep my DB in your prayers ,I have spoke with my SIL and he has left her... I dont really know what is going on but it comes down to money... I havent heard from him since thursday.. and I hope he is safe..

I havent gotten on the scale for a week or so, and I got on it this morning and was flabbergasted that I am 4 lbs... I am still eating the way I have been , but not going to give up..
    Alfie going to uncle Toms today while Dave comes to paint..Tom will drop him off later..after I get out of work,,
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I am up and Hubs is off to the airport. I really should go color my roots, but our heat doesn’t kick up warmer until five and it’s really chilly right now for me to be standing in the bathroom doing my roots. I think I’m just being extra lazy, but then again, it is just 4 AM.

Okie in the TX Hill Country

Nope.
    Extra lazy is...me!
    I don't color my hair.

Karen in Virginia

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
    Tyttt
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: I am so sorry that you are not feeling good. I hope today is better than yesterday. :flowerforyou:

Okie: I know how you might be feeling. I have gained back a few pounds and am working my way back down to the weight where my knee doesn’t hurt. :embarassed: :ohwell:

Machka: I’ve always been told that the body repairs itself while you sleep. Rest well! :flowerforyou:

Allie: Never give up! You seem to be doing better, despite the occasional bump in the road. Good for you. :smiley:

Karen & Okie: I colored my hair once & didn’t like the way it came out— :noway: I had a perm as a kid and again after my second child was born. I finally learned the lesson that perms are not for me. Both of them left me looking like I could win a Harpo Marx look-alike contest. It wasn’t pretty or habit forming. :noway:

Beth: Happy holiday from work! :bigsmile:

I have yoga today at 10 am & need to get going. I want to spend some time on an exercise bike to burn a few calories and get myself warmed up before yoga..

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Lisa: You seem to be doing so well. I am trying to screw up the courage to make an appointment to check into the knee replacement. One of my problems is deciding which knee to do first. Also, I am terrified after seeing the picture you posted of the open knee and the pain you felt after coming home. I am so tired of walking like an old lady and not being able to sit/stand or go down slopes/stairs without pain.

Hair Coloring: I have been doing that since I was in college. When I turned 70 in August, I decided that my too blonde color was making me look older than I felt so dyed it light brown. Now, I am ready to go back to blonde because it blends in better when the white starts showing. My mom and my grandmother both got theirs colored up to their deaths at 90. Dark brown.

Question: Have any of you had your air ducts cleaned? Did it do any good on the dust? I spent over an hour vacuuming before lunch and I was shocked at all the dust bunnies and fuzz. My house is 30 yrs old and has never had the ducts cleaned before.

Carol in GA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    :)
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Carol in GA - My only advice (at this stage of my own recovery) would be that it's a trade-off of short-term pain and a lot of physical therapy work in order to make my life pain free in the future. As the saying goes, you have to decide what you want most. I've learned that, without the pain medication, even as high as my pain tolerance is, it's higher than that. With the pain medication in my system, I can tolerate it quite well.

That's not to scare you, it's to help you decide for yourself. My own decision point was basically that, no matter what I did or didn't do, my knee was deteriorating more every year. It was stopping me from living my life, and keeping myself healthy. To me, it was worth the work and the pain in the short term for the long-term goal of being pain-free and being able to exercise for my own health.

It's possible that there are other options for you - they may be able to give you cortisone shots or SynVisc shots that will give you a few more years before you have to make the decision. Worth seeing a doctor, as knee replacement truly is a last resort.

Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Carol in GA - My only advice (at this stage of my own recovery) would be that it's a trade-off of short-term pain and a lot of physical therapy work in order to make my life pain free in the future. As the saying goes, you have to decide what you want most. I've learned that, without the pain medication, even as high as my pain tolerance is, it's higher than that. With the pain medication in my system, I can tolerate it quite well.

That's not to scare you, it's to help you decide for yourself. My own decision point was basically that, no matter what I did or didn't do, my knee was deteriorating more every year. It was stopping me from living my life, and keeping myself healthy. To me, it was worth the work and the pain in the short term for the long-term goal of being pain-free and being able to exercise for my own health.

It's possible that there are other options for you - they may be able to give you cortisone shots or SynVisc shots that will give you a few more years before you have to make the decision. Worth seeing a doctor, as knee replacement truly is a last resort.

Love,
    Lisa in AR

You’re so right with what you are saying about the pain medication. I took care of my husband’s 84-year-old aunt when she went through her knee replacement surgery. Not liking to take medication she wanted to cut down right away. I told her that she needed to keep the medication level up in her body so that she would be able to do the physical therapy that was required to help her knee to heal properly. For three weeks we performed the exercise routinely and she was walking normally without pain and driving by herself at the end of three weeks. You are doing fantastic!! Keep up the great work!!

Karen - very cute pictures of the twins!

Mary from Arizona
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    We were going to catch the bus to Rottingdean and then walk back 3 miles under the chalk cliffs. I decided the weather wasn't good enough for me, so I caught a bus into town and bought myself a tooth mug to match my bathroom. :D
    DH went off regardless. The bus took an hour and it drizzled as he walked back. We will do it another day when the sun is shining, but try to find a more direct bus.

My brother rang this morning to talk about his 'episode' this Saturday. He went to a pop concert and felt sick in the middle. Then he exited to the bar and threw up and fainted. Something like a fit. They ordered him an ambulance, but he had to wait 8 hours in the ER. He us fine now, but is going in for tests on his heart and brain. They think it was nothing much. Hope so.

I colour my hair myself and can't imagine not being a blonde now. Originally I was a mousy brown, but tinted it reddish. I am now grey, but hate that. Love my blonde. :DB) And because I do my roots myself it costs virtually nothing. I still think of myself as a 'bright young thing'. :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Barbie, Lisa, and Mary ~ Thanks for your comments. I just need to get over my anxiety and get it done. I have been getting the cortisone shots every 3 months and have had the series of gel injections.
  • PurpleSparkles85
    PurpleSparkles85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Cheryl,
    I got the typo, I almost didn’t even see it! We are in Bowling Green since 1992. Fond memories of many summers at Great America. We also lived in Bloomington, when DH finished his training, and LaSalle/Peru. Love living in college towns!

Kathy
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    CarolI had the ducts cleaned at my son's house. We have hot water heat no ducts. He also cleaned the furnace which he said was one of the worst he had seen. He did use brushes to clean the ducts. At first things seemed to still get dusty. I think he stirred up the dust in the furnace. Son has changed the filter a couple of times because they got so dirty so fast. Now it appears much better in the house. I had it done because it was a rehab and I could see the dust in the vents.

The guy we used recommends it done every three to five years depending on it you have pets. The cost will vary depending on who does it. I would recommend one who uses brushes to clean them out. Son has a small house and it was around $300.

If you are getting a lot of dust I would recommend it along with frequently changing the filter in furnace/AC.

:heart: Margaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Ther seems to be a lot of ladies eating keto and low carb. Here is a great thread that shows keto meals.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10535785/post-your-keto-dinner-pics#latest

Mary from Arizona