Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on getting old vs aging

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Vailara wrote: »
    I think it might be something that varies from person to person. I was very fit when I was young, but now in my late fifties, with longterm health conditions and buckets of medication, I feel like every ounce of fitness is very hardwon. Everything is so, so much harder than it was in the past. Not to mention, more painful!

For instance, I was happily doing heavy lifting at 50. At 50, I felt mentally invigorated and "tired in a good way" after a session. A couple of years later, I was struggling to make it through a session without crying and afterwards felt completely drained and hopeless. I gave it up, for the sake of my mental health.

I would love to be able to say it's all about attitude and mindset! But as much as I try to maintain a young outlook, my body is letting me down. I see people older than me who are not having this experience, so I know it's not just about age, but I don't know what makes the difference for people who are making the effort to keep fit. Genetics? Health conditions? Medication? Hormones? Who knows! I just know the experience isn't the same for everybody.

Anyway ... I'm still working at it, because I know the situation would be worse if I gave up! I would be so happy if people were asking me "Don't you know how old you are?"! It would be wonderful to feel and act younger!

Sometimes we just have to try new things. If lifting is giving you problems, can you swim? or cycle? or do yoga?...... There's always a way. I hope you can find an exercise to do that makes you feel awesome. Luck.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Ironically since losing weight and starting a regular walking routine I am in MUCH better shape than I was 20 years ago and I'm 62. I feel so much younger that I surprise myself when I think about my age. For many years I was looking forward to be over 60 so I had an excuse to be old and lazy. Now I'm thrilled to be able to keep up with my kids and grandkids. I'm starting weight lifting and planning more hiking and biking this summer.
    Regarding the bold, I get the funniest looks when I say that. I love it :)
  • Phirrgus
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    I'm 45 and I was told once I shouldn't be able to do something on the ice at my age Um why not?!??!

My mom just had a hip replacement and the surgeon said he could tell she hasn't been active by the condition of her bones. She's only 74. I curl with people in their 80s and 90s and they are throwing take outs and perfect shots and are vibrant and happy...why? Because they've remained active. It really is the fountain of youth.

My Nana broke her wrist in her 60s because she wanted to try out our skateboards. I want to be like her or my curling buddies when I grow up

Me too :)
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Steff46 wrote: »
    My husband and I stay active. He is 56 and I'm 53 and we are both triathletes. All of our training friends are old enough to be our kids but we don't care. We say this all the time, "you don't stop when you get old, you get old when you stop."

Mountain biker too?
  • Phirrgus
    AliNouveau wrote: »

My Nana had been an Olympic runner in her youth at a time when women didn't really do that so fitness was just a part of her life. It's always been a part of my life and I hope it remains that way
    Same here, and the same hope for you. :)
    bearly63 wrote: »
    This is going to sound odd but since becoming empty nesters (Junior in college and new college graduate), I feel younger than I did 10 years ago. It took us a good year to get used to having the house to ourselves but being able to be semi-selfish, self-absorbed, etc has helped. We are finally doing things that will add years to our lives, at least we hope. We have always been exercisers but more so now. Eating healthier, working on drinking less or not at all, yoga, etc. Don't get me wrong....I am happy with the knowledge and confidence that comes with being 55 but I refuse to be placed in the "elderly" box and will fight it tooth and nail until I either don't know who the heck I am or am six feet under.

It's not odd at all. Our girls always ask if we miss having them under our roof. It's always "no" :D

On the bolded statement, Amen.
  • Phirrgus
    Steff46 wrote: »
    My husband and I stay active. He is 56 and I'm 53 and we are both triathletes. All of our training friends are old enough to be our kids but we don't care. We say this all the time, "you don't stop when you get old, you get old when you stop."

I love that.
  • Phirrgus
    pinuplove wrote: »
    This is going to sound odd but since becoming empty nesters (Junior in college and new college graduate), I feel younger than I did 10 years ago. It took us a good year to get used to having the house to ourselves but being able to be semi-selfish, self-absorbed, etc has helped. We are finally doing things that will add years to our lives, at least we hope. We have always been exercisers but more so now. Eating healthier, working on drinking less or not at all, yoga, etc. Don't get me wrong....I am happy with the knowledge and confidence that comes with being 55 but I refuse to be placed in the "elderly" box and will fight it tooth and nail until I either don't know who the heck I am or am six feet under.

I married at 20 and had kiddo #1 of 2 at 21. I damn sure want to be able to enjoy the rest of my life after kicking them (gently ;) ) out of the nest! Staying healthy and active is a big part of that.

Youngest starts high school next year. The countdown begins...
    @pinuplove What are you, like 29?

Kidding!! I'm kidding lol, put down the rock. :D
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »

I married at 20 and had kiddo #1 of 2 at 21. I damn sure want to be able to enjoy the rest of my life after kicking them (gently ;) ) out of the nest! Staying healthy and active is a big part of that.

Youngest starts high school next year. The countdown begins...
    @pinuplove What are you, like 29?

Kidding!! I'm kidding lol, put down the rock. :D

Suuuuure.... 29 + 10 :tongue: