WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2019

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,830 Member
    Options
    Home and relaxing.. DD taking me out for brunch at a vegetarian restaurant tomorrow, so this afternoon and evening just gonna chill after feeding DFIL
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,744 Member
    Options
    jlonuwvpoa6u.jpeg
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,976 Member
    Options
    Lanette - Her take would be to be in the moment and see the reality of the situation. Not to catastrophize. Not to be blindly positive. She would say it's important to feel our feelings and listen to them. They are the best indicator of what we need to do in a given situation. Then you need to take action to improve the situation and be good to yourself. Being compassionate to ourselves is important, but so many of us ignore the messages we are getting from our feelings. We must distinguish between what is real and what is just fruitless anxiety. But it's ok to be human.

For me....
    The minute I feel uncomfortable about a person or a situation I take notice. I don't let things ride and get out of hand. Listen to your feedback. The absence of feedback is feedback.
    Clarity of vision is what I aim for, not telling myself stories. But I have many times experienced the power of changing my negative thoughts into something more positive. Retreating from life in a negative slump is useless. Reaching out, taking a risk, going forward, acting as if - all this can work wonders as long as you don't kid yourself.
    When I was in my forties I spent four years belonging to a 'Personal Growth' organisation. There were a few woo woo elements to it, but generally its feet were on the ground. I experienced many examples of what can be achieved with a change of attitude, when you take the risk. It was a very worth while four years, but it did not inure me to sad feelings etc. Nor would they want it to.
    Today, for now, I am generally very happy. I am not complacent about that. Anything could happen at any time. But, like Lisa's mum, I will do what I can to change the situation and then, I hope I can let go.
    The thing is, we have much more choice than we think, we just need to think outside the prison we have confined ourself in.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Heather[/] very well stated!

RV Rita in New Mexico
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,976 Member
    Options
    Working rental office at the beach today sells no water, shirts, ice, and park passes. Really slow today. They opened an aquatic park in town today so that’s taking our business. Teenage lifeguards today nothing like the ‘old’ days! Wimps!!

Here’s pic of beach today.
    RV Rita in New Mexico
  • pipcd34
    Options
    zunxhkcz9cif.jpeg
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Allie! Happy Birthday, and many more healthy and reasonably happy ones!

DrKatiebug, online you can usually purchase a "sampler pack" or "variety pack". The proteins I used were bought from Bariatric Advqntage". I believe they carry other types than whey, though. You don't have to be a bariatric patient to "shop" their online store.

Allie, if you can't vent here, where can you vent? Thank goodness for doggies, kitties and tea!

Amber, thank you for your window into your child's activities and sayings! One day when my eldest was 1-1/2 I grabbed her and my husband's lunch to drive into town. I had the truck that day and I'd forgotten his lunch. Truck wouldn't start. I beat the steering wheel with my hand. "DAMN, Daamn, Damn!"" Came the small echo "damn damn damn". I learned to be a BIT more careful. I still have an awful potty mouth sometimes.

Margaret, I DO enjoy Rumi! I don't always agree, but the words pour into my mind like smoothly running cool water. I’m so glad to hear your son will be able to go home next week! I’ll bet you’ve enjoyed the times when he’s been able to respond. Providing food goodies is well worth the joy it sparks in you. By the way, the paintings are gorgeous - and the peonies! Wow!

Julie Bananas, "especially for young girls"! That's the part that saddened me the most, I think. While the threat is over-hyped, there is still a threat. I biked, walked and bussed everywhere between my suburb and downtown Columbus OH by age 10. I never had anyone accost or threaten me. Usually girls traveled in twos, not for safety, but because girls, after all. But I went alone to my orthodontist appointments. My granddaughters never had freedom even in Oak Harbor WA. They did report being accosted and even followed at age 14 or 15 when they could take the local bus downtown and back.

Lisa in AR and Viv in UK, so right about the "mixed bag"! I think it's a bit like a "set point". My set point, if mood were on a ten point scale from 0=despair to 10=ecstatic would be about an 8. I'm assuming average is 5, but then I can't see a number above everyone's head, so what do I know? (Wouldn’t that be interesting!) However, in the course of a day i have experienced the whole gamut. Left to myself, I drop right back at 8. I think years of counseling and wise friends helped me stabilize there. I was in real danger of a permanent 3 at one time.

Karen in VA, I love what you said about your mom's outlook. She knew the secret, alright.

Heather in U.K., it sounds as if you are also a realist. I had to put myself into places where the home, the partner, the experience were available and start looking for things that seemed to fit. The search was fun, but sometimes daunting. And I knew when the shoe doesn’t fit, don’t force it. Blisters WILL happen. Speaking of which, I’m right in your court when it comes to watching or following sports. I DO watch the Super Bowl with friends who are usually annoyed then amused when I root for both teams in outstanding plays. 🙄

Debby in VA, hope your Radar pulls through ok. Heat is so dangerous, even when you’re as well-prepared as you are!

Katla in OR! I hope you're headed somewhere beautiful besides being firework free. WA is insane with their fireworks laws. I live the community overhead displays, though. We get hit on New Year's as well as the "glorious" 4th!

Rita in NM, the waterpark here near Seattle is HUGE, and an amusement park as well. It's very pricey, people go once or twice a year. Lots of lakes and public pools are very busy here when it even approaches 80°. If it's cold you can always wear more clothes and blankets. If it's hot, once you're down to skin air (a fan or 2) or water (a pool or mist bottle) are all that's left. I go the pool route. Sometimes I Bob around for hours. Ours here is smallish but big enough for our crowd. The shallower kiddie and raft pool is larger, and a bit cooler. If it's really hot I go over there and lay down in it for a while.

The temperature now is a just-right 71°F. , About 22°c, I think.

Sharon Near Seattle
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Enjoying reading the posts. Just checked and it is 95 right now. Worked in my flower/weed bed this morning until the sun caught up with me. My new pup can’t take the heat as he is a big ball of fur so he stays inside except for early mornings on the screened in patio.
    Happy Birthday Allie. I was thinking the office manager must be going bonkers if you worked 80 hours in a week. It would be a nice paycheck. Lol
    Kim in CA - so pleased for you. You deserve the raise and the insurance.
    Kelly- I agree, I wish my kids would’ve been in your day care. They were lucky if they learned anything except socialization.
    SueBDew in TX
  • pipcd34
    Options
    odr7f7zrecln.jpeg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,830 Member
    Options
    Pip- Bullwinkle what a cutie...
    Got a dinner invite and to watch the fireworks tonight upstairs with friends.always nice impromptu plans
  • pipcd34
    Options
    nookg0use7et.jpeg
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    June Goals

Health
    ]1. Track all yes, unless I forgot some
    2. Lose at least a kilo (2.2 lbs) no average weight over past week down 0,5 kilo compared to last month
    4. Average 1100 calories net no, average tracked 1250
    5. At least 30 min exercise 6 days a week
    6. Five minutes meditation 5 days a week some days
    7. Write what I'm grateful for here daily

Long term writing
    8a.Spend at least 2h/day on long term writing project average yes
    8b.produce at least 2 pages per day average yes
    8c. Send 26 pages to correctors by June 10 yes
    8d. 76 pages sent off by the post by June 17th yes

Home
    9. Average at least 15 min/day of cleaning

Paper
    11. Average at least 5 min/day of filing occasionally
    11a. Take care of at least 3 short term (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill per week. some
    11b. Make a list of short term tasks, etc and prioritise them, and do them. yes, yes, some

Art
    12. do 5 min of artwork or music/day sketching some days

Remaining from May to do in first week of June: Make appointment with dentist wrote to dentist 1. dentist 2 no and acupuncturist no
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @trucker743 Sharon 8 sounds like a great set point

has anyone watched any of the women's soccer matches?

I had never watched any but it was a thing here. apparently usa has the hands down best women's soccer team.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

spin bike- 38min, 75ar, 103aw, 138ahr, 158mhr, 9.3mi= 366c
    Apple Watch- 404c
    outside walk-36.09min, 17.42min mi, 102mhr, 1.67mi=150c
    Apple Watch- 158c

total cal 516
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Not sure if Texas allows CBD oil or not?
    Amber TX

How good is it for pain management for older men?
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Allie - Happy Birthday!! 🎂

@LisaInAR those gladiola are beautiful!! My mom has some pretty yellow ones!

Crazy hot and humid here. 90+ and makes my hair curl. I didn’t even try to straighten it last night.

My daughter is asking If we are going to the gym. Guess it’s time to change clothes

Connie in KY