For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    annk18 wrote: »
    I have been lurking here for quite a while, and learned a lot. I remember a discussion a while back of what to do with kitchen scraps, other than for composting. I tried to search, but couldn't find anything. Please help me out as I have a large bag of assorted vegetable scraps in the freezer. I need to use them as I need the room for other things now. Thanks in advance

@annk18 - I second @mtaratoot ‘s broth idea! I also love using my leftover veggie scraps in stews! Makes a great flavorful base. Have a crock pot? Dice and use them in egg muffins and vegetable omelettes. 🌱
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Sauteed pea shoots with onions stretched with frozen peas
    bajmd6apcmfo.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    annk18 wrote: »
    I have been lurking here for quite a while, and learned a lot. I remember a discussion a while back of what to do with kitchen scraps, other than for composting. I tried to search, but couldn't find anything. Please help me out as I have a large bag of assorted vegetable scraps in the freezer. I need to use them as I need the room for other things now. Thanks in advance

@annk18 - I second @mtaratoot ‘s broth idea! I also love using my leftover veggie scraps in stews! Makes a great flavorful base. Have a crock pot? Dice and use them in egg muffins and vegetable omelettes. 🌱

If you eat meat, save all your chicken, beef and pork bones and add them to the broth with a quartered onion, skin and all. If you eat whole fish or shellfish regularly you can save all the waste including shells too in a separate bag for fish broth along with your vegetable waste.

I've recently tried a tip I read online for extracting maximum flavour out of vegetable broth. I had some asparagus and artichoke stocks saved up in the freezer. I boiled an hour our two, then blitzed everything in the food processor and strained the liquid. Haven't discovered if it is worth extra effort because I just chucked the veggie broth back in the freezer to use later.
  • acpgee
    Options
    What would you do with a box of chestnut mushrooms. I bought some on sale the other day because they were near their sell-by date. Normally would sautee them to add texture to dried porcini risotto but I'm getting tired of that. Any other ideas?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    What would you do with a box of chestnut mushrooms. I bought some on sale the other day because they were near their sell-by date. Normally would sautee them to add texture to dried porcini risotto but I'm getting tired of that. Any other ideas?

I'm a sucker for stuffed mushrooms.
  • acpgee
    Options

What do you stuff them with/ I normally stuff mushroom caps with leftover porcini risotto as a day two meal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

What do you stuff them with/ I normally stuff mushroom caps with leftover porcini risotto as a day two meal.

I've never stuffed them with leftover risotto and now I've got to try it.

I like stuffing them with tempeh "sausage," like in this recipe: https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/tempeh-bacon-stuffed-mushrooms/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

I don't think I've ever had chestnut mushrooms, but it sounds (from written descriptions) like the flavor profile is generally within the realm of more common porcini, cremini, or button type mushrooms.

One of the ways I really like the more common mushrooms is with regular turnips. One can hollow the turnips and stuff them (perhaps including rice or grain or bread crumbs), but - because I'm lazy - I usually just slice and layer, then bake. I've not done this in a while, but when I did, I was using a bread-based (crouton-type) stuffing in the layers, but grain would work well, too. I used classic US stuffing seasoning, like sage, thyme, garlic, onions, broth as needed, etc., but again variations would be fine, anything that would go with the slight spicy profile of the turnips.

I might be able to find the recipe, but there was really nothing exotic about it: Some kind of normal stuffing-type structure, optionally egg as binder, seasonings, optionally cheese, could include nuts; layer with sliced mushrooms and sliced turnips; bake until cooked through, top browned. Sort of a comfort food, in my world. If the mushrooms are raw, I'd keep the stuffing layers on the slightly drier side, so they can take up the juices during cooking.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options

Where I live, we have Dungeness crab. They are fantastic pretty much any way. They are a great ingredient to add to stuffed mushrooms; probably don't need much else. I would pre-cook the mushrooms a bit so you don't overcook the crab.

My ex taught me another fun trick. Take off the stipes and chop them. Gently saute the caps until they are maybe a third of the way cooked. Line a casserole dish with the caps with the hollow side facing up. Mix up your favorite stuffing/dressing recipe. Use the chopped stipes in the mix. I often like to also add lots of other mushrooms even if it means puling a pack of chanterelles out of the freezer. Pour the stuffing over the mushrooms and bake just like any other stuffing. Now you have stuffed mushroom mushroom stuffing. Since they are chestnut mushrooms, add some chestnuts! That's going to be tasty.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I don't think I've ever had chestnut mushrooms, but it sounds (from written descriptions) like the flavor profile is generally within the realm of more common porcini, cremini, or button type mushrooms.

One of the ways I really like the more common mushrooms is with regular turnips. One can hollow the turnips and stuff them (perhaps including rice or grain or bread crumbs), but - because I'm lazy - I usually just slice and layer, then bake. I've not done this in a while, but when I did, I was using a bread-based (crouton-type) stuffing in the layers, but grain would work well, too. I used classic US stuffing seasoning, like sage, thyme, garlic, onions, broth as needed, etc., but again variations would be fine, anything that would go with the slight spicy profile of the turnips.

I might be able to find the recipe, but there was really nothing exotic about it: Some kind of normal stuffing-type structure, optionally egg as binder, seasonings, optionally cheese, could include nuts; layer with sliced mushrooms and sliced turnips; bake until cooked through, top browned. Sort of a comfort food, in my world. If the mushrooms are raw, I'd keep the stuffing layers on the slightly drier side, so they can take up the juices during cooking.

You probably already know this, but white button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, and portobello mushrooms are all the same species. So are chestnut mushrooms. Or, more specifically, Chestnut Mushroom is another common name for the same fungus. Mushroom hunters call them "grocery store mushrooms," and taxonomists call them Agaricus bisporus. There is another fungus that's called a Chestnut Mushroom, so I'm not exactly sure what @acpgee got.

Porcini is a whole other animal. Yeah, mushrooms are more closely related to animals than plants. Porcini is known around these parts as King Bolete. It's not a gilled mushroom; boletes have pores rather than gills. They are a prized find if you are hunting for them. There's other boletes that are also quite tasty. It is one of the most prized wild mushrooms to be hunted. I'd trade chanterelles for them almost any day. They are available commercially, and they dry (and rehydrate) quite well. It's one of the reasons I look forward to some of those first fall rains. Mmmmmm.... I love mushrooms.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You probably already know this, but white button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, and portobello mushrooms are all the same species. So are chestnut mushrooms. Or, more specifically, Chestnut Mushroom is another common name for the same fungus. Mushroom hunters call them "grocery store mushrooms," and taxonomists call them Agaricus bisporus. There is another fungus that's called a Chestnut Mushroom, so I'm not exactly sure what @acpgee got.

Porcini is a whole other animal. Yeah, mushrooms are more closely related to animals than plants. Porcini is known around these parts as King Bolete. It's not a gilled mushroom; boletes have pores rather than gills. They are a prized find if you are hunting for them. There's other boletes that are also quite tasty. It is one of the most prized wild mushrooms to be hunted. I'd trade chanterelles for them almost any day. They are available commercially, and they dry (and rehydrate) quite well. It's one of the reasons I look forward to some of those first fall rains. Mmmmmm.... I love mushrooms.

I didn't realize that. I botanize herbaceous plants a bit (and that without forage focus), but fungi and grasses are too complicated for my simple mind. Other than morels, I let someone else who's expert handle fungus ID, I just eat 'em. Good to know, thanks!
  • acpgee
    Options
    We've taken the stock out of the freezer to make dried porcini risotto augmented with sauteed chestnut mushroom stems for texture. Later in the week we will stuff caps with any leftover mushroom risotto and bake topped with cheese as a starter. Our regular program for handling mushrooms and their leftovers.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    I want to give radishes another try as my "new" vegetable or fruit for June. I hated them as a kid but there are a number of things I hate as a child that I like now. However, I have no idea what to do with them! Any recipe or prep suggestions?
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I want to give radishes another try as my "new" vegetable or fruit for June. I hated them as a kid but there are a number of things I hate as a child that I like now. However, I have no idea what to do with them! Any recipe or prep suggestions?

They are delicious if you cook them in the air fryer or pan fry on the stove. I eat them like that plain and add them to salads. They lose their bitter taste and are similar to potato taste. I love them.
  • mtaratoot
    Options

Look for watermelon radishes. Peel off the skin; that's where the bitter/strong favor is. Slice thin and add to a veggie tray or put in a salad.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    lbgardener wrote: »
    Why is it, otherwise, that children raised in a family that uses hot peppers a lot can handle heat a lot quicker than someone of my anglo-saxon heritage?
    I'm not sure this is true. I was raised on super bland food. Mom was a pretty crappy cook. My gran wasn't a great cook and many horrific church potlucks behind me...but when I was 19, I was introduced to Ethiopian and loved it. Now, as far as I'm concerned, it's not hot if I'm not crying. Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian...the hotter the better. I order vindaloo extra spicy and (well, before covid) the staff would peek around the corners asking eachother if I was eating it. kinda hilarious.

I add cinnamon to stuff and my husbands fam complains about hot. Kitten, please!

Everyone here is making me hungry for veg! Loves them all!! Well, except radish...
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Also good in slaw-type salads: Their slightly spicy flavor adds an interesting twist. There are many recipes online, and I improvise rather than use recipes anyway. Grated, raw as a sandwich or pasta add-in, is also an option (sliced ones in sandwiches work, but more likely to slip out IME :lol: ).

Keep in mind that the greens are also edible. Given the texture, they're not IMO raw salad material unless very small/young, but are good in most any cooked-green kind of way. There are pesto recipes, too, but I haven't tried that.