Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• valkyriemfpvalkyriemfp Posts: 5Member Member Posts: 5Member Member
    they've been nasty since birth; every time i try one, because everyone else is so hyped over them, i end up disappointed
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 8,534Member Member Posts: 8,534Member Member
    I will play........ Natto.

Natto_%20Aflo%20Co.%2C%20Ltd.%20%3A%20Alamy%20Stock%20Photo.jpg
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 14,266Member Member Posts: 14,266Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »

(snip image for reply length)

Good play ! ;)

I finally tried some recently, at a restaurant, after being curious about it for years (just not quite curious enough to search for it outside my usual shopping places). The waitress tried to talk me out of ordering it! :lol:

Maybe scary looking, but tastes good IMO.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 4,973Member Member Posts: 4,973Member Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

(snip image for reply length)

Good play ! ;)

I finally tried some recently, at a restaurant, after being curious about it for years (just not quite curious enough to search for it outside my usual shopping places). The waitress tried to talk me out of ordering it! :lol:

Maybe scary looking, but tastes good IMO.

Interesting. I'm also curious about it and would try it, but indeed everyone assures you that it's terrible.

On the other hand, I have 0 current interest in trying durian.
  • kimny72kimny72 Posts: 14,924Member Member Posts: 14,924Member Member
    While I'm typically a pretty open-minded eater and can get past a funky smell, I have a really strong deep-seated aversion to slimy food. So I would have to vote "no" on natto.
    Absolute fav. soup. Beef Tripe.

From this....
    tripe-56a8a78d3df78cf7729f6efd.jpg

To this....
    20090728-tripe-soup-primary.jpg
  • RachelElserRachelElser Posts: 1,043Member Member Posts: 1,043Member Member
    I like them, but I can't eat one all at once. JUST TO SWEET. They do however make minis and those are perfect.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lofthouse-Mini-Frosted-Sugar-Cookies-20ct/20670307
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Posts: 2,945Member Member Posts: 2,945Member Member

Natto_%20Aflo%20Co.%2C%20Ltd.%20%3A%20Alamy%20Stock%20Photo.jpg

Looks good to me!
  • Safari_Gal_Safari_Gal_ Posts: 584Member Member Posts: 584Member Member

From this....

To this....

@just_Tomek
    I’ve eaten some pretty funky things my liver loving friend! - but tripe is the one thing on my list that I can’t do!

I tried it in a restaurant in downtown NYC and I spit it out on my plate. My husband still says it was prepared incorrectly because it tasted like 🤮

I dunno. Maybe if it’s hidden in chocolate fondue and chased by some tequila. Maybe.

Ps- I still love haggis. 😬
    edited February 27
    Steak tartare? 😋

02yig2rnyybm.jpeg
  • paperpuddingpaperpudding Posts: 5,530Member Member Posts: 5,530Member Member
    Tripe, liver, brains, kidney, steak tartare - all an extremely polarised NO from me. :s

From this....

To this....

@just_Tomek
    I’ve eaten some pretty funky things my liver loving friend! - but tripe is the one thing on my list that I can’t do!

I tried it in a restaurant in downtown NYC and I spit it out on my plate. My husband still says it was prepared incorrectly because it tasted like 🤮

I dunno. Maybe if it’s hidden in chocolate fondue and chased by some tequila. Maybe.

When you make your way to Mississauga let me know. I will change your mind :)
    Just like liver, when its not prepared right, its crap.
  • bmeadows380bmeadows380 Posts: 1,938Member Member Posts: 1,938Member Member
    Tripe, liver, brains, kidney, steak tartare - all an extremely polarised NO from me. :s

I'll do liver with onions once in a while, but big no to the rest! Though my friend refuses the liver, saying its the garbage disposal for the body lol
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Posts: 2,945Member Member Posts: 2,945Member Member

From this....

To this....

@just_Tomek

Curious: does tripe have the same texture as morel mushrooms??? What does it taste like?

From this....

To this....

@just_Tomek

Curious: does tripe have the same texture as morel mushrooms??? What does it taste like?

@pancakerunner /—- well it depends on how it’s prepared...I didn’t like it when i tried it. I don’t think it’s comparable to morels. To me it had a squishy texture that tasted like stomach acid. It probably wasn’t cleaned or prepared right ...next time I’m going to Canada to try @just_Tomek ‘s 😉
    I say try it and report back! 😬

From this....

To this....

@just_Tomek

From this....

To this....

@just_Tomek

@pancakerunner /—- well it depends on how it’s prepared...I didn’t like it when i tried it. I don’t think it’s comparable to morels. To me it had a squishy texture that tasted like stomach acid. It probably wasn’t cleaned or prepared right ...next time I’m going to Canada to try @just_Tomek ‘s 😉
    I say try it and report back! 😬

When done properly, the texture is that of the oyster mushrooms that were sauted. There should be no smell, and on its own it does not have much taste. Thats why preparation is the key. Lots and lots of spices :)

I often make a vegan version of the beef tripe soup, using oyster mushrooms, and if others eating it do not really know a real beef tripe, they would have no idea these are mushrooms.
    edited March 2
  • SuzySunshine99SuzySunshine99 Posts: 1,347Member Member Posts: 1,347Member Member
    hdzu91ketp74.jpg

Oh, God! It's like they took the world's most disgusting food and combined it with the world's SECOND-most disgusting food.
  • chelleedubchelleedub Posts: 59Member Member Posts: 59Member Member
    Fois gras. I'm a hard no.
  • GummiMundiGummiMundi Posts: 131Member Member Posts: 131Member Member
    Just got caught up on the whole food vs "non food" food thing. Which brings me to one polarizing question of which we should probably be debating about by now.
    Cake or Death?

Apologies in advance, I know this specific comment was posted months ago, but I'm only reading the thread now: I <3 Eddie! :)

Regarding the OP, I have no opinion on those cookies because I never had them, but I'd be willing to try them at least once.

As far as "polarizing foods" go, my take has always been "like it or leave it". We don't all have to like the same things, and it all comes down to personal preferences. :)