Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

1313233343537»

Replies

• acpgeeacpgee Member Posts: 4,949 Member Member Posts: 4,949 Member
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Really polarizing foods are things like: 1) brain sandwiches, 2) barbecued pig snouts or 3) haggis, just sayin'.

I rather like haggis but only eat it on the occasional Burns night. Haven't tried snouts.

Don't like brain because I find it way too rich.

I had an Italian girlfriend whom I once told that I'm nog crazy about most organ meats. Chicken gizzards and livers and riz de veaux are the exceptions. Next time I came for dinner she served kidney, liver and brain because she was convinced I didn't like them because I hadn't had them cooked the Italian way. The kidney tasted of piss, the liver had the texture of sand and pan fried brain tasted like deep fried butter.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I will play........ Natto.

(snip image for reply length)

Good play ! ;)

I finally tried some recently, at a restaurant, after being curious about it for years (just not quite curious enough to search for it outside my usual shopping places). The waitress tried to talk me out of ordering it! :lol:

Maybe scary looking, but tastes good IMO.

When I tried to order this in a Japanese restaurant the waitress tried to talk me out of it too.
    The night before our wedding we took out our witnesses out to a fancy french restaurant. In the Netherlands the groom has two best men, and the bride has two maids of honor who all sign the marriage certificate.

One of the best men, when he saw calves testicles on the menu exclaimed to my hubby, "You need to order these on your wedding night, as an aphrodisiac!" My husband who does eat meat, but is squeamish about any meat that obviously looks like an animal (such as lobster or oysters) refused. So I agreed to order the starter of pan fried calves testicles.

Won't be doing that again. In the same way that lambs kidneys smell of piss, calves testicles taste of semen.
    Since moving from the Netherlands I really miss fillet americain. That's a sandwich spread made of finely ground raw beef sold in supermarkets.
    https://www.tasteatlas.com/filet-americain
    I have no idea how it got it's name, as it is a food that is as un-American as it gets.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,380 Member Member Posts: 3,380 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Since moving from the Netherlands I really miss fillet americain. That's a sandwich spread made of finely ground raw beef sold in supermarkets.
    I have no idea how it got it's name, as it is a food that is as un-American as it gets.

I love raw beef, but this looks unusual. Is anything added to it?
    acpgee wrote: »

I love raw beef, but this looks unusual. Is anything added to it?

Here's a recipe. It is a low brow version of steak tartare. Sold in supermarkets in NL as a sandwich spread. I love raw beef and raw tuna too.

https://www.thedutchtable.com/2011/04/filet-americain.html
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,380 Member Member Posts: 3,380 Member
    568wpvz5egwi.png

how does this make you feel?
  • bmeadows380bmeadows380 Member Posts: 2,269 Member Member Posts: 2,269 Member
    actually, that makes me feel kind of queazy. That icing looks gritty up that close and just what are those discs supposed to be? I'll take the lofthouse cookies and you can keep the cupcake :grin:
  • glassyoglassyo Member Posts: 4,342 Member Member Posts: 4,342 Member
    568wpvz5egwi.png

My tongue is practically licking that frosting up.

(I should really clean this tablet.)
  • Katmary71Katmary71 Member Posts: 3,516 Member Member Posts: 3,516 Member
    568wpvz5egwi.png

Eh, not worth the calories, it doesn't look very good and I always love the sweets you post! I'd probably eat the icing and that's it.