• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    sagfdxdpxx7y.jpg
    Gifted fruit tray
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Me once again asking for recs! My produce box had kohlrabi with the greens attached. I tried them raw, they're on pretty big ones and are thick. Not great, not awful, any favorite ways to eat them? I'll probably just saute with aromatics and my Swiss chard unless you've tried something tastier.

You got it. Saute them like any other leafy green.
    For the bulb, peel and thinly slice into a salad for a nice crunch.

Thank you for answering! Didn't think about eating the bulb raw, I usually roast it. I'll have to give that a go!

Tomek, I got your favorite, an air fryer! Forgive me, my microwave broke and it's an oven/microwave combo so I have some hunting to do. Don't have a convection oven, I'm actually really liking it aside of having to do one thing at a time. I'm down an Instant pot but luckily have a spare!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Me once again asking for recs! My produce box had kohlrabi with the greens attached. I tried them raw, they're on pretty big ones and are thick. Not great, not awful, any favorite ways to eat them? I'll probably just saute with aromatics and my Swiss chard unless you've tried something tastier.

You got it. Saute them like any other leafy green.
    For the bulb, peel and thinly slice into a salad for a nice crunch.

Thank you for answering! Didn't think about eating the bulb raw, I usually roast it. I'll have to give that a go!

Tomek, I got your favorite, an air fryer! Forgive me, my microwave broke and it's an oven/microwave combo so I have some hunting to do. Don't have a convection oven, I'm actually really liking it aside of having to do one thing at a time. I'm down an Instant pot but luckily have a spare!

I have NOTHING against air fryers. Nothing at all. They are great small tiny little convection ovens, as you are finding out.

Use a mandolaine or really thinly slice the bulb along with an apple and fennel (anise). Equal amounts and into a bowl. Sprinkle with S&P and then drizzle equal amounts of honey, cider or balsamic vinegar. Stir. Enjoy :)

I know what I'm making with my left over roast chicken for lunch tomorrow. I've got the first baby kohlrabi ready for harvest (very early but they're adorably tender and I need to thin them out anyways). The fennel, sadly, got swarmed by slugs. So I'll have to go buy some. :smiley:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    How should I rescue overmature corn sprouts? I grew pea and corn sprouts and prefer the flavour of the pea shoots in salads. The corn shoots have gotten quite tall and tough. Can they be rescued in a sautee or should I just chuck them.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    bx4ah5wzipbw.jpeg

The dragon fruit is a thing of beauty isnt it.
    Giant bowl of spiralized stuff.
    Kohlrabi, chayote, daikon, Asian pear.
    Lime, grated ginger, sea salt dressing (so far. May add stuff.)

Sauerkraut (is that really spelling? Spellcheck wants it to be so.) Will use this to make Tom’s sauerkraut salad. Finding proper kraut not easy in my area and cabbage .50/lb.

Cauli-flax-psyllium-dried onion (& spices inc Tumeric) ‘neat-balls’ - these are experimental, Ive been doing flax/psyllium/dried onion ‘popover’ thingies lately. Nearly perfected but still playing with oven temp/time to get texture right. Not-meatballz I’m flying totally blind here. We’ll see. Starting oven low & slow to initially dry, then will spray with oil and crank it up to crisp.

903bw6yzobap.jpeg

Make sure that the liquid in your sauerkrout is above the cabbage. Ideally you should weight this down with something heavy like a rock. Find a rock that fits your jar, scrab it clean, wrap in plastic wrap and place on top.
    Also, did you try any ethnic type store to buy it ready? Any Polish or German type place will have it 100%.

Please some and thank you !
  • acpgee
    Sauteed and boiled over mature corn sprouts unpleasantly stringy. Cut them back severely and covered in a dark cloche. Hopefully no chlorphyl will prevent them from getting so hard and stringy next crop. Must also remember to harvest earlier.
  • DancingMoosie
    Grocery haul:
    nyp4k6zayf3d.jpg
    Didn't realize I only had one tomato left...oh well. I'll go back soon.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I've never done corn sprout. If you want to focus on sprouts, I recommend: radish (my favorite), alfalfa, broccoli,clover, lentil, mung beans, and chia, among others. I've done all these on a kitchen counter.
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    @DancingMoosie
    Yummy 😋
    What do you do with your habaneros?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    @DancingMoosie
    Yummy 😋

Not sure, but I think they might be pasillas (really chilacas, I think, but often labeled pasilla in US - so confusing) or poblanos . . . which are milder, and sort of richer flavored - really yummy.
  • DancingMoosie
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @DancingMoosie
    Yummy 😋

Not sure, but I think they might be pasillas (really chilacas, I think, but often labeled pasilla in US - so confusing) or poblanos . . . which are milder, and sort of richer flavored - really yummy.

They are poblanos. Habaneros are much smaller(smaller than jalapenos) and orange. I slice a poblano and an onion, stir them up with a little oil and some seasoning, and roast them on a sheet in the convection oven. I like poblanos because they are cheaper than bell peppers and very versatile. If you remove all ribs and seeds, they are mild, but if you leave some ribs or seeds, they can be hot. You can also stuff them(Chile relleno).

So today I went back to the store and got tomatoes, limes, a jumbo avocado, and more bananas.
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    @DancingMoosie & @AnnPT77
    Thank you! I don’t know why I said habanero 🤦‍♀️
    I hadn’t used poblanos before this week, but I love the idea of buying poblano instead of bell peppers for cost efficiency!!
  • DancingMoosie
    Yes, they're about half the price of green bell pepper, but I got these 1/2 off, so about $.34 for 2 poblanos. I'd rather have red bells raw...but they are about $1 each...
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    This may be old news to some, but I just tried Japanese sweet potato and OMG. A new favorite and go to! So creamy and sweet. I sprinkled with a little cinnamon and it was perfect.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    g7kyxurbqb1z.jpg
    Chipotle roasted calabaza and mushrooms with chickpeas, pico, and avocado

Ah this looks like perfection!
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member

I do a carpaccio style, when not on ‘mandolin restriction’

But the master says...
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/10/kohlrabi-recipes-yotam-ottolenghi-salad-curry-kimchi-fried
  • acpgee
    I normally grate kohlrabi and put it in slaw, sometimes mixed with grated carrot and radish. I prefer vinaigrette on this over mayo.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I adore roasted kohlrabi. I cut it into cubes and it tastes like potato mixed with broccoli to me.