Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    568wpvz5egwi.png

how does this make you feel?

It makes me think of a child’s Birthday party.

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    In South Carolina, I got into eating "slaw dogs." That's a hot dog on a bun with chili, onions and creamy coleslaw on top, ketchup and mustard optional. I liked mine with pimento cheese instead of chile and yes, please, to the ketchup and mustard. A hamburger done up in a similar fashion is termed "all the way."

Actually, that's a regular hot dog in WV - you order a hot dog with everything, you get chili, slaw, onions, ketchup, and mustard.

I didn't even know hot dogs came any other way until I got out of the state! When I moved to PA and told my co-workers, they thought it sounded terrible, until I brought hot dogs in one day and convinced them to try it :)

Just don't put beans in that chili, and if you have a little relish, especially corn relish, put that on top, too!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    In South Carolina, I got into eating "slaw dogs." That's a hot dog on a bun with chili, onions and creamy coleslaw on top, ketchup and mustard optional. I liked mine with pimento cheese instead of chile and yes, please, to the ketchup and mustard. A hamburger done up in a similar fashion is termed "all the way."

Actually, that's a regular hot dog in WV - you order a hot dog with everything, you get chili, slaw, onions, ketchup, and mustard.

I didn't even know hot dogs came any other way until I got out of the state! When I moved to PA and told my co-workers, they thought it sounded terrible, until I brought hot dogs in one day and convinced them to try it :)

Just don't put beans in that chili, and if you have a little relish, especially corn relish, put that on top, too!

that sounds really good actually...
  • pancakerunner
    xrryik6cbl0r.png
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    How do we feel about top-sliced hot dog buns? I mean, in THEORY it makes sense...it’s much more stable and won’t tip over. But, to me, it’s just so wrong.
    crynmdi0ib67.jpeg
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    xrryik6cbl0r.png

I would like that because I like crunch with my foods.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    xrryik6cbl0r.png

WANT! I've been craving a hot dog and that looks good.
  • bmeadows380
    xrryik6cbl0r.png

yup - that's it! :D The best hotdogs are the ones made by the parents and sold at school sporting events concession stands; they usually use homemade chili sauce; nothing in a can will compare
  • bmeadows380
    How do we feel about top-sliced hot dog buns? I mean, in THEORY it makes sense...it’s much more stable and won’t tip over. But, to me, it’s just so wrong.
    crynmdi0ib67.jpeg

ugh - that's way, way too much bread.
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    These must be American? Never seen before but they look awful.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

Hot dogs? The high quality ones are just an all-beef sausage, so they can be pretty good if you like that sort of thing. Every region has their own take on how to cook it, toppings, type of bun, etc. Here in Chicago they tend to look like this....boiled or steamed sausage on a poppyseed bun. Topped with mustard, onions, pickle relish, tomato slices, sport peppers, a pickle slice, and a sprinkle of celery salt. NO KETCHUP.
    qykhfdrfpcxz.jpeg
  • bmeadows380
    the pickle slice sounds interesting. I can do without ketchup if it has good chili sauce. Not sure about the poppy seed bun, though.

yup, they're American. To each his own, though - I've seen a few examples brought up in this very thread from other parts of the world where they are popular, and I'm thinking "you eat that?" lol
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

Hot dogs? The high quality ones are just an all-beef sausage, so they can be pretty good if you like that sort of thing. Every region has their own take on how to cook it, toppings, type of bun, etc. Here in Chicago they tend to look like this....boiled or steamed sausage on a poppyseed bun. Topped with mustard, onions, pickle relish, tomato slices, sport peppers, a pickle slice, and a sprinkle of celery salt. NO KETCHUP.
    qykhfdrfpcxz.jpeg

Yup, this is what I am used to and like. Except I prefer it without the tomatoes.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member

qykhfdrfpcxz.jpeg

Can't do the poppy seed bun because the company I work for does a lot of federal contracts so we get to do random pee tests, but everything else sounds good!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    (...) pan fried brain tasted like deep fried butter.
    You say that like it's a bad thing. Breaded and fried brain is <3

• Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    They look awful.. Wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.
  • pancakerunner
    how do YOU eat it?

42a8val0yiad.png
    qazk1vucsm9y.png
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    how do YOU eat it?

42a8val0yiad.png
    qazk1vucsm9y.png

I haven't had corn on the cob in ages but, when I did, still on the cob, using both hands, lots of butter. And I'd work my way across.

Damn, I used to love sucking the corn remnants off the cob part.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited June 2020
    We had corn on the cob on Father's Day. It was so yum.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Sweet corn: Very fresh, ears with still a couple/three-ish rows of skimpy immature kernels at the tip (so tender kernels down the ear, not the ones that are all bulgy with the tougher skin when fully mature).

Grilling is good, but I don't have a grill, and am lazy, so microwave will do for eating off the cob (easiest method, by far - rip off the excess silk, through whole ears in the microwave, silk wipes right off once cooked). Enough cooking to be fully hot, no more needed. Maybe just the tiniest bit of olive oil so a light dusting of freshly fine-ground black pepper will stick, but plain is just great (no fats, no seasonings at all). Eat it off the cob.

For putting in tomatillo salsa or home-made potato salad, or something like that, when it's the season and we're rich in fresh corn, then roasted or even broiled (still no grill here ;) ) to concentrate the flavor a bit more.