Favorite Light ice creams?

Options
123457»

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I'll have to try a different Grocery Outlet to see if the good flavors are there. The Trader Joe's yogurt bars sound good! I'll let you try them first!

I didn't like Halo Top peanut butter cup very much, I think it's because I like chopped with my peanut butter. The iced coffee pops sound good!

I've decided Enlightened sucks at it's marshmallow flavoring. I LOVE sweetness, I used to eat double-filled oreos, would finish icing when other people leave it behind on a piece of cake, and don't know what people are talking about when they something is too rich dessert-wise. I grew up on diet soda, I'm ok with artificial flavors. Smores is the worst Enlightened flavor I've had, I tossed it. Frozen Hot Cocoa had great chocolate, but the marshmallow was gross. I'd probably get it again for the chocolate or go with Triple Chocolate instead. I'm still curious but skeptical about trying marshmallow peanut butter if I get the chance. It's not that the marshmallow is too sweet, it's just a weird flavor. Cherry chocolate chip was pretty good.

I didn't care for the Smores flavor either. Triple chocolate is still my favorite.

I don't remember which thread this was on, but we figured out that the old marshmallow PB flavor is better (and lower calorie) than the new one. If you see one that's 400 calories, it's the new recipe and people didn't like it as much.

I thought Halo Top peanut butter cup was meh, but I feel that way about most Halo Top.
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My favourite is Oppo Colombian chocolate. Not sure if worldwide but found in the UK. I just googled low fat ice cream (couldn’t remember the name of my fave) and it seems some UK supermarkets are now doing their own versions as well. Salted caramel seems to be the most common
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,586 Member
    Options
    My favourite is Oppo Colombian chocolate. Not sure if worldwide but found in the UK. I just googled low fat ice cream (couldn’t remember the name of my fave) and it seems some UK supermarkets are now doing their own versions as well. Salted caramel seems to be the most common

That sounds really good, I love chocolate! I'll keep an eye out for it but don't think we have it. Salted caramel and caramel-flavored is a favorite of mine too.
  • alexastoutxo
    alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Grocery Outlet is down to 3 flavors, French Toast which I have no desire to buy, Caramel Oatmeal Cookie, and Black Cherry Chip. I went there to buy a blueberry brush only but picked up two Black Cherry Chips. I was hoping to get all the Salted Caramel but some evil person bought all of it so I'll have to use my coupon at Safeway (twice now when buying Enlightened there I've received cashier $1 off coupons, better than full price!) Getting good flavors discounted is pretty fun!

I love their french toast flavor! It wasnt too overpowering and had a nice cinnamon/maple flavor with maple swirls. cherry choc chip and caramel crunch is good too but you need to try their movie night and butterpecan! Loved those two so much
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,516 Member
    Options
    So delicious lemon
  • ekboh
    ekboh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The Aldi brand of Halo Top style ice cream is called Sundae Shoppe and it's awesome. I kind of prefer it over other brands! My husband loves the mint chip flavor. I really like the vanilla and chocolate but the chocolate chip cookie dough and peanut butter cup are decent too. And like $2.49 each.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,586 Member
    Options
    ekboh wrote: »
    The Aldi brand of Halo Top style ice cream is called Sundae Shoppe and it's awesome. I kind of prefer it over other brands! My husband loves the mint chip flavor. I really like the vanilla and chocolate but the chocolate chip cookie dough and peanut butter cup are decent too. And like $2.49 each.

Argh, don't have an Aldi's!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Wish we had an Aldi-
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    Chocolate sorbet is fat free and pretty easy to make. If you use the tray method (no ice cream maker) use the largest tray that fits in the freezer to minimize spillage risk when transferring liquid into the freezer. A shallow quantity of chocolate mixture in a larger tray also freezes more quickly.
    https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/dark-chocolate-sorbet-recipe
    y4ysaa5a04oo.jpeg

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Yellerie wrote: »
    Just a warning about the chilly cow site locator it is not very accurate at all. The store I buy it at & the flavor I buy it claims aren't available near me. But my freezer disagrees lol

Agreed! The stores near me ALL sell Chilly Cow, but their website locator lists ten Walmart stores and that's it.

I tried it for the first time yesterday (Espresso mocha swirl) and I'm SOLD...I like Halo Top okay, but Chilly Cow is 10X better in my opinion.

Hate Arctic Zero!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    frozen strawberries / blue berries / raspberries, good quality yoghurt, food processor. Add some lemon zest. Always freshly made, available 24 hours a day, by far the cheapest option. Calories? + - 150 calories per small bowl. Delicious!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Chocolate sorbet is fat free and pretty easy to make. If you use the tray method (no ice cream maker) use the largest tray that fits in the freezer to minimize spillage risk when transferring liquid into the freezer. A shallow quantity of chocolate mixture in a larger tray also freezes more quickly.
    https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/dark-chocolate-sorbet-recipe
    y4ysaa5a04oo.jpeg

I agree that it is really easy to make. The recipe that you posted is also not what I would consider a "low calorie" ice cream as written. It's about 250 calories per half cup according to the website, which puts it on par with some of the highest calorie ice creams on the market.