how to not hate exercise?

Options
laurenq1991
laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
edited February 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I've tried so many times to get into an exercise routine but I can't make it happen because I hate exercise. I've never been overweight but also haven't been in shape for most of my life.
*I hate the feeling of getting sweaty and itchy.
*I hate getting out of breath and feeling like I'm about to die. In middle school we measured VO2Max and I had the second lowest in the class -- the lowest was someone whose parents were chain smokers.
*I hate going to the gym. I don't drive so it's very annoying to get there, they play annoying music so loudly that even if you have something else in your headphones you can hear their music over it, and I hate working out in public.
*I also hate exercising outside. Even walking is not as enjoyable as it once was between the bad drivers and poorly trained dogs, and with those two things and the broken sidewalks in my town, running or biking are out of the question.
*I hate that it takes out half my day between getting ready, doing exercise, showering, and the exhaustion afterwards. After exercising I feel so exhausted that I can hardly do anything for the rest of the day and hardly even get up.
*I also have bad associations with exercise because one of the worst times of my life was when I was on the track team in high school, and my physical health was terrible during that time (I was constantly exhausted and lost my period for six months) because the workouts were so draining.
*I don't get any kind of "runner's high."
*It's possible I might have mild exercise intolerance.

How can I make exercise not suck? I know I'm never going to do it unless I can find some way to enjoy it. I don't get how other people can be excited to work out. My husband gets pissed off if he can't run for an hour every day and he's constantly judging me for being "too lazy" to work out.

Replies

• StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Is there a sport you would like to play? What about swimming or water aerobics?
  • laurenq1991
    Options
    Is there a sport you would like to play? What about swimming or water aerobics?

I'm terrible at any sport involving a ball (was always the last picked kid in gym class). Swimming is ok but the only gym in my area with a pool is five miles away and is very annoying to get to without a car. It also costs over twice as much as the membership I have now. I used to have a membership there but I could only go about once a week which wasn't really worth it. Also since I hadn't gone swimming in about 14 years I didn't have very good form and private lessons would be very expensive.

Eventually I cancelled my membership after one time I went there and there was some kind of kids' swimming class going on there, the adult swimmers were relegated to one tiny lane, and all the parents were taking up all the free space just sitting there watching their kids (in an already supervised class!) and some idiot parent actually sat on my stuff when I put it down in the one free spot. I'm not going to pay that much to feel like a second class citizen and I wasn't going often enough anyway.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Don't exercise?

Weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit, and you do that with your diet.
    angelsja wrote: »
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight, it's about a calorie deficit exercise is for overall health. As for your husband judging you for being lazy that's just unacceptable he is supposed to love/support you

I'm not trying to exercise to lose weight. I want to get stronger and reduce the risk of developing chronic health conditions.

Sorry i assumed being on her meant you were trying to lose weight missed the I've never been overweight part of your post. I don't like exercise either tbh but I still do it I have 2 dogs that NEED to be walked and I chose exercise programs that last a certain amount of time so I know when they will end then I pick something else so I don't get as bored and can take some time off after each program
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Find some videos on YouTube or pick up some DVDs and workout at home. You can pick up kettlebells or dumbells from pretty much anywhere (Target, Walmart,Academy Sports, etc) and not break the bank. As far as the not liking the "sweaty" feeling, I really don't know what to tell you. That may be something you just have to learn to live with. Work out in the evening and then jump straight in the shower when you're done.
  • laurenq1991
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Sorry i assumed being on her meant you were trying to lose weight missed the I've never been overweight part of your post. I don't like exercise either tbh but I still do it I have 2 dogs that NEED to be walked and I chose exercise programs that last a certain amount of time so I know when they will end then I pick something else so I don't get as bored and can take some time off after each program

I do walk a lot due to not having a car (and carrying the laundry up and down three flights of stairs and pushing it in a cart over the broken sidewalks a mile round trip to the laundromat technically counts as a small "workout") but I'm talking more about aerobic exercise and strength training.

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options

I do walk a lot due to not having a car (and carrying the laundry up and down three flights of stairs and pushing it in a cart over the broken sidewalks a mile round trip to the laundromat technically counts as a small "workout") but I'm talking more about aerobic exercise and strength training.

Yes as I said I chose programs like 5 week slim down, 14 day challenge etc so I know they have a start finish date and just commit to doing it if I know it has a end date it makes it easier (for me) then when it's over I'll have a break and chose something new to do for X amount of time
  • laurenq1991
    edited February 2019
    Options
    CajunTess wrote: »
    Find something that moves you...body, mind and spirit. For me, it's dancing. So much so that I became a facilitator for Body Groove dance. I hated the gym, and traditional cardio fitness. When you find something you enjoy, you will look forward to it instead of dreading it. Find what moves you!

The only sport that really has appealed to me in that way is hiking, but I only can go hiking a few times a year at most because I don't live in that kind of area. Even the larger parks are at least a 20 minute drive away.
    Find some videos on YouTube or pick up some DVDs and workout at home. You can pick up kettlebells or dumbells from pretty much anywhere (Target, Walmart,Academy Sports, etc) and not break the bank. As far as the not liking the "sweaty" feeling, I really don't know what to tell you. That may be something you just have to learn to live with. Work out in the evening and then jump straight in the shower when you're done.

We already have weights at home and an exercise bike (the exercise bike is for my disabled MIL's physical therapy but my husband and I also use it). I have also done workout videos before. Whenever I work out I do it in the evening and shower immediately afterwards. That doesn't make me hate it any less or feel more motivated to do it every day. Right now I work out (ie. at the gym or with my bike/weights) maybe 3 to 4 times a month. I guess part of the problem is that it's also boring. Like if you're hiking there's a point to it, to experience nature, but lifting something repeatedly or biking in place doesn't seem to have any point to it.
  • laurenq1991
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    A lot of "I hate"...

Nobody can help you until you give up one of those "I hate".

Give up one and start there. 😉

Which is exactly why I'm asking how people stop hating exercise....
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    As @clicketykeys said, you basically have to suck it up and do it. Which do you hate more? Working out or lacking the strength you say you want?
  • laurenq1991
    Options
    What about yoga or pilates, have you ever tried those?

I haven't tried pilates (don't really know what it is), have taken yoga classes in school and don't consider it to be a workout.