What's a food you're currently obsessed with?

Options

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    Flake salt.

I never knew a crunchy salt could make such a difference.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Flake salt.

I too could be in that camp! Finishing salts are SOOO underrated. I can't live without them:)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Flake salt.

Yes!! My favorite is truffle sea salt flakes. So good on everything.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Flake salt.

Yes!! My favorite is truffle sea salt flakes. So good on everything.

Oh wow! I love truffle salt, but truffle flakes?!!! Got to find some!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    brie cheese lol
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited May 2023
    Options
    brie cheese lol

Omg you are alive!!! :D Where have you been?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,894 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    In my neck of the woods it's garlic scapes, asparagus and rhubarb that are now available. Made a gremolada, a pesto and a chimichurri with garlic scapes. Made asparagus flans and asparagus soup, and made a sorbet from the rhubarb. Cheers.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Ooh rhubarb sorbet sounds intriguing!

But…asparagus flan? As in, like, custardy flan?
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Garden salads from Publix here in Florida- I get them made without scallions,they usually make them with. They are crisp and delightful yet filling!

Still on bean and legumes kick too.
  • neanderthin
    edited May 2023
    Options

Yeah, exactly. Basically I blanch some (6) asparagus cut into 1" lengths then in an ice bath, remove after cooled. The blanching is fairly quick not to allow the asparagus to take on too much water which is important when it comes to the ratios that allow the custard to set, too much water and it won't which also means don't leave them in the water after they've chilled. These spears would be medium sized and about 2 minutes for a blanch for example. After it's chilled, remove to a towel and dry. Done.

For say, 6 ramekins I use 2 whole large eggs and 4 to 5 yolks with 4 ounces of grated parmigiana reggiano that I add to the eggs a little salt and with a handful of baby spinach to reinforce the color which I find a little too bleached out from the eggs and cheese and the spinach adds the green color without adding or taking away from the asparagus flavor.

I put all this is a vitamix and blend on high for a couple of minutes, remove and allow to settle to reduce the aeration that would collapse if just poured into ramekins quickly after, just remember to stir before you proceed to filling the ramekins. Put in a pan that will hold the ramekins and fill halfway with hot water, cover with aluminum foil and in a 325 oven cook for about 40 minutes, turning halfway. I garnish with spears and micro greens and actually a julienne of the white part of ramps in an olive oil and lemon dressing with parm shavings. A little maldon sea salt and fresh pepper. cheers

Edit: I forgot to say you need to butter or olive oil pam the ramekins before you fill. also allow to cool in the ramekins. They can be served cold or hot, unmolding is as simple as running a knife or offset small spatula around the perimeter and easily releases.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    Wheat thins. Such a perfect combo of sweet and salty.
  • springlering62
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Jordan’s caramel “skinny sauce” on frothed milk in coffee. The “sauce” is thicker than the syrups, and I know it’s artificial but it’s such an appetizing liquid golden color.

The chocolate expresso is great on the homemade ice cream.

Hoping they introduce more flavors.

j5s0okz1zu9t.jpeg
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    These new italian seasoned banana peppers.
    wgeflz880upt.png
  • neanderthin
    edited May 2023
    Options

Yeah, exactly. Basically I blanch some (6) asparagus cut into 1" lengths then in an ice bath, remove after cooled. The blanching is fairly quick not to allow the asparagus to take on too much water which is important when it comes to the ratios that allow the custard to set, too much water and it won't which also means don't leave them in the water after they've chilled. These spears would be medium sized and about 2 minutes for a blanch for example. After it's chilled, remove to a towel and dry. Done.

For say, 6 ramekins I use 2 whole large eggs and 4 to 5 yolks with 4 ounces of grated parmigiana reggiano that I add to the eggs a little salt and with a handful of baby spinach to reinforce the color which I find a little too bleached out from the eggs and cheese and the spinach adds the green color without adding or taking away from the asparagus flavor.

I put all this is a vitamix and blend on high for a couple of minutes, remove and allow to settle to reduce the aeration that would collapse if just poured into ramekins quickly after, just remember to stir before you proceed to filling the ramekins. Put in a pan that will hold the ramekins and fill halfway with hot water, cover with aluminum foil and in a 325 oven cook for about 40 minutes, turning halfway. I garnish with spears and micro greens and actually a julienne of the white part of ramps in an olive oil and lemon dressing with parm shavings. A little maldon sea salt and fresh pepper. cheers

Edit: I forgot to say you need to butter or olive oil pam the ramekins before you fill. also allow to cool in the ramekins. They can be served cold or hot, unmolding is as simple as running a knife or offset small spatula around the perimeter and easily releases.

Just in case someone was going to try this recipe. I forgot to mention that there's 1.5 cups of milk blended with the eggs, kinda important lol. cheers.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    Fitjoy GF vegan honey dijon pretzels. They are just sooooo good with a heavy coating. I actually prefer the texture of vegan pretzels to regular. I've tried their others flavors and they are all good, but these are the best! Been eating these daily.

dgwkv4mfwebo.png

f75u9d48s9b0.jpg

• PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    These new italian seasoned banana peppers.
    wgeflz880upt.png

I must find these!
  • springlering62
    Options
    Fitjoy GF vegan honey dijon pretzels. They are just sooooo good with a heavy coating. I actually prefer the texture of vegan pretzels to regular. I've tried their others flavors and they are all good, but these are the best! Been eating these daily.

dgwkv4mfwebo.png

f75u9d48s9b0.jpg

We had these on our Delta flight this weekend! They were really good so I was looking at the packaging to see if I could buy them in stores and was stunned they were gluten free. Usually GF tends to be a bit …sad. At least IMHO
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Since having dental work. Gum grafting I can hardly eat. However I have been loving my broccoli mash, chickpea mash and wil be making canelli.mash.
    Tonight is tofu. I also discovered a new yogurt that is DIVINE!
    4exq6hor6e7g.jpg
    47ixx6nkwc4f.jpg