For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,082 Member
    Options
    lbgardener wrote: »
    Why is it, otherwise, that children raised in a family that uses hot peppers a lot can handle heat a lot quicker than someone of my anglo-saxon heritage?
    I'm not sure this is true. I was raised on super bland food. Mom was a pretty crappy cook. My gran wasn't a great cook and many horrific church potlucks behind me...but when I was 19, I was introduced to Ethiopian and loved it. Now, as far as I'm concerned, it's not hot if I'm not crying. Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian...the hotter the better. I order vindaloo extra spicy and (well, before covid) the staff would peek around the corners asking eachother if I was eating it. kinda hilarious.

I add cinnamon to stuff and my husbands fam complains about hot. Kitten, please!

Everyone here is making me hungry for veg! Loves them all!! Well, except radish...

Yeah, my late husband was like that (and I am, too, though not as extremely). Both of us were raised on bland, US Midwestern cooking, and are of Northern European heritage (Scandinavian, Dutch). (My dad thought average frozen pizzas - just the regular pizza flavors, not amped up - were too spicy!)

My husband had experiences at a local Korean restaurant (among others) where he ordered something, and the waitress literally told him "American people don't want that". (He insisted, and the dish in question was one of his great favorites, along with things like very spicy Menudo, extra-spicy Thai dishes, etc.)

I'm not quite that extreme, but do enjoy non-toned-down Thai, Mexican, Indian, Ethiopian, and similar spicy cuisines.

It's fine for people to have preferences, and lots of people prefer familiar foods and flavor profiles, but it's not universal, and I don't think it's genetics. ;)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I didn't take a picture, but I got a bag of greens trio 1/2 off and have been eating some version of them for lunch. Today was greens, grape tomatoes, baby bellas, peas, garlic, and Bragg's --steamed with an egg on top.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Why is it, otherwise, that children raised in a family that uses hot peppers a lot can handle heat a lot quicker than someone of my anglo-saxon heritage?
    I'm not sure this is true. I was raised on super bland food. Mom was a pretty crappy cook. My gran wasn't a great cook and many horrific church potlucks behind me...but when I was 19, I was introduced to Ethiopian and loved it. Now, as far as I'm concerned, it's not hot if I'm not crying. Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian...the hotter the better. I order vindaloo extra spicy and (well, before covid) the staff would peek around the corners asking eachother if I was eating it. kinda hilarious.

I add cinnamon to stuff and my husbands fam complains about hot. Kitten, please!

Everyone here is making me hungry for veg! Loves them all!! Well, except radish...

I grew up without any spicy food so anything slightly spicy i didn't want or cared for until i was older. Now i love hot food, but my white lady look sometimes fools the restaurant stuff in a sense that I can't handle the spice level that I'm asking for. And I'm asking for the hottest often, because i love it. So instead they bring me something medium hot which leaves me so disappointed. But if i place an online order to pick up, i get the correct heat level, lol, because they can't judge me by my appearance. So to answer OP question, it's just an adaptation, like most things, IMO.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    So I sauteed the stems of the chestnut mushrooms as well as caps that were too small to stuff to garnish dried porcini risotto. We had that with tomato salad. Leftover risotto will be used to stuff the larger caps, topped with extra cheese and broiled in the air fryer as a starter for Sunday.
    6t1rxb0nqkb6.jpeg

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I want to give radishes another try as my "new" vegetable or fruit for June. I hated them as a kid but there are a number of things I hate as a child that I like now. However, I have no idea what to do with them! Any recipe or prep suggestions?

I love radishes. I like them in salad or just on their own, sometimes with a bit of salt. There is a varietal called a French breakfast radish, but I quite like regular radishes as a side with a breakfast omelet.

They are also good roasted whole.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yeah, my late husband was like that (and I am, too, though not as extremely). Both of us were raised on bland, US Midwestern cooking, and are of Northern European heritage (Scandinavian, Dutch). (My dad thought average frozen pizzas - just the regular pizza flavors, not amped up - were too spicy!)

My husband had experiences at a local Korean restaurant (among others) where he ordered something, and the waitress literally told him "American people don't want that". (He insisted, and the dish in question was one of his great favorites, along with things like very spicy Menudo, extra-spicy Thai dishes, etc.)

I'm not quite that extreme, but do enjoy non-toned-down Thai, Mexican, Indian, Ethiopian, and similar spicy cuisines.

It's fine for people to have preferences, and lots of people prefer familiar foods and flavor profiles, but it's not universal, and I don't think it's genetics. ;)

Yeah, agreed.

Both of my parents were raised in midwestern and far western farming areas for the most part, with very typical food. (Both are of British Isles and German heritage, and my mom also has Swedish.) Both became huge fans of spicy food as adults, and I loved spicy food from a somewhat early age (my sister still doesn't like spicy much but is much more tolerant of it than she used to be.)
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    wwi2gy2e48b9.jpg
    Hamburger salad with onions and peppers, pico
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I got some purple daikon in my produce delivery- has anyone ever used it/ have any recommendations?
    Tia!
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    @just_Tomek
    Thank you! We received four pretty sizable ones, so we may try it a few ways (unless the first trial is super tasty and I get lazy)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options
    I reckon that even though it's a grain, fresh corn could be considered produce. Once dried and ground, I'm probably stretching it, but I did make a good batch of corn sticks and triangles today.

h5slxjholuxg.jpg

I made a couple care packages for neighbors so I didn't eat the whole thing. As revenge, one neighbor gave me some fresh baked banana bread. Bananas are produce. It didn't have a chance.

A few things were different about this batch, but it still turned out well.
    1. I usually pull them out of the oven about five minutes before they are done and slather butter on top. I've noticed they're usually buttery enough that they probably don't need this. I pre-heat the cast iron, then pull it out of the oven right after I put the wet ingredients in the dry mix, and I rub the stick of butter in each space. The trick here is not to have the pan so hot the butter burns, but hot enough that the batter sizzles as I drizzle it in. Makes for really crispy sticks and triangles. So no extra butter in this batch.
    2. I had baking powder on my grocery list, but had forgot my note pad when I went to the store. So while I bought masa, I forgot the powder. I use a scant quarter cup each of whole wheat flour, polenta, and masa, and the rest is corn meal. I use buttermilk so baking soda works as good as powder. So no powder, just soda.
    3. I cooked bacon this morning, in part to put in my Bloody Mary. Hey - salad in a glass is produce, too, right? So I crumbled some of the crispy bits into the batter before putting it in the pans.

Turned out great, and I'm happy to have neighbors to help me eat the stuff.

Salad in a glass:

65uui6p434k8.jpg
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    They were pretty darn good.
    *cut out beautiful bounty pics*

Stunning.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Finally saw Baugna Cauda in a good mag the other day and smiled.

You all keep me feeling well versed:)

Love the almost-summer color in these pics!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,561 Member
    Options
    Don't know why I can't post pictures but can't walk right now so I picked up a farmer's market box again yesterday. I actually pulled out the kohlrabi and cheered it looks so awesome! I'll probably stir-fry the leaves with the Swiss chard. Ended up with onions, potatoes, Swiss Chard, kohlrabi, mandarins, cauliflower, and lettuce. I still have 10 potatoes from the last box so now it's about 20 and I'm cooking for one! My air fryer is coming this week, I know everyone isn't a fan but I don't have a convection oven and my microwave broke and is a combo with the oven so it's going to be pricey to replace, it'll be so nice to be able to reheat food without using the oven or stove.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Nothing but plants, less than 500cal and 50g protein.

8ge5vdrzc84d.jpg

This looks so good! What's in it?
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,561 Member
    Options
    Me once again asking for recs! My produce box had kohlrabi with the greens attached. I tried them raw, they're on pretty big ones and are thick. Not great, not awful, any favorite ways to eat them? I'll probably just saute with aromatics and my Swiss chard unless you've tried something tastier.