WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2019

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) Good Morning. I slept well last night so I woke up early feeling rested. I was exhausted when I went to bed after a day that included two hours of dog walking in the morning followed by teaching my line dance class that included reteaching a particularly difficult dance, weed pulling, another hour long dog walk, and lots of reading and paperwork. My library just got Gretchen Rubin's "Outer Order, Inner Calm" and I was the first person on the "hold" list. I started reading it last night. I highly recommend it not only to those of you who want to put your homes/lives in order but for others who have already been successful in creating outer order.

:)Nancy and Luana, I hope you will keep coming back. I read this thread every morning while I eat my breakfast. It's become part of a daily routine that has kept me on track with a weight loss program that helped me lose weight and keep it off. My life is pretty simple now except for a few health problems but I've learned a lot about removing stressful things from my life. I walk every morning and seek every opportunity to be active.

:) After a busier than usual week, I'm looking forward to a much slower pace today. The promised rain keeps staying away so I'll probably take advantage and do more work on my weed pulling project Jake cut the grass yesterday so the back yard looks great. One peony has been coming up for over a week and the second one just started to sprout yesterday. Life is looking good.

<3 Barbie
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Nancy, Luana, and any other new chatters!

Love, love, love all the beautiful photographs that are being shared! Terri R., your description of the freshly mowed lawn and beautiful blooms makes me smile.

BnL was moved from the hospital to a rehab facility yesterday after being in the hospital for almost two weeks. They are working to get his heart in sync and thyroid meds adjusted to clear his thinking. I think he will probably need full-time care from now on, but, will just have to wait and see. Even though we think he has saved boatloads of money in investments and savings, he is still reluctant to spend any of it. Very sad!

Carol in GA
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    beth so great that you’ve made a plan for a 2021 retirement. A plan is just that and can be adjusted as you go but crunching the numbers is a big deal. WTG!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka Lovely Tasmania. What a pastoral setting!

Beth Yay for retirement plans!

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    /
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Michele - love your ceramics!

Rita - you look wonderful!

Rebecca - what lovely views! I so hope you get this house.

Evelyn - thank you so much for your encouragement, I do hope you get lots of rain! The fire season was so bad the last couple of years.

Allie - good idea to get your foot checked. I find people out things off and end up causing more damage than necessary.

Terri - my dream vacation is Ireland. My grandmothers family came from there, when I was going through some of her paperwork I found a letter in response to one of hers asking for information. My husbands dream is all of Europe, but especially Scotland and Wales.

Machka - that looks so peaceful and relaxing!

Carol - I agree that it’s sad you BnL doesn’t want to spend, I have told my girls that there is no law that states I must leave something to them. Not that there is anything to leave anyway. I am fearful about retirement and old age. I had a friend that saved and saved, he had a kidney transplant and started spending a little bit. A few years later he was diagnosed with cancer and friends convinced him he should enjoy his time. He travelled for about 6 months, took a Mediterranean cruise, did all of Europe, bought a motorcycle. He travelled and just lived until his health wouldn’t let him anymore. He still left lots to his family.

I am going to pick up the Grands and bring them out for the day. I was going to say no when my daughter asked last night, but I love the activity they bring to the house. I think I’ll ask my daughter to go for my walk with me today though. I have a stroller her so Michaela can join us. It will be a slower walk, but it will still be exercise.

There is still about a foot of snow in our yard, it is melting, but it seems so slow going! The other side of the street is all bare. Just the way the sun lands I guess. I am enjoying all of the writings on how Spring is appearing in different areas of the world. My Grandson was shocked when we told him about Australia beginning the Fall soon.

Off to go grab the munchkins,
    Tracey In Edmonton
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Well now waiting for a foot xray.. here is hoping nothing broke. Xray done now we wait for them to be read
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: I have never seen or heard of invisible thread for quilting. I’ve limited personal experience. I made each of my kids a quilted pillow when they were young. I hand pieced each pillow top and quilted it using cotton thread. We still have the pillows somewhere although they’re near 40 years old. I also hand quilted a preprinted Christmas Tree Skirt. We haven’t used the skirt since we started bringing in our living potted Alberta Spruce trees. We chose them because they can tolerate being in the house for a few weeks in December and then taken back outdoors. :smiley:

Vickie GI NE: Good news about your improved weather and upcoming motorcycle rally! We are definitely enjoying our two zones. Our house feels like it has finally been healed from the raccoon invasion a few years ago. We had two zones before they went under our house and tore everything up. The furnace has been back in business for a long while. Now everything is back the way we like it, both the furnace and the air conditioner. :bigsmile;

NYKaren: It sounds like you’re going to have a home full for a whlle. You’re generous and I’m sure your guests will be grateful. :star:

Rita: You look happy and fabulous! :bigsmile:

Allie: I hope your foot is only bruised and will heal quickly. I hope the foot xrays don’t reveal any broken bones . It sounds like you’re having great fun making your home into just what you like. :flowerforyou:

Beth: The carrot top pesto & roasted carrots look wonderful. I can almost taste them. :star:

Nancy: I recommend raw celery sticks as snacks for stress munchies. They’re healthy and take more calories to digest than they contain. Win, Win. Welcome to a great group. :smiley:

Luana: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. There are a few of us Oregon women and one lives near Salem, but I don’t recall seeing her post for a while. I live beside the Columbia River NW of Portland. I hope you’ll love keeping in touch with this group. It has done wonders for me. :heart:

Irish Terri: Beautiful photos! :flowerforyou:

Machka: Tasmania is gorgeous! You & your DH both look like you are having a fabulous time. Yay! :bigsmile:

For newbies: this is the last day of March. Barbie will start a new thread for April at the end of the day. Click on it and bookmark the new thread so that you can find us easily.

DH and I went to a favorite Chinese restaurant yesterday and ordered a meal we’ve enjoyed before. This time it set DH’s digestion issues off and he spent hours last night in the bathroom. Evidently the meal contained garlic, and it is one of the triggers that upset his digestion. He has upcoming testing & the doctors will look at his digestive tract. I hope it leads to a treatment plan. His life hasn’t been much fun for quite a while. :broken_heart::heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I immensely enjoy the beautiful pictures you all share. My paternal grandfather traveled alone from Scotland to the US when he was twelve years old. When I was young we were in touch with two of his sisters still living in Scotland. They sent various magazines, newspapers, etc to us and we devoured them. My grandfather kept his Scottish brogue his entire life. He was a small wiry man. I dont recall him ever addressing me directly in my life, however we did not see him often. My maiden name was Kerr.

Love you my friends,
    Janetr OKC
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    KATLA ~ I had to check my calendar, but, the last day of the month will be on Sunday! :)<3B)
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    4MyFun wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting to any community or thread. I have always been the one to “go it alone”, and I find I have lost my drive going it alone as of late.... So, my quote I use is “Today is a new day” so here I am doing something “new” for me.... looking to find friends and support for the battle of the bulge....

I live in Oregon with my husband of 20+ years who loves to feed me... and our 4 toy poodles (spoiled kids)... I realize when reading a lot of posts and threads that I don’t have a ton of weight to lose, so I often feel out of place, but I do need/want to drop 35 pounds. Well, now 30. I started on March 18th at 152.8 pounds and want to be back to my 118 pounds from 5 years ago... as of this morning I am at 145.

I have severe fibromyalgia and it causes me a lot of problems and pain and although I try to push through, most times it pushes me right back. Especially this time of year when the weather is a yo-yo!

Would love to be on this journey with some others where we can chat, rant, whine and cheer one another whether losing 1 pound or 100 or simply making lifestyle changes to our diets - we all have a similar goal and that is to make a positive change in ourselves!

The word for March = Empowered

😊
    Luana
    Living in the Willamette Valley in wet Oregon

Hi, Luana. I also live in the Willamette Valley. Welcome. There are quite a few of us from the PNW.

Felicia, in Portland today
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Well I lucked out,nothing broken...they did find a dark spot on xray at base of big toe.my kidney dr mentioned something about parathyroid so it might be something with that.will see her beginning of may
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carol:: You did a better job looking at the calendar than I did. THANK YOU!!!!! :bigsmile:

Allie: I am delighted that nothing is broken. That is good news. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    There is still about a foot of snow in our yard, it is melting, but it seems so slow going! The other side of the street is all bare. Just the way the sun lands I guess. I am enjoying all of the writings on how Spring is appearing in different areas of the world. My Grandson was shocked when we told him about Australia beginning the Fall soon.

Off to go grab the munchkins,
    Tracey In Edmonton

We're a month into autumn now. The leaves of the non-native trees are starting to turn, and the temperature is cooling. :)

Machka in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Lovely cottage Machka! :D

My son came over this evening with flowers and a card for Mother's Day tomorrow. He is coming over tomorrow to visit when my brother and DSIL are here. I spent the day buying food for that evening. Then I slept because I was so tired with my cold and stiff neck. :( Feeling a bit better now.
    The food is from a really top quality deli, so I won't have too much prep to do. A bit of clearing up and all should be good.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Enjoying all the photos.
    Rebecca- hope you get to live in that beautiful place.
    Welcome Nancy and Luana. You will live this group.
    Not feeling my best today. Ugh
    SueBDew in TX.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) It is a beautiful day and my yard work was a lot like eating cashews. I had a plan for how much weeding I would do and then I kept pulling one more and one more and one more until I finally had to force myself to go back into the house. It is important to me to be careful about how much leaning over I do in a single session to protect my back from injury. My yard work is more entertainment than necessity.

:)Allie, glad your foot isn't broken. You'll be OK for dog walk and treadmill walking in no time.

:) It's close enough to the end of March that I changed from flannel sheets and a long sleeve sleep shirt back to cotton sheets and a short sleeve sleep shirt for the warming weather.

:)Machka, Your pictures of Tasmania are great. I'd love to be walking there.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW WA