Have you ever met a famous person? What were they like

Options

Replies

• Blondiegrl11
    Blondiegrl11 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I met Vincent Jackson when his posse tried to recruit me for his entertainment, I had no idea who he was but he seemed like a nice guy. Declined their invitation but got a picture with him for my son.
  • Andy_83
    Andy_83 Posts: 270
    Options
    One more for the Brits but had a beer with Bill Bailey, he's just as he comes across on tv/his standup.
  • zevodactyl
    Options
    I've met a few famous people, it might take more than one post to remember them all.

Neil Gaiman on his most recent book signing tour, he's so sweet and sincere. He seems like he genuinely wants to share a personal moment with each one of his fans. Also hugs.

Amanda Palmer showed up in my city at random and held a surprise fan meet at a book store. She lead me on a winding journey through the many shelves of the poetry section in search of "something whimsical." Very fun.

Penn & Teller hang around after all of their shows in Vegas to meet the fans. Penn is polite and professional, though he seemed in a bit of a hurry to cycle through his mob of adoring fans (they do two shows a night and he seemed very tired, so you really can't blame him.)
    Teller was still full of energy, charismatic and fun.

Brian Posehn after one of his shows in my city, he was nice enough to stop for a picture and a quick word with people he passed.

I've met Fred Armisen a couple times now - he seems quiet and reserved, and always pleasant.

Voltaire bummed a cigarette from one of my friends one day before one of his concerts, he's pretty cool.

Tommy Wiseau, who starred in/produced/directed/wrote The Room, one of the worst movies in the modern world, is just beyond creepy in person. He just seems like some kind of oily space beast trying to assume human form and not quite getting the mannerisms right. He said I was beautiful, and I felt like I needed a shower afterward.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Kenan Thompson is a close childhood friend of mine. When we were kids, he was always the class clown, and he wanted to be in movies and on Saturday Night Live when he grew up. Pretty cool that he did exactly that. Lol.
  • YogaLegs87
    Options
    I've met Gaga. She was very small. Even with the massive shoes. The woman is like 5-nothing! Which to my 5'9 is so leeetle! She was very polite and kind, I didn't manage to get a picture, but I did get my iPhone signed :-)
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    A few. Larry the Cable Guy (I went to Nebraska for undergrad, and at the time, I kid you not, he was the spokesperson for some sort of "get the students to eat more vegetables" campaign). He's nice, I guess. I didn't talk to him much.

Tommy Lee - I was also at Nebraska when Tommy Lee did his reality TV show about trying to go back to college. The producers kept asking me if I'd seen him when he didn't show up for class because I was basically a punk/goth hybrid back then, and therefore totally kept tabs on where Tommy Lee was. Except I didn't, and I only actually talked to him once, as he was showing up for the class he was missing from.

Warren Buffett - I went to grade school with a bunch of Warren Buffett's grandkids, and I met him a few times at science fair. I had no idea who he was at the time. He's a really nice, old grandpa. Never met him in his capacity as an important person, though.

Jim Fowler - I met Jim Fowler of the old Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom series, also through science fair. I guess it was supposed to be a photo op, but we talked about my research, instead. The photographer took a really awkward photograph of us mid-conversation O_o

I also know a lot of well-known archaeologists, but archaeologists tend to only be well-known amongst other archaeologists.
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Margaret Thatcher.. she was quite lovely in person 1988

John Candy... was rather shy.. 1983

Carmine from Laverne and Shirley... saw him at a restaurant in Toronto in the mid 90s.. he just seemed smiley and happy

90210 Jason Priestly at a Thai restaurant in Toronto.. very quiet ... everyone gave him his privacy
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Many,many moons ago, I used to work at an entertainment venue in Ohio, and met several celebs....

Billy Joel let me sit beside him on the piano bench as he warmed up prior to his show. Nicest man you'd ever want to meet, and funny, too. Liked to drink bourbon.

Red Skelton (yep, I am that old) was hilarious, kind, sweet, and generous (big tipper!), and wore huge diamond rings on every finger. He called all us girls "Sweetie". :)

Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo) was grumpy and liked to smoke cigars. He was hard to recognize without his wig and fake moustache. But his love for kids was real...he was really good with them.

The rock band "Boston" was very generous, allowing the venue workers to feast on their goodie table. Syd, the drummer, was constantly cracking jokes. Brad Delft (<--sp?), the lead singer, would nap anywhere he could. We had to rouse him by sprinklng ice water on his face to go onstage on opening night.

Steve Martin was just starting out as a stand-up comic in his "Wild & Crazy Guy" tour,. He was nice but quiet offtstage, and was very talented with a variety of instruments, especially the banjo, and he had a really nice singing voice.

Scott Hamilton, figure skater, was just about the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet, and had a great sense of humour. He was always pulling pranks on the venue management. I never saw him in a bad mood....always smiling.

Cher was a demanding prima donna who was prone to loud verbal arguments with anyone who displeased her.

Barry Manilow was a stuck-up egomaniac and perfectionist. His rehearsals lasted for hours and hours and he never gave anyone a break.

There were many more, but these are the ones that stick out in my memory.

Before moving ot Canada, I was involved in grassroots politics and lobbying, and met several famous politicians. Suffice to say, none of them impressed me enough to mention here. lol
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Oops..one more worth mentioning...

I met Larry Bird (basketball great) in an airport. We sat and chatted about our families. Didn't know who he was until after he boarded, and the guy next to me poked me and said, "Do you have any idea who that was you were talking to?" I replied, "Well, he's tall...was that the guy who wears Big Bird's costume on the Muppet Show?" :laugh:
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Quite a few actually...mostly bands

David Draimen (Disturbed)
    Coby D!ck (Papa Roach)
    All the guys from linkin park several times
    Guys from Slipknot
    Jimmy Buffet
    Tim McGraw
    Jason Aldean
    Luke Bryan

Actors from The Walking Dead

Norman Reedus
    Andrew Lincoln
    Stephen Yuen
    Melissa McBride
    Daniel Thomas May

So far I have not met one that wasn't nice.

OMG! Are you serious? Awesome! I would love to meet the Walking Dead cast!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Just two.
    Billy Gilman - which was totally amazing to me at the time, now I don't think much of it. I think maybe I grew up.
    Charles Bronson - he is related to me somehow, I forget exactly, second cousin or something. I met him a couple times, but I was young and don't remember a lot of it now. He died in 2003.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I waited on Larry Bird and his sister plus her family at Red Lobster once.. he was kind of an *kitten* and didn't leave that great of a tip. lol
  • Tigerman999
    Options
    I look at one every effing day when I look in the mirror.... Dude is A W E S O M E
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was at primary school with Jason Connery (Sean's son). He and his little brother had white blond hair. He pushed me over in the playground.

Well that's interesting! Jason never had a little brother! Yet I remember him and another boy! His mother divorced from Sean Connery in 1973 which was probably about the time I remember. How weird!
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've met the guys from Far East Movement; they were pretty down to earth!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I met Michael Strahan at the Pro Football Hall of fame. He was a total douche canoe!
  • leann8806
    leann8806 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Joe Paterno . My mom went to Penn State and we saw him in a restaurant.
    My sister worked at a resort in Florida and she waited on Derek Jeter frequently.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I met Jennifer Hudson she was really nice
  • nordeast_yah
    Options
    Julia Child.
    She was sweet and kind and encouraging.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I know keith sweat very well. through him ive met kc & jo jo, montell jordan, bbd, en vogue, flava flav, bobby brown, ginuine, flex alexander and shanice, oh and teena marie before she passed. the whole sweat crew (band) athough maybe not so much for famous people but ive hung out with them at least 101 times. And Keith is awesome. Really nice guy. I love him.