Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on getting old vs aging

Options

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    missmince wrote: »
    I get so aggravated that "old" and "middle aged" are treated as bad words. It's just age, not helplessness. Saying that someone seems so young shouldn't be a compliment. I don't want to fight age, just do the best I can, with the added advantage of experience and more patience. The members of my family haven't let getting older alter their activities, except due to illness. I guess there's some luck there, and reward for a lifetime of fairly healthy behaviors, but they've had no trouble describing themselves as old, however fit they are/were. My grandfather ran miles every morning into his eighties, and my dad does hiking, heavy duty landscaping, and furniture making at 78. That is old. It isn't bad, and doesn't define who you are and what you do. Being 49 is still way better than 19 for me. I don't miss "young", been there, done that. Middle aged is a term I'm happy with. I'm not trying to stay young, just do whatever my body will allow, day by day. Young, middle aged, or old are not measures of what you can do, just how many years you've been alive.

@missmince

We agree 🙂
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    My hubby & I didn't have our kids until we were almost 40. My hubby has always been a very energetic, active guy and has lifted weights his whole life, and our friends predicted that having kids would hit him hard. I would tell them, "Nope- the kids will have a hard time keeping up with him!" Over 10 years later, he waits by the door like a puppy wanting to go sledding or play basketball, and the kids (sadly) don't want anything to do with it. I'm sure he'll still be waiting when/if grandkids ever enter the picture. ;)

We won't talk about me :/

You know, it's only been the past few years that my wife learned that not only is it ok to hide around a corner and ambush me...it's actually fun. Life is too short to not have some fun when we can...but that's just us. We won't talk about you 😉❤

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    My hubby & I didn't have our kids until we were almost 40. My hubby has always been a very energetic, active guy and has lifted weights his whole life, and our friends predicted that having kids would hit him hard. I would tell them, "Nope- the kids will have a hard time keeping up with him!" Over 10 years later, he waits by the door like a puppy wanting to go sledding or play basketball, and the kids (sadly) don't want anything to do with it. I'm sure he'll still be waiting when/if grandkids ever enter the picture. ;)

You know, it's only been the past few years that my wife learned that not only is it ok to hide around a corner and ambush me...it's actually fun. Life is too short to not have some fun when we can...but that's just us. We won't talk about you 😉❤

I've always been no fun, even when I was a kid. I was the kid at sleepovers telling the others to shut up and go to sleep ;)

• Phirrgus
    Options

I've always been no fun, even when I was a kid. I was the kid at sleepovers telling the others to shut up and go to sleep ;)

Oh now now...I bet that's a bit extreme. ;)

I would suggest an aggressive therapy. Go outside. Call husband to the door. Have major, no holds barred snow ball fight. Profit :)
  • piddings1951
    piddings1951 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I’ve always thought you have 2 ages- your physical age and your actual age. I’m 68 and my goal is to be physically 20 years younger than my actual age. It’s a mindset. I work all day with 24 year olds. I hate the fact that we are defined by our age. The number is such an excuse to not take care of yourself and check out of society. There are lots of great things happening every day. To not accept that is to miss out on a lot. I hate all that “kids these days!!” Like we were any better!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    I dig that philosophy. You’re only as old as you feel 👍🏼
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    There is a thread with an identical title from a few days ago that you may want to join in on the conversation on https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10728170/thoughts-on-getting-old-vs-aging/
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I am 46. I do yoga several times a week with a group that calls themselves "the 70"s club". I can only hope to be as active and positive as these people. They are amazing. I have observed 3 things: 1) Almost every one has ailments (broken hips, shoulders, blindness), but they don't use it as an excuse. 2) They are consistent. 3) They all have a great sense of humor and laugh at themselves and each other.

Your point 3..the inspiration I get from folks such as they is priceless. My dad existed. Several of his friends Lived, and the difference was staggering. [/quote]

Re-reading the discussion reminded me of a video that I really liked from a race last year. The first 2 minutes are basically IM marketing its history, but notice the people in the pre race chat (2:30 mark) and the late finishers in the race (8:00). My 2 favorite segments are at the 8:30 mark, where a 75 year old crosses the finish line and again at the 8:50 mark, where I guy who had failed to make the time cutoff in his first 6 attempts, completes the race within the 17 hour cutoff. Many of the participants may be "middle aged" or "old" according to the calendar, but its also very clear that none of them have worried too much about being too old to continue pursuing the things they enjoy.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Me too! :lol:
  • try2again
    Options
    Saw this tonight and it made me think of this thread:

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/meet-the-86-year-old-soaring-to-great-heights-as-the-world-s-oldest-trapeze-artist-1447580739682

I kept telling my hubby, "There is no way that woman is 86 years old!" Aside from staying active and a great attitude towards life, those have to be some award-winning genes!
  • try2again
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Lol... I'm not alone? <3 6 going on 60! I may have told the other kids to get off my lawn ;)
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

Re-reading the discussion reminded me of a video that I really liked from a race last year. The first 2 minutes are basically IM marketing its history, but notice the people in the pre race chat (2:30 mark) and the late finishers in the race (8:00). My 2 favorite segments are at the 8:30 mark, where a 75 year old crosses the finish line and again at the 8:50 mark, where I guy who had failed to make the time cutoff in his first 6 attempts, completes the race within the 17 hour cutoff. Many of the participants may be "middle aged" or "old" according to the calendar, but its also very clear that none of them have worried too much about being too old to continue pursuing the things they enjoy.

That is just awesome! Thank you!
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Lol... I'm not alone? <3 6 going on 60! I may have told the other kids to get off my lawn ;)

😂😂
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Saw this tonight and it made me think of this thread:

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/meet-the-86-year-old-soaring-to-great-heights-as-the-world-s-oldest-trapeze-artist-1447580739682

I kept telling my hubby, "There is no way that woman is 86 years old!" Aside from staying active and a great attitude towards life, those have to be some award-winning genes!

My wife and I are just sitting here jaws hanging open. Wow...thanks for posting that!!