how to not hate exercise?

Options

Replies

• laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can though. I know people who have completed marathons at a slower pace than that (I think 14-15 minutes per mile). If the pace you're going at is causing undue fatigue, you can always go slower.
    Really? When I first started walking I was a 20 minute mile. On a good day. That was in 2014. I'm fiercely proud of my 12:11 mile and have completed 2 half marathons at that pace.

Slow progress is still progress.

So maybe I should try speedwalking instead, and try to not be ashamed of myself for not being able to do running or Crossfit like other people?
    Maybe you should ask your mental health professional if they can refer you to someone who would be more understanding.

I don't have one.
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    So if you've ruled out physical reasons for being so exhausted, it sounds like it's entirely psychological? Like do you THINK "I'm exercising and it makes me tired"? or are you actually THAT tired? I mean, yeah, start slowly and build up, but by no means should you be THAT exhausted that exercising consumes half of your day. I get up at 2am, hit the gym, then work a 12+ hour day as a police officer, go home and be a mom to a wild monkey of a 3rd-grader, then do it again the next day.

I don't wanna sound harsh, but as some others have pointed out, most of your post is negative -
    you HATE working out
    you HATE this
    you HATE that
    this WON'T work
    you CAN'T do that
    this takes TOO LONG
    that DOESN'T DO anything
    etc
    etc
    etc

I think your attitude is a HUGE factor here. I honestly didn't like lifting when I first started. But now I love it and it keeps me sane. You may have to wedge a crowbar into that closed mind, wedge it open a bit, and force yourself to give something a fair chance.

Or just continue to complain and come up with excuses about it. I mean, I'm sorry, but no matter how many thousands of people read/comment on this thread, we can't do it for you and if you won't try something (or maybe "try again, for the first time") and will only say why it won't/can't work, then...dunno. Stalemate.

I haven't ruled out physical reasons. A lot of physical conditions are commonly undiagnosed for years. For example chronic fatigue syndrome is very hard to diagnose. But so far if there is a physical reason, no doctors have found it. It might not even be an illness or condition but just the way I am. Maybe not everyone is built for strenuous exercise. I've always found sports like running to be draining but I have walked over 20 miles in a day or hiked up and down mountains for 7 hours and not had a problem with it. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do those sorts of workouts regularly.

Also I was on the track team for two years so I think I did give running a fair chance.

• oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It's been said but maybe give yoga a go. Also I think consistency is key. Set a reminder on your phone or whatever, do whatever workout you have chosen and do it no matter what. Give it time - like 3 months or more and decide how you like it when you are seeing results and your routine is getting easier.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Low vitamin D will absolutely cause fatigue and it can cause depression. Has your doctor prescribed you a supplement?

Yes. Unfortunately, taking them is another thing I have trouble remembering to do every day. I usually only remember at night and it's not recommended to take them at night because they could cause insomnia. I did take them almost every day for a few weeks recently though and it didn't really seem to help.
    Set an alarm. When I was taking mes that I needed to take on a regular basis that was how I made sure I took them.

I would also suggest seeing someone to work on the trauma from your past therapist as well as the PTSD and OCD.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Low vitamin D will absolutely cause fatigue and it can cause depression. Has your doctor prescribed you a supplement?

Yes. Unfortunately, taking them is another thing I have trouble remembering to do every day. I usually only remember at night and it's not recommended to take them at night because they could cause insomnia. I did take them almost every day for a few weeks recently though and it didn't really seem to help.

Put an alarm on your phone, simple fix.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    stutba wrote: »
    I am the slowest runner on earth. If I had the attitude I cant run because I am not like the other athletes or athlete. I would be a couch potato.
    I am not athletic in nature, clumsy as all heck, but I CHOOSE to run because it is good for my health and waist line. I will not break any records (Maybe the slowest record), but guess what, I am not in it for a medal.

You need to quit comparing yourself to everyone else and exercise at a rate you can tolerate without all the hates.
    Attitude is Everything.

nah you could probably outrun me :)