For the love of Produce...

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    We've got a watermelon from the supermarket and planning to do classic Turkish watermelon salad on Sunday.
    https://ozlemsturkishtable.com/tag/turkish-watermelon-and-feta-salad/
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I am bad at estimating artichokes. I just went out and counted. Not six, but a multiple of six. There's 18 of them still to eat. Whew.

dv82brisuxvq.jpg

I wouldn't say no to a few :smile: We've planted two plants in a pot, they are doing well but not big enough to have any artichokes on them yet. Can't wait!

I give quite a few away. My neighbors are happy. It seems every year lately I also dig up one or two and give the plants away. I did a major bed re-work a few years ago. I dug up all the plants in the fall and just set them aside, then covered the bed with black plastic all winter. In the spring when they started to grow a bit, I sorted through the clumps. I made four piles:
    1. This one will survive and thrive
    2. This one will survive and get bigger eventually
    3. Not so sure about this one, but it will probably be ok
    4. This one really might not make it

I grouped them so the really healthy ones would be more spaced out. I think only two of them died, so less than two years later, they already could use another thinning. I'm going to wait, but I am going to dig up one giant plant to give a neighbor. Everyone is already growing some, but they want more. I've got plenty... for now. I kind of would like some different varieties. A friend who moved away a few years ago used to trade me barbecue for artichokes. Mmmmm.

I always leave a few to fully open. They are pretty to look at, and the pollinators like the nectar. If you're nearby, come get a couple and cook 'em up!

I'd be there in a heartbeat but I'm in North Queensland Australia and we aren't alllowed to fly over there yet so hopefully the supermarkets get some in. So far I only saw one.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    I am bad at estimating artichokes. I just went out and counted. Not six, but a multiple of six. There's 18 of them still to eat. Whew.

dv82brisuxvq.jpg

I wouldn't say no to a few :smile: We've planted two plants in a pot, they are doing well but not big enough to have any artichokes on them yet. Can't wait!

I give quite a few away. My neighbors are happy. It seems every year lately I also dig up one or two and give the plants away. I did a major bed re-work a few years ago. I dug up all the plants in the fall and just set them aside, then covered the bed with black plastic all winter. In the spring when they started to grow a bit, I sorted through the clumps. I made four piles:

I grouped them so the really healthy ones would be more spaced out. I think only two of them died, so less than two years later, they already could use another thinning. I'm going to wait, but I am going to dig up one giant plant to give a neighbor. Everyone is already growing some, but they want more. I've got plenty... for now. I kind of would like some different varieties. A friend who moved away a few years ago used to trade me barbecue for artichokes. Mmmmm.

I always leave a few to fully open. They are pretty to look at, and the pollinators like the nectar. If you're nearby, come get a couple and cook 'em up!

I'd be there in a heartbeat but I'm in North Queensland Australia and we aren't allowed to fly over there yet so hopefully the supermarkets get some in. So far I only saw one.

I cut four yesterday with LONG stems. I put them in a vase. I just now filetted two of them and put 'em in the oven. I'm trying non-convection this time. I'm a recovering scientist, so I have this odd instinct to explore ideas even if they may seem odd. And they're pretty tasty. And if I don't eat 'em soon, they will just be really pretty flowers.

Has anyone tried to eat any portion of an artichoke after it went full bloom?

Has anyone else noticed over long term, like a decade or at least several years, the artichokes tend to morph into a more wild flower? Most of my 'chokes remind me of a thistle more than anything else. Little spines stick out of the flower facing OUT and are STOUT. Sure are tasty, though. Even my globes start to look meaner as they get bigger.

But heavens they're tasty.

I'll be thinning the bed this year. Anyone want a hunk of rhizome? One big plant will be moving around the corner to a neighbor's yard. It will be two plants next year. Four after that. And sixteen.....
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member

dv82brisuxvq.jpg

I'd be there in a heartbeat but I'm in North Queensland Australia and we aren't allowed to fly over there yet so hopefully the supermarkets get some in. So far I only saw one.

I cut four yesterday with LONG stems. I put them in a vase. I just now filetted two of them and put 'em in the oven. I'm trying non-convection this time. I'm a recovering scientist, so I have this odd instinct to explore ideas even if they may seem odd. And they're pretty tasty. And if I don't eat 'em soon, they will just be really pretty flowers.

Has anyone else noticed over long term, like a decade or at least several years, the artichokes tend to morph into a more wild flower? Most of my 'chokes remind me of a thistle more than anything else. Little spines stick out of the flower facing OUT and are STOUT. Sure are tasty, though. Even my globes start to look meaner as they get bigger.

I'll be thinning the bed this year. Anyone want a hunk of rhizome? One big plant will be moving around the corner to a neighbor's yard. It will be two plants next year. Four after that. And sixteen.....

Yes, the artichokes I've grown got wilder and coarser over the years. I attributed it to my high desert climate, but maybe it's just the nature of the beast.
  • mockchoc

dv82brisuxvq.jpg

*sigh* I just bought a nice big vase too since my bosses bought me a gorgeous bunch of flowers including Australian natives and I had to use a jug to put them in since it's all I had. I'd much more appreciate a bunch of artichokes lol.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    It seemed to cook really well (and didn't taste bad, just weird with the rest of the meal, initially). I toasted it in the pan before adding water, which is what the internet told me to do. I don't know what it's supposed to taste like, it seemed like it would work well as a breakfast instead of or in addition to oats.

But tell me, what's the trick?

I have had millet for breakfast many, many times. It is o.k. but I like oatmeal a lot more. To either oats or millet I add raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, sometimes berries, and a little bit of brown sugar or marmalade.

• mtaratoot
    @mockchoc - flowers for you:

:flowerforyou:

b9xilccjutqw.jpg

I had to harvest the little one because the stalk fell over while I was weeding. It was still connected to the soil, but it's right where one of the big ant nests is, so it would have had even MORE ants than normal. I went ahead and harvested two more instead of just one because it was small and because I still have several more to get through before I'm done. I'll let two or five blossom fully because they are beautiful and the hummingbirds love 'em. I also think we're about done with our mild weather, so I am not going to want to run the oven or a pot of steam for an hour until some time in the future.

You can clearly see the morphological difference between the two globes and the one more elongated one. Those spines are brutal. I got a wound cleaning up my sink the day after eating some on Friday.
  • FoolishJoy
    FoolishJoy Posts: 139 Member
    utvkvm865uh0.jpg

I just finished the shopping for the rest of the month.
  • acpgee
    We ate the hostess gift of artichokes. Was tempted by the method @mtaratoot to roast them, but it's really too warm out to turn on the oven, and two artichokes don't fit into the better insulated air fryer. So ended up steaming them, served with bearnaise.
    ytaz70qwueb1.jpeg
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    I’m a dragonfruit and bayberry stalker. Also love me some papaya and blueberries. As for veggies - any kind of mushrooms - Wood ears being my fav.
  • acpgee
    Another watermelon photo.
    650ttg8mri06.jpeg
  • mockchoc
    edited June 2020
    " I had to harvest the little one because the stalk fell over while I was weeding. It was still connected to the soil, but it's right where one of the big ant nests is, so it would have had even MORE ants than normal. I went ahead and harvested two more instead of just one because it was small and because I still have several more to get through before I'm done. I'll let two or five blossom fully because they are beautiful and the hummingbirds love 'em. I also think we're about done with our mild weather, so I am not going to want to run the oven or a pot of steam for an hour until some time in the future."

mtaratoot, do you have a pressure cooker you can make them in? Not so hot in the kitchen then. Also I haven't checked but if you have a slow cooker there is no reason you couldn't put them in there with a touch of water to steam.
  • mtaratoot
    " I had to harvest the little one because the stalk fell over while I was weeding. It was still connected to the soil, but it's right where one of the big ant nests is, so it would have had even MORE ants than normal. I went ahead and harvested two more instead of just one because it was small and because I still have several more to get through before I'm done. I'll let two or five blossom fully because they are beautiful and the hummingbirds love 'em. I also think we're about done with our mild weather, so I am not going to want to run the oven or a pot of steam for an hour until some time in the future."

mtaratoot, do you have a pressure cooker you can make them in? Not so hot in the kitchen then. Also I haven't checked but if you have a slow cooker there is no reason you couldn't put them in there with a touch of water to steam.

I had a pressure cooker years ago but couldn't find a replacement gasket. It was old-school with a weight instead of a pressure gauge. If I had a HUGE one, I'd be putting up albacore every summer. I had a slow cooker 30 years ago. It had electrical issues; not only would it burn everything (there was no low setting anymore apparently) it would shock me. When I got rid of it, I never replaced it. I've been thinking about it since then. Yeah. I know. I think my cookware set is all 40 years old too. I haven't had a microwave in 20 or 25 years. Yeah. I know.

I think there's eight artichokes left, and they need to get brought in soon. They're about to open.