Time for us Moms! Group

Options

Replies

• AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Just got home from a 29 minutes walked, burnt 176 calories according my HRM, I wanted to go farther but my shoes blew out last night and my friend let me try to pair of shoes she has only worn twice. They started killing my heel. I need a new pair of shoes but this month I have to get the kids ready to go to school, so we will see. I buy one pair of shoes and use them for everything so it is no surprise they are trash, I have had them for 18 months.

Have a great day everyone, get some exercise in and drink your water. :smile:
  • britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't know that exercising with the Hubs is very good for us. He's too competitive, always telling me to do things differently or that I'm not working hard enough. It makes me mad. Like I won't do the jumping jacks on the kettlebell workout because I'm too jiggly and don't like to flop around while jumping. Instead, I do calf raises. But he nags me for not doing them. He also can't admit that i do a good job, or if I do something better than him.

Sorry. We got in a huge fight tonight, so maybe I'm just still pissed from that.

We're learning a new restraint system at work today and tomorrow. I'm not logging it as exercise, but I definitely worked up a sweat learning the moves!

I've been finding it easier to come in under my calories without too much struggle. I think my stomach is shrinking. woot! Cant wait to get on the scale Saturday morning and see if I lost anything. Also, drank a TON of water today!
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I would like to join also. I am the mother of three boys, 10, 6 and 4. My hubbie travels 2 weeks gone, 2 weeks home so obviously it is harder when he is gone to exercise. I work p/t from home and can set own hours so that helps. I joined a gym that has childcare so I sometimes take the little one with me. I love to run and I play soccer with my hubbie. It is fun to play soccer with him but I like running by myself, setting my own pace and listening to music..
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    hello I would love to join your group. I diffinately need to take more time for me. I am a sahm of 7. 4 are now adults so I only have 3 left at home. I also have 4 grandkids and one on the way. So it seems like there is always someone that wants something or needs something. There are days I would like to answer to anything besides MOM. LOL. I only start my weight loss journey about 3 weeks ago. and have been on here almost as long.
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    Kath77 and themommie welcome to the group! :flowerforyou:
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Just got home from a 29 minutes walked, burnt 176 calories according my HRM, I wanted to go farther but my shoes blew out last night and my friend let me try to pair of shoes she has only worn twice. They started killing my heel. I need a new pair of shoes but this month I have to get the kids ready to go to school, so we will see. I buy one pair of shoes and use them for everything so it is no surprise they are trash, I have had them for 18 months.

Amanda - Thanks for the compliments. I used to wear my shoes for everything too and then I finally bought a pair that I just keep under my bed to wear when we do our videos in our room. They don't go outside, so they don't dirty my carpet. I'm frugal, so I try and find nice shoes like New Balance at Ross or Kohl's on sale and with a coupon. I try not to spend over $30 for a pair of shoes, but my feet don't really have any problems either. I understand about trying to get kids ready for school, kind of takes the money out of the budget for other things.
  • BOGmama2010
    Options
    British - I am the competitive one and I have always hated working out in front of people, so I wasn't sure how this would work. My hubby has tried to correct my form, etc. a couple of times and sometimes I just have to tell him that I am trying my best. I have to remember to thank him for trying to help me so that we don't get in a tiff as well. However, we are trying to push ourselves so hard that we barely pay attention to what the other one is doing. LOL Tell your husband to work harder and focus on what he's doing and that you are trying your best. Then thank him because maybe he is just concerned about your form and you getting injured. If you are Christian, we always get on our knees and pray first before we workout. A great way to start our day and gets us connected on another level.

Kath - welcome! I used to love taking my boys to the Y until I couldn't afford it anymore. Free daycare while working out is great.

Themommie - LOL at not wanting to answer to MOM. I feel that way as I listen to my twins argue right now. What type of exercise are you planning on doing?

Did P90X Legs and Back yesterday morning and then spent 4 hours at a zoo/park with some friends. Did Insane Cardio Abs at night. Woke up this morning, sore! Oh my glutes. We did Kenpo though this morning and now are done with our workouts for week 6. Whew! Been doing this for 131 days. Feels so great.
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Amanda - Thanks for the compliments. I used to wear my shoes for everything too and then I finally bought a pair that I just keep under my bed to wear when we do our videos in our room. They don't go outside, so they don't dirty my carpet. I'm frugal, so I try and find nice shoes like New Balance at Ross or Kohl's on sale and with a coupon. I try not to spend over $30 for a pair of shoes, but my feet don't really have any problems either. I understand about trying to get kids ready for school, kind of takes the money out of the budget for other things.

I use my good shoes to run and an older pair of running shoes for everything else. I took too long before buying my latest pair and ended up at the doctor's with capulitis of the second toe. She said it was caused from worn out shoes and my toe lying farther down than the others so from now on I am not taking chances of wearing old shoes. I asked for my new pair for my birthday and next pair will be for christmas!
  • britishstar41
    Options
    You go, BOG! I'm excited to take the baby to the zoo for the first time this weekend! Should be awesome.

Welcome to the new ladies! You'll love it here. The first step of the journey is finding a place that will help and support you. None of us are perfect, and we all fall, but we can help each other get back up in tough times. :o)

Okay, let me get some feedback... I've been staying under my calories, but I've been eating some crap. For example, today I had a Starbucks (nonfat chai) AND a cream filled doughnut! (with chocolate frosting) I still came in under my calories, though just barely. I understand the point of this is to learn healthier eating habits and to eat less calories, but as long as I'm under the goal, can't I have junk sometimes? It's not every day, but enough to make me think it's a problem.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia , chronic fatigue syndrome and thyroid problems so it is hard for me to do strenuous exercise so I have been doing swimming and walking I hope to be able to do more and more as I stick with it and add other forms of exercise also. Do any of you know of a dvd workout I could do that is very easy and easy on the joints ?
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    You go, BOG! I'm excited to take the baby to the zoo for the first time this weekend! Should be awesome.

Welcome to the new ladies! You'll love it here. The first step of the journey is finding a place that will help and support you. None of us are perfect, and we all fall, but we can help each other get back up in tough times. :o)

Okay, let me get some feedback... I've been staying under my calories, but I've been eating some crap. For example, today I had a Starbucks (nonfat chai) AND a cream filled doughnut! (with chocolate frosting) I still came in under my calories, though just barely. I understand the point of this is to learn healthier eating habits and to eat less calories, but as long as I'm under the goal, can't I have junk sometimes? It's not every day, but enough to make me think it's a problem.

I think it is fine, I still drink a Coke everyday and am still under my calories. I losted almost all of my weight two years ago and deprived myself of everything that I wanted. Everyday was a struggle and in the end I quit and binged day after day after day. This time I am allowing myself what I want to eat in moderation. A Coke a day for me is moderation, I was a six pack drinker a month ago. That is my 2 cents on this. Of course the goal is healthy nutritious food for a variety of good reasons but I think we all need a treat once in awhile.
  • AmandaJ
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia , chronic fatigue syndrome and thyroid problems so it is hard for me to do strenuous exercise so I have been doing swimming and walking I hope to be able to do more and more as I stick with it and add other forms of exercise also. Do any of you know of a dvd workout I could do that is very easy and easy on the joints ?

I have heard good things about Walk About the Pounds dvd. I have not used it myself.
  • BOGmama2010
    Options
    British - oh have fun at the zoo. The first time I took my youngest he was about 12 months and didn't really enjoy it. A few months ago I took him though and he really liked it, could name some animals, etc. Too bad it is so far away from us.

Well, here is my take on it. Our bodies are like a car and need the right fuel. A treat (like for a birthday) is ok, it's not an everyday thing. But, I would try not to have more than 1 junk thing on a particular day. I was an avid Caffeine Free Diet Coke drinker when I was young and truly, water is the best thing for you. The carbonation in the sodas can leach calcium out of your bones. And the high sugar in processed foods can impair your immune system for hours afterward. That being said, I too have gone the path of trying to eat as healthy as I could and lost the weight and then started binging on sweets again. Even Jillian Michaels says that she eats a piece of dark chocolate every day and figures it into her calories. But, it's a piece. If you need it, then moderation is the key. I will say that one thing that has helped me immensely is making sure that I eat enough protein. When I have that in my system (I eat 40% of my calories as protein), my sweet tooth disappears.

Themommie - I really am a fan of the DVDs that Beachbody sells. Slim in 6 is a great DVD set that is low impact, but many people have had great results with it. Some have lost up to 25 lbs in 6 weeks! You can check it out here:
    https://extranet.securefreedom.com/MillionDollarBody/csShopping/ShoppingCart_Detail.asp?PriceID=176835&Cat=Fitness Program|Slim%20in%206 - if that link doesn't work let me know.

Amanda - definitely get new shoes! Great job asking for them for your birthday - we used to get my dad a pair for Christmas and his birthday. Made shopping easy. :o)

Today is my rest day, and I so look forward to it. We sleep in, go to church, and just relax during the afternoon. We'll be back at it early tomorrow morning though! We're starting a workout group in WOWY too, so if any of you would like to come join us at 7 am you can. It's free to sign up (teambeachbody.com/superayla) and you can enter your workouts in and have a chance to win $300 a day.
  • britishstar41
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I dont eat junk every day, and I try to get as much healthy protein and carbs as I can. The doughnuts were two days in a row, but I hadn't had junk before that in a while. I blame our recent training. They had a snack table of muffins and doughnuts to get us started in the morning and I gave in when my 2pm snack hunger struck. But now it's over, so I"m back on track.

Heading up to Salt Lake City tomorrow morning to see my best friend who will be in town on business (that's also our closest zoo, which is why we're incorporating it). I'm hoping the walking around the zoo will help balance out the calories I know I'll get from the Mexican restaurant tomorrow night :o)

Have a great start to the week! Talk to you guys on Tuesday.
  • BOGmama2010
    Options
    Have a great time British! Just remember, take what you want, but want what you take at the restaurant. You don't have to finish all of it either. Zoos are great because I find that most of them are hilly and so I really have to work my legs and glutes pushing the stroller up. Talk to you on Tuesday!
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    Hey ladies, mind if I join you? I've got 5 kids (twin boys that will be 8 next month, a 5 year old daughter, and 3 year old boy/girl twins). Hubby stays home with the kids and I work full time while going to school to finish up my accounting degree.

I definitely do better getting my workout over early in the day - usually I'm up about 4:30 for a walk or bike ride. I do strength training at night. Hubby and I are both trying to lose weight, and we alternate schedules. I do cardio in the morning and strength training at night, he does the opposite.

We just got back from a nice bike ride. My 3 boys are staying at grandma's for the night, so we hooked up the bike trailer and hit the trails. Hauling 90 pounds in kid weight and a bike trailer made for a serious workout - I think I can skip the leg strength training tonight :laugh:

I'm looking forward to some cooler weather - hard to get out and workout when it's close to 100.

Hope you're all having a great weekend!
  • BOGmama2010
    Options
    Awesome job, C! Welcome. I have twin boys as well who will be 9. I just joked with my hubby that I could see us having another set of twins if we ever got prego again. Don't know how you do it, but kudos! I am a bookkeeper, so I am totally interested in accounting. How much longer do you have?

Sounds like you and your husband have a great system going on. Look forward to getting to know you better.

Lisa
  • CGerman
    Options
    Lisa-

I've got a long way to go on my degree, I joke with my family I'm a late bloomer. I've been working in the field for 10+ years and finally decided the extra money would make going back to school worth it. Especially since my employer has agreed to reimburse my tuition for any classes I get a B or better in.

I'd like to say the second set was easier, but that just didn't happen! I knew what to expect but their personalities were so much different is wasn't at all the same. My first set was really laid back - not so much with the second set!! I wouldn't trade it though, hectic as it may be there's always some excitement around my house!:laugh:
  • BOGmama2010
    Options
    C - that is awesome about your employer. Mine jokes every once in a while that I would have had to go to Heald to get this type of experience (I've been working for him for 4 years) so I just joke back that I can then take all of the work that I have done and put it in my portfolio, leaving him with none of it! Ya know, my first set is laidback too and I swear the 2 year old is more work than the twins were, in his own way. I could imagine another set just throwing a whole monkey wrench in knowing what to expect!

Anyone interested in posting one challenge that we are going to be trying to conquer this upcoming week?

I haven't been doing too well at mine the past 2 days. I really need to get better about packing enough food for me to eat. Yesterday, I packed a yogurt to have at church during potluck (which barely would have been enough) and hubby fed it to the 2 year old. So, I went from about 8:45 am to 2 pm without eating. Today, I tried to do better. I left for work at 10:30 am and didn't get home until 5:30 pm. In that time, I had 32 oz of water, a protein shake and 50 raisins and a tsp of peanut butter. Not much and I still have a lot of food left to eat. We are going to be going to amusement parks this week and a baseball game and I know I need to do better! I would rather go hungry than eat something that is not on my planned eating for the day. Hopefully with hubby home this week I can focus a little more on getting the things that need to be cooked prepared ahead of time.

Have a great evening!
  • CGerman
    Options
    I think a challenge is a great idea. We could alternate between diet/fitness on alternating weeks. Staying within range for a category (sodium, carbs, etc). Maybe distance or total workout times for fitness challenges? I tend to do a little better when I've got something extra to shoot for (other than watching my calories and trying to exercise)