April 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    stay away from the bitey end, don't try to jump over them and don't get between their mouth and the water.

That sounds really good running advice. LOL

Congrats on your race! :)

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options

@katharmonic "Mountain Goat" sounds like lots of fun trails and hills!

@_nikkiwolf_ You might think that but there are no trails or mountains or actual goats involved. Just hilly city streets.

Great job getting your long run done after a big day of skiing! Enjoy relaxing on the couch!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @martaindale congratulations on the race! Gators? Oh man, that’s one way to motivate a pr!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Hogeye Marathon yesterday. Was not good, but I finished (that is all I really wanted anyway).

Slow time was a result of several factors. Shortly before the half-way mark, I started experiencing calf cramps. I had some Hot Shot drink and some Ultima electrolyte powder, which solved that fairly quickly. However, somewhere around mile 16 (more or less), I started feeling severe nausea and it only got worse. I ended up stopping for several minutes at a bathroom and only vomited a little bit... still felt pretty bad. I ended up walking a significant amount of the last 8 miles. I normally run fasted, but with my gallbladder removal last month, I had not considered how slowly digestion of large quantities of fat could be. I ate a package of beef sausage sticks on Fri. night while driving to the race. Much of that was still in my stomach while running, as I could start to taste it again when I was nauseatd. You can see how things really went badly towards the end as my last 6 miles pace shows I was walking about all of it.

a7d3d3c3f7f25ac4741700519941eb6c.png

Anyway, despite the slow time, I finished... so I call that a success. (Whoever was it that said, "You either win or you learn" ?)

exercise.png

Woof, way to finish a tough race!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Hogeye Marathon yesterday. Was not good, but I finished (that is all I really wanted anyway).

Slow time was a result of several factors. Shortly before the half-way mark, I started experiencing calf cramps. I had some Hot Shot drink and some Ultima electrolyte powder, which solved that fairly quickly. However, somewhere around mile 16 (more or less), I started feeling severe nausea and it only got worse. I ended up stopping for several minutes at a bathroom and only vomited a little bit... still felt pretty bad. I ended up walking a significant amount of the last 8 miles. I normally run fasted, but with my gallbladder removal last month, I had not considered how slowly digestion of large quantities of fat could be. I ate a package of beef sausage sticks on Fri. night while driving to the race. Much of that was still in my stomach while running, as I could start to taste it again when I was nauseatd. You can see how things really went badly towards the end as my last 6 miles pace shows I was walking about all of it.

a7d3d3c3f7f25ac4741700519941eb6c.png

Anyway, despite the slow time, I finished... so I call that a success. (Whoever was it that said, "You either win or you learn" ?)

exercise.png

Woof, way to finish a tough race!

I'd say that was a pretty good finish, minus your gall bladder and all.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Dang it Gary! I almost had a clean sweep last week! So close.

mhu73o6ttl9u.png

:smiley::lol::smiley::lol::smiley::lol:

Not only did he take away your sweep, but he did it so fast, he didn't even podium for time spent running!

That is only because he ran on flatter ground! :smiley:
    (not really, he is way faster than I, but shhhhhh :wink: )
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Sorry about the rough race. :( Good work on finishing it despite the issues!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    I still had a cold when i woke up but i went to the race. So i went undertrained and under the weather.
    The race started well. I was definitely sick but i was hanging in around 12:40 and 13:00 but nothing was too horrible or aching. Around mile 12 i started to feel tired. Between 16 and 24 there was a mental battle. I just wanted to sit down. Just for one second. About mile 20 the fever came back with a cough. Hacked up something bloody. The last two miles were neverending. My Garmin showed it was 26.4 miles. Only saw the sag bus once on an out and back.
    I think if i keep training it will be easier next time. A half used to kill me. And most days it's not bad.
    werwbu9ajdnr.jpg
    p8iwgle6n48n.jpg
    04vipardck3m.jpg

Way to go!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 way to tough it out and finish that marathon! I salute you for fighting through.

@mbaker566 great job on your marathon too! Running a marathon while sick is just remarkable. Your pictures look great...you look like you are having fun!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I still had a cold when i woke up but i went to the race. So i went undertrained and under the weather.
    The race started well. I was definitely sick but i was hanging in around 12:40 and 13:00 but nothing was too horrible or aching. Around mile 12 i started to feel tired. Between 16 and 24 there was a mental battle. I just wanted to sit down. Just for one second. About mile 20 the fever came back with a cough. Hacked up something bloody. The last two miles were neverending. My Garmin showed it was 26.4 miles. Only saw the sag bus once on an out and back.
    I think if i keep training it will be easier next time. A half used to kill me. And most days it's not bad.

Umm coughing up blood is not good. You probably better get checked out.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

Umm coughing up blood is not good. You probably better get checked out.

My throat was raw and swollen. No blood today🙂