Calorie Counter

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

For the love of Produce...

Replies

• acpgeeacpgee Member Posts: 5,452 Member Member Posts: 5,452 Member
    Does anyone know how to cook choi sam? We had it at a Vietnamese restaurant and thought it was great so bought some. First attempt I blanched by putting it in a colander and pouring a kettlefull of boiling water over it followed by a stir fry. Stems were okay but the leaves were chewy and stringy. Second time I blanched for a minute in boiling water, drained well and stir fried. Better than last time but still kind of tough and stringy.

Who knows how to stir fry this vegetable? I love the flavour but am struggling to get a palatable texture. Or is this a shopping problem (young shoots vs old plants) rather than a cooking problem?
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 17,080 Member Member, Premium Posts: 17,080 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to cook choi sam? We had it at a Vietnamese restaurant and thought it was great so bought some. First attempt I blanched by putting it in a colander and pouring a kettlefull of boiling water over it followed by a stir fry. Stems were okay but the leaves were chewy and stringy. Second time I blanched for a minute in boiling water, drained well and stir fried. Better than last time but still kind of tough and stringy.

Who knows how to stir fry this vegetable? I love the flavour but am struggling to get a palatable texture. Or is this a shopping problem (young shoots vs old plants) rather than a cooking problem?

I wonder if one could cook it as some do asparagus, standing upright in a narrow-ish pot, so that the stems get some simmering/boiling, the leaves just a steaming (with potentially some control over the steam via lid/no lid). Haven't done this, just speculating. I'm lazy, I usually cut thick stems out of leafy veggies, and start them before the leaves. Not as pretty, though. 😉
    The really strange thing about the choi sam was that the first time I did a very short blanch, and stems were file but leaves were unpleasantly chewy. The second time with the longer blanch the leaves were nice but the stems were stringy. Completely againt my intuition.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 17,080 Member Member, Premium Posts: 17,080 Member
    Vegetable pie w spinach, radicchio, egg, and feta cheese.hwxaiazns3o9.jpg

What is your crust, @snowflake954? It's hard to tell from a photo, but it looks more bread-like than a pastry crust, but "shorter" (more fat) perhaps than a bread variant. (Perhaps I'm misreading it, but it looks really yummy - as does that filling - so I'm curious.)
    The greengrocer still had artichokes but they were tiny. I normally steam artichokes and dip leaves in hollandaise but there won't be much flesh on these. Anyone have experience cooking tiny artichokes?
    nqa8kcmpq2on.jpeg
  • snowflake954snowflake954 Member Posts: 5,547 Member Member Posts: 5,547 Member
    Stuffed endive.m433568afwji.jpg
    kfzle263n16l.jpg
  • B_Plus_EffortB_Plus_Effort Member Posts: 259 Member Member Posts: 259 Member
    I'm a displaced European so my broccoli is white aka cauliflower, ha ha

during the weight loss phase I believe in eating green vegetables with a protein, so chicken and green beans, or salmon and broccoli, or steak and spinach, (no filler carbs like white rice) or you get the idea mix it up

z2vwjang2ju4.jpg

pj51u70u9b8f.jpg
  • mtaratootmtaratoot Member Posts: 3,953 Member Member Posts: 3,953 Member
    Stuffed endive.m433568afwji.jpg
    kfzle263n16l.jpg

This looks really delicious. Many people don't think of cooking lettuces, but they are great. Would you be willing to share the basics of the recipe/process? Mmmmmm.....
  • senalay788senalay788 Member Posts: 257 Member Member Posts: 257 Member
    muszyngr wrote: »
    I'm a displaced European so my broccoli is white aka cauliflower, ha ha

during the weight loss phase I believe in eating green vegetables with a protein, so chicken and green beans, or salmon and broccoli, or steak and spinach, (no filler carbs like white rice) or you get the idea mix it up

z2vwjang2ju4.jpg

pj51u70u9b8f.jpg

Plates of sadness. Sorry.
    But if this works for you, you do you.