Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

why do people think you can be healthy at every size?

Options

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Yeah, well, if you define ‘a healthy diet’ as ‘no more than you need’ then by definition nobody is going to get fat eating one!

What that has to do with whether overweight people can actually be healthy is entiely beyond me, though.
  • WC1982
    WC1982 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I know it’s an old saying but true non the less. Your body is your car. If you maintenance it, exercise It,and give it the right fuel it will take you wherever you want to go. Or, you can put the wrong fuel in, never drive it or maintenance it and just let it fall apart. The difference is with your body you only get one. You can live a healthy life, be active with your kids, or grandchildren depending on your age, or just watch and wish. Personally I don’t want to be the parent or grandparent that only sits on the side lines and watches. I want to be active with them and feel good about my self.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I note with mild amusement that the OP has not returned to the thread since her underlying assumption that overweight people can’t be healthy has been proven so completely wrong.

I wouldn't say it has been proven wrong. I am still not convinced.

The more bizarre claim that OP made is that you can't become obese if you are healthy.

But obviously someone BMI 26 (which is overweight) can be healthy. [Note: I see later you referenced obese only, but the initial post I was responding too said overweight.]

I still fail to see how anyone could be obese and healthy. You simply cannot become obese following a healthy lifestyle. (Which includes a healthy and educated perception of how much one should eat, exercise, and not eating as a coping mechanism, all unhealthy behaviors)

Body builders sometimes struggle when they have to bulk for months because it’s HARD to eat enough to put on so much weight if you are exercising and eating a balanced diet long term. It’s easy to gain a few lbs over indulging, but not the amount to become obese.

I don’t know any obese people who exercise and eat right. I thought I did, but after living with two I realized both had a secret binging problem.

Actually, I know a few people who had generally healthy habits that ended up overweight or even obese. That usually accompanied a change in habits (new jobs, having kids, etc) that meant they were not as active as they had been but hadn't adjusted their eating habits to match and gained weight over time (1-2 years, so they probably gained at about a rate of .5 lb per week on average). They weren't binging, just eating day-to-day according to the habits they had when they were significantly more active.

Obviously, if a person has progressed to the higher risk obesity classes (35+ BMI) it's probable that there are co-existing psychological or behavioral issues that need to be addressed. It's a bad assumption that this is always the case for people who the overweight or low-risk obesity classes, however.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I note with mild amusement that the OP has not returned to the thread since her underlying assumption that overweight people can’t be healthy has been proven so completely wrong.

The more bizarre claim that OP made is that you can't become obese if you are healthy.

But obviously someone BMI 26 (which is overweight) can be healthy. [Note: I see later you referenced obese only, but the initial post I was responding too said overweight.]

I still fail to see how anyone could be obese and healthy.

You are misstating the claim. What OP said is that a healthy person is incapable of becoming obese, that it requires that one already have a health problem in order to become obese.

As for whether one can be obese and be healthy, it depends on how we define healthy. Obesity is a risk factor. To minimize the change of developing a health problem, it is something that should be changed (along with other risk factors, like eating a bad diet, not exercising, lack of sleep, stress, drinking to excess, smoking). The idea of healthier at any size (in a good way -- I have big issues with what HAES has become) is that even obese people can improve their risk factors (even if for them weight loss has led to unhealthy things like restricting and bingeing or rapid loss and regain). It says you focus on the risk factors that you feel like you can control -- improve the diet, become more active.

I would personally separate being currently unhealthy (having bad test results or a medical condition) from having risk factors that ideally should be reduced. Saying someone may currently be healthy yet obese does not mean it's not a risk factor that can be avoided and that it's not better to lose weight, but one does not automatically suffer from poor health as soon as one hits 30 BMI.

26 BMI is not much of a risk factor, and that's the number I mentioned.
    You simply cannot become obese following a healthy lifestyle.

If you define as "a healthy lifestyle" never overeating or not eating even a little over one's maintenance for a period of years, I suppose, but that's a circular argument and so not very interesting.

I don't think most people equate "being healthy" and "always living a healthy lifestyle in all ways" and usually when people are claimed to not eat a healthy diet, they mean nutrient poor or too high in sugar and unhealthy fats or some such. Or bingeing behaviors, perhaps. Not merely eating enough to gain 2-5 lbs per year, and it's easy to become obese doing that, over time.

I think most people don't find it that hard to overeat some when food is available, and most probably don't have a good natural sense of how much they are eating vs. their maintenance requirements without some reason to start focusing on this and learn.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

I still fail to see how anyone could be obese and healthy. You simply cannot become obese following a healthy lifestyle. (Which includes a healthy and educated perception of how much one should eat, exercise, and not eating as a coping mechanism, all unhealthy behaviors)

Body builders sometimes struggle when they have to bulk for months because it’s HARD to eat enough to put on so much weight if you are exercising and eating a balanced diet long term. It’s easy to gain a few lbs over indulging, but not the amount to become obese.

I don’t know any obese people who exercise and eat right. I thought I did, but after living with two I realized both had a secret binging problem.

Actually, I know a few people who had generally healthy habits that ended up overweight ...

This is me. I was never obese, about 20lbs or so overweight and while I have gotten more active in recent months, the primary difference is that I eat less now. I worked out several times a week, active on the job etc. I just had seconds every dinner and wasn't mindful of snacking throughout the day at all. It added up and snuck up.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

I still fail to see how anyone could be obese and healthy.

You are misstating the claim. What OP said is that a healthy person is incapable of becoming obese, that it requires that one already have a health problem in order to become obese.

As for whether one can be obese and be healthy, it depends on how we define healthy. Obesity is a risk factor. To minimize the change of developing a health problem, it is something that should be changed (along with other risk factors, like eating a bad diet, not exercising, lack of sleep, stress, drinking to excess, smoking). The idea of healthier at any size (in a good way -- I have big issues with what HAES has become) is that even obese people can improve their risk factors (even if for them weight loss has led to unhealthy things like restricting and bingeing or rapid loss and regain). It says you focus on the risk factors that you feel like you can control -- improve the diet, become more active.

I would personally separate being currently unhealthy (having bad test results or a medical condition) from having risk factors that ideally should be reduced. Saying someone may currently be healthy yet obese does not mean it's not a risk factor that can be avoided and that it's not better to lose weight, but one does not automatically suffer from poor health as soon as one hits 30 BMI.

26 BMI is not much of a risk factor, and that's the number I mentioned.
    You simply cannot become obese following a healthy lifestyle.

If you define as "a healthy lifestyle" never overeating or not eating even a little over one's maintenance for a period of years, I suppose, but that's a circular argument and so not very interesting.

I don't think most people equate "being healthy" and "always living a healthy lifestyle in all ways" and usually when people are claimed to not eat a healthy diet, they mean nutrient poor or too high in sugar and unhealthy fats or some such. Or bingeing behaviors, perhaps. Not merely eating enough to gain 2-5 lbs per year, and it's easy to become obese doing that, over time.

I think most people don't find it that hard to overeat some when food is available, and most probably don't have a good natural sense of how much they are eating vs. their maintenance requirements without some reason to start focusing on this and learn.

Very good points, I completely understand where you are coming from and your words have changed my thoughts on the matter.
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Actually, I know a few people who had generally healthy habits that ended up overweight ...

This is me. I was never obese, about 20lbs or so overweight and while I have gotten more active in recent months, the primary difference is that I eat less now. I worked out several times a week, active on the job etc. I just had seconds every dinner and wasn't mindful of snacking throughout the day at all. It added up and snuck up.

I definitely was not talking about this. I have always known small lifestyle changes like this could cause someone to be overweight. I was more talking about obese/morbidly obese. But I guess if you do nothing about it for years you would get morbidly obese. (Even with a higher BMR counteracting it)

I really think I would have gotten there if I didn't get a wake up call. It still bugs me that I let it get that far lol.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I originally got obese because I was always hungry.

Is feeling unbearable hunger pangs when bored an illness?