Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Options

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Spam. I just bought bologna in a can last week. Curiosity. At the store, I picked it up, set it down and walked away. I came back, looked again, set it down and walked away. Third time, I just put it in my cart. Now I’m a little afraid to try it. Whaddaya think?

I say no. I used to be a canned meat proponent. I was like "get the canned chicken, it's just like tuna!".

Then I got a different brand of canned chicken.

Dear god.

I don't even think my cat could tolerate it, and she loves my normal canned chicken.

Not worth the risk, I say.
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Also sticking up for pork:

BACON

SPAM could be considered poison... seeing as the idea is disgusting. Fresh pork = yum

I like spam, I put it into the "sausage" category as far as taste/texture, even though it doesn't have a casing. I guess you could say the can is the casing, lol. Must be fried, spam right out of the can is not so good.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options

BACON

SPAM could be considered poison... seeing as the idea is disgusting. Fresh pork = yum

I like spam, I put it into the "sausage" category as far as taste/texture, even though it doesn't have a casing. I guess you could say the can is the casing, lol. Must be fried, spam right out of the can is not so good.

jceyw39iosk4.png
  • RelCanonical
    Options

BACON

jceyw39iosk4.png

Dear god, I'm intrigued more than disgusted and that reaction disgusts me.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Pork. Absolutely disgusting and unhealthy. I don’t care what anyone says. I work in healthcare and see people regularly with cysticercosis and rarely with tapeworms. It smells awful and is a horrible food. Poison even.

I'm not sure what country you are in, but in the U.S., cysticercosis and tapeworms are very uncommon. Domestic livestock does not carry the parasite, so it's really not a worry here. It's much more common in Latin American countries.

Grilled pork chops and roasted pork loin are part of my regular diet and there's nothing risky or unhealthy about it.

I think because of her job it probably ruined it even more for her.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    Pork is delicious. And I say that as a long-term vegetarian.

Dangerous? Home canned not-quite-acidic-enough-for-water-bath foods, like some no-vinegar salsas.

Botulism don't play.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Pork. Absolutely disgusting and unhealthy. I don’t care what anyone says. I work in healthcare and see people regularly with cysticercosis and rarely with tapeworms. It smells awful and is a horrible food. Poison even.

I'm not sure what country you are in, but in the U.S., cysticercosis and tapeworms are very uncommon. Domestic livestock does not carry the parasite, so it's really not a worry here. It's much more common in Latin American countries.

Grilled pork chops and roasted pork loin are part of my regular diet and there's nothing risky or unhealthy about it.

I think because of her job it probably ruined it even more for her.

For sure, which is why I asked what country she was in. If she regularly sees people with cysticercosis, then she is likely living somewhere where avoiding pork might be advisable.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options

I live in the US and it is quite common.
  • pancakerunner
    edited September 2019
    Options

I mean, yeah, if your meat is under cooked. This is true for beef too?? Preparation is everything. Nobody is advocating for eating RAW pork.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Poor pork gettin' the shaft for the misdeeds of the tapeworm. All the pork wanted was to be cooked properly, but noooooo, people be thinkin' they can treat pork like red meat and not like chicken. Poor pork just wants to be handled properly like any food product, as even plant products can contain harmful bacteria if not stored or prepared properly. Heck, eating the wrong part of rhubarb is poisonous, but people just loooove rhubarb. And that's inherent in the rhubarb. Pork just be sitting here being like "sometimes I've got tapeworm" and rhubarb leave's are sittin' here all like "this stuff is always in me, betta watch out".

STAND AGAINST RHUBARB.

Stop ruining posts I'd like to like with anti-rhubarb sentiment.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options

I mean, yeah, if your meat is under cooked. This is true for beef too?? Preparation is everything. Nobody is advocating for eating RAW pork.

Not one of my patients ate *raw pork*
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    IDGAF how well you have to cook the meat. Still gross AF knowing that that piece of meat or any food can give you tapeworms or make you sick. @nooshi713 I don’t blame you.

Agreed. It is not even tasty though. I value my health and won’t eat that crap.

Not... even... tasty????????? BACON... RIBS.... I... I... I....
  • pancakerunner
    Options

k
  • MikePTY
    Options

Maybe not *raw*, but certainly under-cooked. BTW, vegetables are as likely to cause food borne illness outbreaks as pork, and fish and dairy are more likely.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    @nooshi713 you got people rattled. Lmao.

Do you get the same reaction in real life?

• MikePTY
    Options
    This thread started as a lighthearted discussion/debate over a cookie and somehow managed to morph into an attack on pork, slamming it as poison and accusing it of causing tapeworms.

Welcome to the internet. Is it your first day here? :D
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    This thread started as a lighthearted discussion/debate over a cookie and somehow managed to morph into an attack on pork, slamming it as poison and accusing it of causing tapeworms.

Welcome to the internet. Is it your first day here? :D

yes