Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

13334353638

Replies

  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 25,801 Member
    Sweet corn: Very fresh, ears with still a couple/three-ish rows of skimpy immature kernels at the tip (so tender kernels down the ear, not the ones that are all bulgy with the tougher skin when fully mature).

    Grilling is good, but I don't have a grill, and am lazy, so microwave will do for eating off the cob (easiest method, by far - rip off the excess silk, through whole ears in the microwave, silk wipes right off once cooked). Enough cooking to be fully hot, no more needed. Maybe just the tiniest bit of olive oil so a light dusting of freshly fine-ground black pepper will stick, but plain is just great (no fats, no seasonings at all). Eat it off the cob.

    For putting in tomatillo salsa or home-made potato salad, or something like that, when it's the season and we're rich in fresh corn, then roasted or even broiled (still no grill here ;) ) to concentrate the flavor a bit more.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,109 Member
    wa6zhswyu6p9.jpg

    thoughts on Eggnog?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    wa6zhswyu6p9.jpg

    thoughts on Eggnog?

    Love it. Only do plant-based now, but it's always a highlight of my holiday season.

    Good on its own, great touched up with some bourbon.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 6,723 Member
    wa6zhswyu6p9.jpg

    thoughts on Eggnog?

    Glad you brought it up! :)

    I've never had eggnog before but have had eggnog flavored frozen yogurt and no thank you. :)
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    xaxtyx2w62nj.png

    If i'm going to have a frosted cookie it's going to be my mom's homemade cookies. Lofthouse cookies are like white static with a minuscule amount of flavor. What a waste of calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 25,801 Member
    wa6zhswyu6p9.jpg

    thoughts on Eggnog?

    As on the other thread:

    I adore homemade eggnog with aaaallll the eggs, cream and proper alcohol, so thick only part of a glass is drinkable, then you need a spoon. IMO, that's the superior eggnog. (Yes, I'm an eggnog snob.) It's too much work, perhaps too intoxicating but tempting, and way too many calories to range outside of December, and a limited part of the month at that, without causing me trouble.

    The commercial kind in cartons is usually too sweet, for my preference - syrupy. If others enjoy that - more for you, I guess. 😉 I might buy one carton a year, which usually is enough to reconfirm prejudices. 🤷‍♀️

    Never had the specific brand you posted.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 11,957 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    wa6zhswyu6p9.jpg

    thoughts on Eggnog?

    As on the other thread:

    I adore homemade eggnog with aaaallll the eggs, cream and proper alcohol, so thick only part of a glass is drinkable, then you need a spoon. IMO, that's the superior eggnog. (Yes, I'm an eggnog snob.) It's too much work, perhaps too intoxicating but tempting, and way too many calories to range outside of December, and a limited part of the month at that, without causing me trouble.

    The commercial kind in cartons is usually too sweet, for my preference - syrupy. If others enjoy that - more for you, I guess. 😉 I might buy one carton a year, which usually is enough to reconfirm prejudices. 🤷‍♀️

    Never had the specific brand you posted.

    Omg...all that homemade 'thickness'/texture is just the thing that would make me 🤢. However, I do like the favor of a low fat carton version of it.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Those Lofthouse cookies are "meh" at best.

    Now homemade Toll House cookies? Those are my Achilles heel. Can't have them anywhere near me.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Sweet corn: Very fresh, ears with still a couple/three-ish rows of skimpy immature kernels at the tip (so tender kernels down the ear, not the ones that are all bulgy with the tougher skin when fully mature).

    Grilling is good, but I don't have a grill, and am lazy, so microwave will do for eating off the cob (easiest method, by far - rip off the excess silk, through whole ears in the microwave, silk wipes right off once cooked). Enough cooking to be fully hot, no more needed. Maybe just the tiniest bit of olive oil so a light dusting of freshly fine-ground black pepper will stick, but plain is just great (no fats, no seasonings at all). Eat it off the cob.

    For putting in tomatillo salsa or home-made potato salad, or something like that, when it's the season and we're rich in fresh corn, then roasted or even broiled (still no grill here ;) ) to concentrate the flavor a bit more.

    Bring a pot of water to boil (with about a tsp. of sugar). Drop in sweet corn. Remove from heat and cover for 15 minutes. Perfect corn on the cob.
  • kristinajeang
    kristinajeang Posts: 63 Member
    I think I survived my second pregnancy on lofthouse cookies alone. They are so good and addicting.

    I also love eggnog, but can only have a super small portion that I sip slowly.

    Sweet corn is amazing and I could eat many ears of it myself.

    I love candy corn, but again, can only have a small amount.

    I hate jelly beans and those circus peanuts.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 6,723 Member
    I think I survived my second pregnancy on lofthouse cookies alone. They are so good and addicting.

    I also love eggnog, but can only have a super small portion that I sip slowly.

    Sweet corn is amazing and I could eat many ears of it myself.

    I love candy corn, but again, can only have a small amount.

    I hate jelly beans and those circus peanuts.

    I go back and forth with candy corn. I like it. I don't like it. I like it. I don't like it. It's confusing, I tell ya!
  • I like sugar cookies but not with that much icing.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,109 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    I think I survived my second pregnancy on lofthouse cookies alone. They are so good and addicting.

    I also love eggnog, but can only have a super small portion that I sip slowly.

    Sweet corn is amazing and I could eat many ears of it myself.

    I love candy corn, but again, can only have a small amount.

    I hate jelly beans and those circus peanuts.

    I go back and forth with candy corn. I like it. I don't like it. I like it. I don't like it. It's confusing, I tell ya!

    I like the candy pumpkins over the candy corn idk something about the shape??
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,109 Member
    h2xub5b0vnhk.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 25,801 Member
    Class name for this type of candy (candy corn, the pumpkins, Christmas shapes of similar stuff): Mellowcremes. Often contain shellac (from insect cocoons) and carnauba wax. Also generally not vegetarian (gelatin).

    Weird little food, mellowcremes. (I've eaten them, I'm not dissing them.)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,325 Member
    edited September 2020
    glassyo wrote: »
    I think I survived my second pregnancy on lofthouse cookies alone. They are so good and addicting.

    I also love eggnog, but can only have a super small portion that I sip slowly.

    Sweet corn is amazing and I could eat many ears of it myself.

    I love candy corn, but again, can only have a small amount.

    I hate jelly beans and those circus peanuts.

    I go back and forth with candy corn. I like it. I don't like it. I like it. I don't like it. It's confusing, I tell ya!

    I like the candy pumpkins over the candy corn idk something about the shape??

    More soft middle-y part!

    But do you bite the green part off first?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Class name for this type of candy (candy corn, the pumpkins, Christmas shapes of similar stuff): Mellowcremes. Often contain shellac (from insect cocoons) and carnauba wax. Also generally not vegetarian (gelatin).

    Weird little food, mellowcremes. (I've eaten them, I'm not dissing them.)

    I know! :s I'm one of the weirdos who actually misses this class of candy.

    I've seen recipes for making your own vegan candy corn, but I want the plasticy strange stuff that everyone else is eating! The recipes seem like they'd actually be high quality and that's not what I'm craving!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,883 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    I think I survived my second pregnancy on lofthouse cookies alone. They are so good and addicting.

    I also love eggnog, but can only have a super small portion that I sip slowly.

    Sweet corn is amazing and I could eat many ears of it myself.

    I love candy corn, but again, can only have a small amount.

    I hate jelly beans and those circus peanuts.

    I go back and forth with candy corn. I like it. I don't like it. I like it. I don't like it. It's confusing, I tell ya!

    I like the candy pumpkins over the candy corn idk something about the shape??

    More soft middle-y part!

    But do you bite the green part off first?

    You weren't asking me but yes, yes I do bite the green part off first. That's how you eat them, ofc.

    I adore mellowcreme candies. I love the waxy texture.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,325 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    I think I survived my second pregnancy on lofthouse cookies alone. They are so good and addicting.

    I also love eggnog, but can only have a super small portion that I sip slowly.

    Sweet corn is amazing and I could eat many ears of it myself.

    I love candy corn, but again, can only have a small amount.

    I hate jelly beans and those circus peanuts.

    I go back and forth with candy corn. I like it. I don't like it. I like it. I don't like it. It's confusing, I tell ya!

    I like the candy pumpkins over the candy corn idk something about the shape??

    More soft middle-y part!

    But do you bite the green part off first?

    You weren't asking me but yes, yes I do bite the green part off first. That's how you eat them, ofc.

    I adore mellowcreme candies. I love the waxy texture.

    Correct.

    Do you try to do it perfectly, so there's no green left but you don't bite into the orange? Are you ridiculously pleased with yourself when you succeed?
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,109 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Class name for this type of candy (candy corn, the pumpkins, Christmas shapes of similar stuff): Mellowcremes. Often contain shellac (from insect cocoons) and carnauba wax. Also generally not vegetarian (gelatin).

    Weird little food, mellowcremes. (I've eaten them, I'm not dissing them.)

    One thing I cannot stand are mellowcreme jelly bean things... not sure the exact word

    47ay6p23z02q.png
    these