Less Alcohol - June 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I'm in for June! I did well a few months back moderating but then I slipped right back in to the cycle. I only had a couple of AF days in May, definitely not enough. I haven't been working out and I've just been feeling blah, not enjoying anything. We have a family vacation coming up in July that I want to get back in shape for (lots of hiking) and have more energy for. One thing I'm worried about is my thyroid has been a little swollen and I don't know what that means but doing some research it could be partially responsible for my mood and sluggishness. I thought that was all due to the alcohol so going AF for a couple weeks before my doctors appointment later this month will give me a better idea of any uncertain causes/effects. I had planned to start June 1st but I still had rum and beer throughout the weekend so I'm starting today!
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    @globalhiker I am still reading my AE book, but when I started over the second time, I read up for a couple of days, then stopped thinking I'd start over reading when I started Day 1 again. I did that...…..but it didn't have the same impact. So, now I'm on my third Day 1 and will just continue reading the book from where I left off. I have gained so much from the AE. I also find that the emails/videos duplicate the book quit a bit. Maybe it takes a few times of hearing it to get it lol.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    Options
    Tuesday morning words to live by:ow0qsqgj0lkj.jpg
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,556 Member
    Options

I am going to set my June goals for 4-5 AF days per week. I tried 5 AF days per week in May, but didn't quite get there.
    May was 18 AF days for me, would have been more, but the warm weather and sweating it out in the garden led to some rum punches, as did being away. It might be challenging during the summer months, but I am going to try to have some discipline.

June 01 - AF - going out of town in the morning, kind of expect to have a few drinks Sunday.
    June 02 - 1/2 bottle of red wine
    June 03 - 3 drinks - 2 days in a row, such a no-no. Definitely don't want to drift back into daily drinks, I will have to get a handle on it.

Running tally - 1AF day out of 3 days so far
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    @mckinlau congratulations on 11 AF days in May!!!
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Just read an article in a health magazine yesterday...This is just part of it. "Your body sees alcohol as a poison and literally stops all other metabolic processes in rider to remediate and eliminate that alcohol-including fat metabolism..." I enjoy wine...too much but articles like this really make me think...
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    @globalhiker I am still reading my AE book, but when I started over the second time, I read up for a couple of days, then stopped thinking I'd start over reading when I started Day 1 again. I did that...…..but it didn't have the same impact. So, now I'm on my third Day 1 and will just continue reading the book from where I left off. I have gained so much from the AE. I also find that the emails/videos duplicate the book quit a bit. Maybe it takes a few times of hearing it to get it lol.

Hi there! That's really good. I am finding the online Alcohol Experiment site more effective for me compared to reading. Maybe I have attention deficit....but by hearing & seeing the videos, the message seems to sink in better. It also requires me to answer daily questions, so by taking in the info various ways, it helps for the key points to stick.
  • mckinlau
    mckinlau Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have any of you noticed the difference in my two goals I set for myself?
    My first goal I said I was going to be AF for the month of June. Well June first I had one beer.....
    So then, without realizing it myself, my next goal I stated was AF Mon - Thur...…...hummm…..how the mind works. So much to learn. I really want to be AF with the occasional drink...…...but not sure I will be able to do that. So like the ol group says, one day at a time.

My June goal will be AF Mon -Thurs. (sticking with this :)

June 1 goal 0 / actual 1 beer
    June 2 goal 0 / actual 5 beers
    June 3 goal 0 / actual 2 beers. I found today easier. It was almost like I was battling myself TO have the beer. I knew it was in the fridge, that first feeling of coming home with the beautiful sun shining. I was feeling ok without it. I think today will be even easier and I will be AF today.
    June 4 goal 0 / actual
    June 5 goal 0 / actual
    June 6 goal 0 / actual
    June 7 goal....? / actual
    June 8 goal 4 / actual...

@Womona Kudos on getting that food scale out! Over my many years of "dieting" I have used it pretty often and feel I have a good handle on it. I brought it out again several times since doing MFP logging. Once I drop probably another 20 / 30 I will need to narrow down my calories and improve on measurements.

I did pretty much the same but have been telling myself “at least” M-Th so the brain hopefully doesn’t claim the entire weekend as a free for all.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Just read an article in a health magazine yesterday...This is just part of it. "Your body sees alcohol as a poison and literally stops all other metabolic processes in rider to remediate and eliminate that alcohol-including fat metabolism..." I enjoy wine...too much but articles like this really make me think...

I am glad you mentioned this because it 100% definitely is a poison with some flavoring and coloring that clouds our thinking - plus the fact alcohol causes cancer (even in smaller amounts)...yet people like myself have been playing the odds, gambling with this....for example, well I run every day or I eat healthy or I take folate (or any of the many reported anti-cancer type of vitamin or supplement). Can't I just "cancel out" the bad effects by doing some good lifestyle changes and get away with it?..........Well here I find myself, health guru, supplement queen, serial runner, well past 50, awaiting biopsy results. This is a dangerous game. Not worth it.

• dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    I am going to set my June goals for 4-5 AF days per week. I tried 5 AF days per week in May, but didn't quite get there.
    May was 18 AF days for me, would have been more, but the warm weather and sweating it out in the garden led to some rum punches, as did being away. It might be challenging during the summer months, but I am going to try to have some discipline.

June 01 - AF - going out of town in the morning, kind of expect to have a few drinks Sunday.
    June 03 - 3 drinks - 2 days in a row, such a no-no. Definitely don't want to drift back into daily drinks, I will have to get a handle on it.
    June 04 - AF - It was a bit of a struggle to do AF after 2 days in a row of drinks.

Running tally - 2AF day out of 4 days so far
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I’m cutting down this month too! But it’s hard we have had a very social start to the month. It’s easier during the week. My core motivation is weight loss.

June 01 - BBQ w friends wine (3 glasses)
    June 02 - bbq with brother wine (3 glasses)
    June 03 - bbq with friends - wine (too much wine!)
    June 04 - AF (slept so well)
    June 05 -
    June 06 -
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options

June 04 - AF - It was a bit of a struggle to do AF after 2 days in a row of drinks.
    June 05 - AF - sort of reluctantly, but I know that the scale won't move unless I do AF days.

Running tally - 3AF day out of 5 days so far