For the love of Produce...

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Must get kohlrabi now. ;)

ubo26rn1nzi5.jpeg

Big old mess of awesome.
    Spring mix, all the herbs, murakami sweet potato, preserved lemon (below), fermented pork sausage, crispy fried shallots.
    Ginger miso dressing (red shell. Bottled. Too sweet but dang close to right when lazy.)
    ayk20cs364y4.jpeg

Silly pic - finally ready!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    Kohlrabi update! I ended up having company so I roasted one kohlrabi with potatoes, onions, garlic scapes, garlic, and olive oil. I went easy, just picked rosemary, basil, oregano, marjoram, dill, and parsley and tossed. I was supposed to be doing vegetarian Wednesday and he wasn't impressed when I told him dinner was going to be fava beans and kohlrabi so I had to step up my game. He'd never heard of kohlrabi and when I described it he asked how many friends I had that also made it. I first tried it from a CSA years ago but said lots of us love it thinking of all of you! It went better than when I fed him undercooked fennel, he loved it! Now I need to find a salad for the other one.

Small tip- if your kohlrabi is humongous tear out the ribs before cooking the greens, they're horrible and I put garlic scapes in the stir fry so I couldn't just pull all the stems out as they looked alike, they're really tough!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    a5z3aflvvlfw.jpg
    Vegetable and tofu curry with yellow rice
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    I had some leftover miso caramel sauce and drizzled that on a banana. Stunning.
    xkmikte49h83.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Leftover miso caramel drizzled on sliced apple is pretty good too.
    2ic94vrwajja.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    Being unfamiliar with miso caramel, I had to look it up. Based on recipes I saw, of COURSE it's good on apples and bananas. It would probably be good on just about anything.
  • acpgee
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Being unfamiliar with miso caramel, I had to look it up. Based on recipes I saw, of COURSE it's good on apples and bananas. It would probably be good on just about anything.

This is the recipe I think I used
    https://food52.com/recipes/18618-miso-caramel

I made it quite a way back at a dinner party before lockdown and I served it on ice cream to make it pair better with an asian dinner. Found the leftover sauce in the back of the fridge, loosened in the microwave, and discovered it is an amazing addition to mundane fruits like bananas and apples.

The actual dessert I made for the dinner party involved dehydrated spiralized sweet potato, sesame seeds and chopped candied ginger. I stole the idea from a yakitori restaurant where the sweet potato chips had been deep fried rather than dehydrated. Scroll down to dessert for a picture of the original.

https://pickyglutton.com/2015/12/28/jidori-review-dalston-yakitori/

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,967 Member
    After I made some miso caramel a while back (thanks for the recipe, @acpgee !), I put the leftover bit in the freezer because I didn't have a plan for using it up quickly, and didn't want to waste it (I live alone, and have been in "shelter in place"-ville).

It would be wrong - especially on a produce thread, because no produce involved - to admit that I've sometimes pulled it out and just eaten a spoonful, cold, on its own, as a treat. (It doesn't freeze solid, just firm.)

So good! :yum:
  • mtaratoot
    Miso is made from beans -- so it's fermented produce.
  • acpgee
    It's been a while since we made cooked lettuces. Griddled baby gem drizzled with ranch.
    u6jmbe21e5m2.jpeg

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Produce today included blueberries, Roma tomatoes, a large mango, bananas, calabazas, cauliflower, lettuce, and apples.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I am bad at estimating artichokes. I just went out and counted. Not six, but a multiple of six. There's 18 of them still to eat. Whew.

dv82brisuxvq.jpg

I wouldn't say no to a few :smile: We've planted two plants in a pot, they are doing well but not big enough to have any artichokes on them yet. Can't wait!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2020
    I prefer gem, Boston, and romaine raw. Been having a ton of salads based on them since summer began.

My garden has chard, spinach, a couple of lettuces, and arugula ready to pick, and while I like the latter two raw, the former two are also good cooked (and spinach with bacon and an ACV dressing sounds amazing, from another thread).

I also have blueberries that went from green to blue today (still not quite ripe), strawberries that may eventually make it, and a variety of other veg. But the stuff ready are salad greens, chard, and herbs.
  • mtaratoot
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I am bad at estimating artichokes. I just went out and counted. Not six, but a multiple of six. There's 18 of them still to eat. Whew.

dv82brisuxvq.jpg

I wouldn't say no to a few :smile: We've planted two plants in a pot, they are doing well but not big enough to have any artichokes on them yet. Can't wait!

I give quite a few away. My neighbors are happy. It seems every year lately I also dig up one or two and give the plants away. I did a major bed re-work a few years ago. I dug up all the plants in the fall and just set them aside, then covered the bed with black plastic all winter. In the spring when they started to grow a bit, I sorted through the clumps. I made four piles:
    1. This one will survive and thrive
    2. This one will survive and get bigger eventually
    3. Not so sure about this one, but it will probably be ok
    4. This one really might not make it

I grouped them so the really healthy ones would be more spaced out. I think only two of them died, so less than two years later, they already could use another thinning. I'm going to wait, but I am going to dig up one giant plant to give a neighbor. Everyone is already growing some, but they want more. I've got plenty... for now. I kind of would like some different varieties. A friend who moved away a few years ago used to trade me barbecue for artichokes. Mmmmm.

I always leave a few to fully open. They are pretty to look at, and the pollinators like the nectar. If you're nearby, come get a couple and cook 'em up!
  • mtaratoot
    4pacs42evlnk.jpg

I take childish delight cutting into watermelon radishes from my garden- no two exactly alike. They're packing an extra bite this year.

You can take most of the heat off if you peel them before slicing. They really are tasty. Watermelon is only a month or so away, and I think I might try grilling some this year and even making a grilled watermelon salad. A restaurant I used to love before they went out of business had this as a seasonal dish. Mmmm. Watermelon radish made me think of watermelon.

As another aside, if you have a chance, dehydrate some watermelon. Slice it thick and dry it until crispy. It's SO good. The only problem is all of the sudden you'll say, "Uh oh. I just ate an entire watermelon."