Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 8,521Member Member Posts: 8,521Member Member
    chelleedub wrote: »
    Fois gras. I'm a hard no.

Why?
  • ReenieHJReenieHJ Posts: 1,249Member Member Posts: 1,249Member Member
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    Just got caught up on the whole food vs "non food" food thing. Which brings me to one polarizing question of which we should probably be debating about by now.
    Cake or Death?

Apologies in advance, I know this specific comment was posted months ago, but I'm only reading the thread now: I <3 Eddie! :)

Regarding the OP, I have no opinion on those cookies because I never had them, but I'd be willing to try them at least once.

As far as "polarizing foods" go, my take has always been "like it or leave it". We don't all have to like the same things, and it all comes down to personal preferences. :)

If you have Death by Chocolate, you can have your cake and eat it too. :)
  • SuzySunshine99SuzySunshine99 Posts: 1,346Member Member Posts: 1,346Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Why?

I can't answer for the poster, but some people find the process of producing the fois gras to be particularly inhumane. Even a lot of people who normally eat animal products find this a bit too far on the cruelty side.
  • ladyreva78ladyreva78 Posts: 4,097Member Member Posts: 4,097Member Member

Why?

I can't answer for the poster, but some people find the process of producing the fois gras to be particularly inhumane. Even a lot of people who normally eat animal products find this a bit too far on the cruelty side.

That's pretty much my reason for avoiding fois gras.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 14,253Member Member Posts: 14,253Member Member

Why?

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression from another post that the poster's a vegetarian. That tends to make fois gras kind of a hard no, no matter what other sensitivities may enter into it. ;)
  • paperpuddingpaperpudding Posts: 5,521Member Member Posts: 5,521Member Member
    it is banned in several countries because of the cruelty involved in force feeding.

I dont eat liver anyway so already a No from me - but would be a double no on account of that.

Why?

But eggs from caged hens are ok? Ditto broiler chickens? Same thing. Bred and fed for one purpose only.

I myself dont like it, but thats for the taste and texture. Ditto bone marrow.
    edited March 11
  • SuzySunshine99SuzySunshine99 Posts: 1,346Member Member Posts: 1,346Member Member

Why?

But eggs from caged hens are ok? Ditto broiler chickens? Same thing. Bred and fed for one purpose only.

At least with some animal products you have choices you can make...you can buy cage-free eggs or free-range chickens. Sure, they are still eventually slaughtered, but at least you could reasonably think (or convince yourself) that they were not tortured and were killed quickly. You don't know, but can at least tell yourself that.

With fois gras, it is absolutely certain that the bird was tortured for weeks to achieve the desired product, and that can be a bit hard to justify.

Why?

At least with some animal products you have choices you can make...you can buy cage-free eggs or free-range chickens. Sure, they are still eventually slaughtered, but at least you could reasonably think (or convince yourself) that they were not tortured and were killed quickly. You don't know, but can at least tell yourself that.

With fois gras, it is absolutely certain that the bird was tortured for weeks to achieve the desired product, and that can be a bit hard to justify.

That means nothing, you know that right? Also, even if the broilers could walk to the yard, they are still made to serve one purpose, grow large white meat that everyone wants now. And how do you know the bird is suffering? Just because the practice looks damaging or simply "not right"? Every seen a baby mammal being force fed via a tube to keep it alive? How is that different?

But thats a different topic.

edited March 11

Why?

That means nothing, you know that right? Also, even if the broilers could walk to the yard, they are still made to serve one purpose, grow large white meat that everyone wants now. And how do you know the bird is suffering? Just because the practice looks damaging or simply "not right"? Every seen a baby mammal being force fed via a tube to keep it alive? How is that different?

I think I made it clear that I know that.
    It’s about the perception, whether reality or not. Everyone decides for themselves where they want to draw their moral line, and my point was that for many people, this practice crosses that line for them. I’m not going to argue about what constitutes suffering and what doesn’t. I was just answering your question as to why someone would choose not to eat that particular food.

Why?

I think I made it clear that I know that.
    It’s about the perception, whether reality or not. Everyone decides for themselves where they want to draw their moral line, and my point was that for many people, this practice crosses that line for them. I’m not going to argue about what constitutes suffering and what doesn’t. I was just answering your question as to why someone would choose not to eat that particular food.

Understood. :)
  • troylfullertontroylfullerton Posts: 35Member, Premium Member Posts: 35Member, Premium Member
    xaxtyx2w62nj.png

Mouthwatering. I WISH I didn't have a sweet tooth and that I wasn't so delighted by these things (but I am... and YES, they're worth the calories for me). My challenge is to responsibly limit my consumption... I'm not going to give them up entirely.
  • summery79summery79 Posts: 108Member Member Posts: 108Member Member
    I'd rather have a homemade sugar cookie. Honestly, I rarely keep any type of cookie in the house because I've learned through the years that cookies are not a friend to my healthy weight maintenance. When I make them, I need to get the leftovers in the freezer ASAP
    Here is one for you..... Salceson :)

salceson.jpg

• corinasue1143corinasue1143 Posts: 3,132Member Member Posts: 3,132Member Member
    summery79 wrote: »
    I'd rather have a homemade sugar cookie. Honestly, I rarely keep any type of cookie in the house because I've learned through the years that cookies are not a friend to my healthy weight maintenance. When I make them, I need to get the leftovers in the freezer ASAP

Leftovers?

salceson.jpg

Gross! I wouldn’t even let that in my kitchen!

• bmeadows380bmeadows380 Posts: 1,930Member Member Posts: 1,930Member Member
    Do I want to know what Salceson is made of?
  • CupcakeCrusoeCupcakeCrusoe Posts: 696Member Member Posts: 696Member Member
    LOFTHOUSE COOKIES ARE THE DEVIL. They look so good, but they are so not good!

Polarizing foods.. I'm sure in 36 pages, sardines have been covered? I love sardines with crackers.
    summery79 wrote: »

Leftovers?

salceson.jpg

Gross! I wouldn’t even let that in my kitchen!
    Do I want to know what Salceson is made of?

If you did not what its made out of, and it shows up on a slice of bread, you would think its just ham. :)
  • ecrispiecrispi Posts: 15Member Member Posts: 15Member Member
    I always acknowledge that they are bad “cookies,” yet I still love them. I think it’s the texture. I can eat a whole box no problem, so I refuse to buy them for my own sake 😂