Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

1323334353638»

Replies

• jennibear22jennibear22 Member Posts: 92 Member Member Posts: 92 Member
    These must be American? Never seen before but they look awful.
  • SuzySunshine99SuzySunshine99 Member Posts: 1,553 Member Member Posts: 1,553 Member

Hot dogs? The high quality ones are just an all-beef sausage, so they can be pretty good if you like that sort of thing. Every region has their own take on how to cook it, toppings, type of bun, etc. Here in Chicago they tend to look like this....boiled or steamed sausage on a poppyseed bun. Topped with mustard, onions, pickle relish, tomato slices, sport peppers, a pickle slice, and a sprinkle of celery salt. NO KETCHUP.
    qykhfdrfpcxz.jpeg
  • bmeadows380bmeadows380 Member Posts: 2,393 Member Member Posts: 2,393 Member
    the pickle slice sounds interesting. I can do without ketchup if it has good chili sauce. Not sure about the poppy seed bun, though.

yup, they're American. To each his own, though - I've seen a few examples brought up in this very thread from other parts of the world where they are popular, and I'm thinking "you eat that?" lol
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 5,398 Member Member Posts: 5,398 Member

Hot dogs? The high quality ones are just an all-beef sausage, so they can be pretty good if you like that sort of thing. Every region has their own take on how to cook it, toppings, type of bun, etc. Here in Chicago they tend to look like this....boiled or steamed sausage on a poppyseed bun. Topped with mustard, onions, pickle relish, tomato slices, sport peppers, a pickle slice, and a sprinkle of celery salt. NO KETCHUP.
    qykhfdrfpcxz.jpeg

Yup, this is what I am used to and like. Except I prefer it without the tomatoes.
  • ccrdragonccrdragon Member Posts: 2,523 Member Member Posts: 2,523 Member

qykhfdrfpcxz.jpeg

Can't do the poppy seed bun because the company I work for does a lot of federal contracts so we get to do random pee tests, but everything else sounds good!
  • Slacker16Slacker16 Member Posts: 1,039 Member Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    (...) pan fried brain tasted like deep fried butter.
    You say that like it's a bad thing. Breaded and fried brain is <3

• Shropshire1959Shropshire1959 Member Posts: 981 Member Member Posts: 981 Member
    They look awful.. Wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,577 Member Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    how do YOU eat it?

42a8val0yiad.png
    qazk1vucsm9y.png
  • glassyoglassyo Member Posts: 4,395 Member Member Posts: 4,395 Member
    how do YOU eat it?

42a8val0yiad.png
    qazk1vucsm9y.png

I haven't had corn on the cob in ages but, when I did, still on the cob, using both hands, lots of butter. And I'd work my way across.

Damn, I used to love sucking the corn remnants off the cob part.

• just_Tomekjust_Tomek Member Posts: 9,118 Member Member Posts: 9,118 Member
    how do YOU eat it?

42a8val0yiad.png

Grabs one in tow hands and proceeds to clean the cob 2-3 rows of kernels in a row left to right. When half done, proceed to other grilled items. Then back to the other half.

*kitten* now I want corn....
  • quiksylver296quiksylver296 Member Posts: 26,876 Member Member Posts: 26,876 Member
    We had corn on the cob on Father's Day. It was so yum.

edited June 23
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 15,511 Member Member, Premium Posts: 15,511 Member
    Sweet corn: Very fresh, ears with still a couple/three-ish rows of skimpy immature kernels at the tip (so tender kernels down the ear, not the ones that are all bulgy with the tougher skin when fully mature).

Grilling is good, but I don't have a grill, and am lazy, so microwave will do for eating off the cob (easiest method, by far - rip off the excess silk, through whole ears in the microwave, silk wipes right off once cooked). Enough cooking to be fully hot, no more needed. Maybe just the tiniest bit of olive oil so a light dusting of freshly fine-ground black pepper will stick, but plain is just great (no fats, no seasonings at all). Eat it off the cob.

For putting in tomatillo salsa or home-made potato salad, or something like that, when it's the season and we're rich in fresh corn, then roasted or even broiled (still no grill here ;) ) to concentrate the flavor a bit more.