Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on getting old vs aging

Options

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I’m not near old age yet (a sprightly 37!) but I agree with all of you—staying active and learning new things doesn’t have to end at a certain age. I want my husband and I to be healthy and active enough to truly enjoy his retirement when it eventually comes—I don’t want our “rest” after decades of work to be sitting on the couch bc we’re not well enough to travel.

Already I’m fitter, smaller, faster, and more muscular than I was at 27 (heck, than I was at 17!), so no reason I can’t try and keep it up! I see my parents battle the pains and problems of decades of obesity and inactivity (and they’re in relatively good health, all things considered), and while I want to follow in their (extensive) travel footprints, I actually want to hike in the Grand Canyon or go rafting or kayaking while in WVa, not just walk out to the scenic overlooks.

I'm glad younger folks are jumping in here and sharing, thanks. I learned everything I did not want to do from the old (as opposed to aged) people in my life. Keep on going. :)
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Age is just a number look at that famous star he just had a kid and he 69 i think. There's hope for me yet
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Mountain biker too?[/quote]

Yes :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    bearly63 wrote: »
    This is going to sound odd but since becoming empty nesters (Junior in college and new college graduate), I feel younger than I did 10 years ago. It took us a good year to get used to having the house to ourselves but being able to be semi-selfish, self-absorbed, etc has helped. We are finally doing things that will add years to our lives, at least we hope. We have always been exercisers but more so now. Eating healthier, working on drinking less or not at all, yoga, etc. Don't get me wrong....I am happy with the knowledge and confidence that comes with being 55 but I refuse to be placed in the "elderly" box and will fight it tooth and nail until I either don't know who the heck I am or am six feet under.

I married at 20 and had kiddo #1 of 2 at 21. I damn sure want to be able to enjoy the rest of my life after kicking them (gently ;) ) out of the nest! Staying healthy and active is a big part of that.

Youngest starts high school next year. The countdown begins...
    @pinuplove What are you, like 29?

Kidding!! I'm kidding lol, put down the rock. :D

Suuuuure.... 29 + 10 :tongue:

<<bites tongue way too hard, now it's bleeding>>
  • como_agua1
    como_agua1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Aging is a mindset. You're only old when you stop dreaming, laughing and doing.

@SurfyFoFurfy which is why you still look like a teenager <3
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound odd but since becoming empty nesters (Junior in college and new college graduate), I feel younger than I did 10 years ago. It took us a good year to get used to having the house to ourselves but being able to be semi-selfish, self-absorbed, etc has helped. We are finally doing things that will add years to our lives, at least we hope. We have always been exercisers but more so now. Eating healthier, working on drinking less or not at all, yoga, etc. Don't get me wrong....I am happy with the knowledge and confidence that comes with being 55 but I refuse to be placed in the "elderly" box and will fight it tooth and nail until I either don't know who the heck I am or am six feet under.

I married at 20 and had kiddo #1 of 2 at 21. I damn sure want to be able to enjoy the rest of my life after kicking them (gently ;) ) out of the nest! Staying healthy and active is a big part of that.

Please! I'm dyyyying to hear what you have to say about my age, you being such a spring chicken and all :tongue:
  • Phirrgus
    Options

Please! I'm dyyyying to hear what you have to say about my age, you being such a spring chicken and all :tongue:

:D
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    40 here, I'd say I don't really start to think "getting old" until I hear 70. Seems to me like people into their late 60s seem to function perfectly fine without outward signs of age these days.

It wasn't that long ago that 65 as retirement made a lot of sense because people died around 68 or so and were starting to get infirm in their 60s. I don't really think that is the case anymore.

Now do 20 year olds feel that way to? I don't know, but I'd guess they just don't think about it at all.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    40 here, I'd say I don't really start to think "getting old" until I hear 70. Seems to me like people into their late 60s seem to function perfectly fine without outward signs of age these days.

It wasn't that long ago that 65 as retirement made a lot of sense because people died around 68 or so and were starting to get infirm in their 60s. I don't really think that is the case anymore.

Now do 20 year olds feel that way to? I don't know, but I'd guess they just don't think about it at all.

That's pretty much my view as well. I haven't mentioned her yet in the thread, but I often point family members towards my mother, who is coming up on 77. She might hit the bed earlier than younger folks, but at that age she is still sharp and as active as any 40 somethings I know. Oddly enough - she's one of the ones who always asks If I ralize how old I am. :D
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Love this thread!
    66 here.

”It all comes down to one thing, Red. Get busy living or get busy dying.”-Andy Dufresne (The Shawshank Redemption)

I completely agree. :)
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Ed_Zilla wrote: »
    OP...I am 58 and entering/training for my second Sprint Triathlon. My friends say I am nuts but I think they are. They eat, drink, smoke cigars, get heavier and heavier, bad knees, bad hips, diabetes, high BP, etc. Their main activity is watching movies/TV and eating out. There are a few exceptions, but very few.

I plan to fight old age as long as I am able.

BTW - I got passed near the end of the cycling portion of my first Sprint Tri by a 78 y.o. man. He flew by me and ran fast too. He beat me by a solid 10+ minutes. His goal, he said, was to to participate in at least 1 Sprint Tri event per year until he dies or dies trying. That is now my mantra. BTW, he looked younger than his age by a lot.

On the bolded, isn't that a kicker? Similar here for me, although if they carry on too long I start talking to them about using mfp, and they usually go away lol.

A whole different event, but my wife and I got passed by a woman hiking a steep mountain trail a couple of years ago. She just winked and said "mid-70s" when my wife asked. I forgot all about that young lady until I read about your 78 y.o. buddy. :) Love it.