Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on getting old vs aging

Options

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    MichSmish wrote: »
    I just simply love this! I’m 34 right now, but hope to carry the OPs philosophy with me as my chronological age advances, so my emotional and mental (and physical!) age will continue to thrive and play and be silly! 😊

I wasn't going to mention my emotional or mental age :Do:)

12???

:)
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    (From your article that you mentioned)

"Do you know any 75 year-olds that act like they’re 35?"

Yes, the Rolling Stones, and more specifically Mick Jagger. I'm a big Stones fan, and Mick actually inspired me to start exercising. He has a very impressive fitness regimen thanks to his dad who was a gym teacher. (there's a video on YouTube of a 15 year old Mick Jagger in his dad's fitness instruction video- it's pretty funny!) Google "Mick Jagger fitness regimen" and you'll find a handful of articles of what he does to stay in shape. The man dances and prances 12+ miles on stage every night. When he's not performing, he's taking dance classes, goes jogging, lifts weights in his own personal gym, etc. The list goes on. When I read about this, I thought "well I just ran out of excuses not to exercise!" (that counts as cardio, right?! :D ) I mean, the man is 75 years old with the body and spirit of a 20-something. If he could do it, then so can I.

There's also an 86 year old woman bodybuilder named Ernestine Shepard whom I just adore. Omg, this woman just inspires me every single day! She started bodybuilding at 72 and has gone on to win so many awards and fame. God bless her, she is amazing, truly an inspiration to me.

These are the kinds of people that I look up to. That's how I want to be someday- fit, healthy and energetic!

"Do you know any 40 year-olds that act like they’re 80?"

Yes, I've personally known some people in their 30's that act like they're 100! They don't realize the youth and vitality that they still have, let alone use it. It's actually sad to witness. They are not living life to their full potential and unhappy.

Phirrgus, age is just number. Those people who said hurtful things to you are hurting on the inside- they're jealous and wish they could have the energy, zest and health that you have. You're getting a reaction out of people because you are doing something right that makes people notice you. That's what happens when you take care of yourself- suddenly people notice you!

I know this because I was morbidly obese- 6 feet tall, 355 pounds and NOBODY noticed me... ever! People would actually walk right into me. You see my profile pic? How could anyone possibly miss me, the big fat bright pink blob that I was?! Now that I began leading a healthy lifestyle, people move out of the way, hold doors for me, greet me with a smile, salespeople notice me, etc. Trust me- if people are taking notice and saying stuff, it's a sign you are doing something right!

So screw the haters and just keep doing you- your body will thank you for it, and you'll be so grateful that you did! Keep eating healthy, keep working out and exercising, keep showing 'em how it's done! DO NOT give up, DO NOT QUIT! Screw the haters! You do you! You got this!

Stay awesome, sir!
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    I think age is defined in the "mind's eye". If you feel old, you act old. I too know people who seemed to have slowed right down and they haven't even reached 50 yet.

I also know some people who are in their 80's that still have a vigorous life.

I have a renewed sense of staying "young" because I just lost a brother. He was 55. Way too young to have died considering he was not in ill health. He was a kind and decent person and his passing was a complete shock.

I'll be damned if I don't try living "younger". When something tragic like this happens you really start to get a better perspective on the way you live.

Very sorry for your loss, my condolences! <3
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    I just simply love this! I’m 34 right now, but hope to carry the OPs philosophy with me as my chronological age advances, so my emotional and mental (and physical!) age will continue to thrive and play and be silly! 😊

Haha 😆
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

12???

:)

@Tacklewasher that just means I have a solid 40 years ahead of me 😎
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    @Kimmotion5783

I love it. Don't ever stop 🙂

Here's another for you. Enjoy

https://youtu.be/uKJaZDGVNWA

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    That video of Sonny the bodybuilder is brilliant in its simplicity. He is living proof that there are no "secrets" to succeed, just a daily decision to make the effort.

Here's another one of my favorites....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuPLxQD4akQ

• Phirrgus
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    That video of Sonny the bodybuilder is brilliant in its simplicity. He is living proof that there are no "secrets" to succeed, just a daily decision to make the effort.

Here's another one of my favorites....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuPLxQD4akQ

@Djproulx ..fantastic video thanks. The guy going down that sharp ridge...I wish I could run. I would love that 🙂
  • Phirrgus
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Linda21353 wrote: »
    I turned 67 two weeks ago. I just got a call from my doctor and my blood work came back as normal. My BP was 112/62. When I was in my 50s I was obese, drinking every day and not careful with my diet. My kidneys were failing after being on blood pressure meds for over 5 years. I’ve had issues with my weight since I was 16. I’ve learned that you are what you eat and exercise is the fountain of youth. While my hair is white and my laugh lines are deep, I’m in the best health ever. I’ve lost 45 lbs but still have 30 to go. I will say this to you youngsters, it’s harder to take off when you get older. It’s a lifestyle change. Do it while you’re young. I consider myself very blessed and want to travel while I’m still able. Add me as a friend if you wish. I just got back on MFP after being absent for a while. I’ll be happy to help in any way I can.

@Linda21353 ...very inspiring. I agree with you too. I never really let my health go, but I could have taken it more seriously too. I have a great bunch of friends on my feed, and sending you a request as well. 🙂

Edit: it won't let me add you...sent a message instead...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    rosiorama wrote: »
    I am currently reading “Older Faster Stronger” by Margaret Webb. I found out about the book from the link below, which was sent around by a friend whose husband, nearing 50, was concerned about facing physical decline as he aged. Although the book was written by a woman for female runners, it has a lot of interesting information about how much fitness slows a significant amount of the decline that comes with getting older and being less active.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2010156/age-irrelevant-when-it-comes-fitness

Great video. Between that and the book, I feel I should take up running again.

Turning 45 this year. Being active is so beneficial to my psyche. My dad spent his whole adult life practising being old. I plan to fight it every step of the way. I don’t want to end up a doddering lump in an old age home, and I’m gonna do whatever I can to mitigate that horror.

I'm your age and I just recently (weeks ago) achieved my fastest ever running pace. I highly recommend weight training to supplement your running. I haven't had an injury in several years, since I started lifting heavy. I think it's made me both less prone to injury and more powerful (which is translating into speed.) You can do this! B)

P.S. I don't see it as "fighting" old age. It's not a struggle to me. I just see it as adapting to and growing with the changes. :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Saw this tonight and it made me think of this thread:

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/meet-the-86-year-old-soaring-to-great-heights-as-the-world-s-oldest-trapeze-artist-1447580739682

I kept telling my hubby, "There is no way that woman is 86 years old!" Aside from staying active and a great attitude towards life, those have to be some award-winning genes!

That's so me at 86! Woo-hoo! I love it when I see fit older people. I look at them as role models. It makes me excited for my future. <3
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    rosiorama wrote: »
    I am currently reading “Older Faster Stronger” by Margaret Webb. I found out about the book from the link below, which was sent around by a friend whose husband, nearing 50, was concerned about facing physical decline as he aged. Although the book was written by a woman for female runners, it has a lot of interesting information about how much fitness slows a significant amount of the decline that comes with getting older and being less active.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2010156/age-irrelevant-when-it-comes-fitness

Great video. Between that and the book, I feel I should take up running again.

Turning 45 this year. Being active is so beneficial to my psyche. My dad spent his whole adult life practising being old. I plan to fight it every step of the way. I don’t want to end up a doddering lump in an old age home, and I’m gonna do whatever I can to mitigate that horror.

I'm your age and I just recently (weeks ago) achieved my fastest ever running pace. I highly recommend weight training to supplement your running. I haven't had an injury in several years, since I started lifting heavy. I think it's made me both less prone to injury and more powerful (which is translating into speed.) You can do this! B)

P.S. I don't see it as "fighting" old age. It's not a struggle to me. I just see it as adapting to and growing with the changes. :)

I’ve been lifting weights for about four years now, more or less consistently. I started lifting (I was more into cardio and running then) over fifteen years ago.

I’ve had chronic knee problems since I was a pre-teen, made worse by an injury that required surgery. It has affected my ability to do physical activity for most of my life and I live with varying levels of pain most of the time.

Every physical activity I do is done with consideration for what it will do to the knee: the extent that I push during lower body workouts, running, winter walking, you name it.

But thanks for your advice. 😎
  • ecs1516
    ecs1516 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @Phirrgus The Blue Zones researchers make it really clear that while the diets of people in the BZs are important, there is a pretty good chance that their healthy longevity comes from their lifestyles - they still work, play, socialize, etc right through their 90s and past 100. In the book they talk to a 100+ man who still herds his animals walking several miles with them every day. Our assumption that being past a certain age means becoming a dependent lump I think really handicaps us in western society.

My parents are in their 70s and just retired to VA. They had a 2 story house built on a decent sized piece of land, and everyone told them they were nuts to make their retirement home with stairs and a big yard to care for. But their philosophy is use it or lose it. If I have to get up the stairs, I'll prioritize being capable of getting up the stairs.

I like your parents attitude too! I will be 53 next month.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    The downward spiral happens when the inevitable health problem hits you: if you are of a certain age and fall down, if you have low bone density and weak muscles, you may break your hip – if you’ve been managing your fitness, you may just get a nasty bruise. The person with the broken hip will be sidelined for months, and this is usually step one on the path to gaining weight, losing mobility, and developing associated health problems that you may never fully recover from. Be proactive and build your resilience!

I can attest to this - my mom (who wasn't in the best physical shape) broke her hip falling in the bathtub when she was 73... we said our last goodbyes less than a year later.

My father, on the other hand will turn 80 this summer and still goes out for breakfast 5-7 days a week, does all his own shopping and even a fair percentage of his own yard work.