What is something you can’t believe people enjoy doing?

Options

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    going to school all the time, guess I am just not the intellect type.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I will never understand how people feel the need to spend atrocious amounts of money on a vechile that approximately depreciates 20 percent of its value in the first year. As well as 15 percent each year afterwards, until after 10 years, in which it's worth becomes approximately 10 percent of what it originally cost.

I bought brand new once, because I had the cash to pay for it outright... 19 years ago... I still drive it :)

I don't think I'd splurge on brand new again, however. Late model secondhand most likely.

Just where I’m headed. Have always bought new, but not upscale, careful about what I bought. (Read this as stingy as heck) This time bought a Camry, and I can’t let go. 10 years ago. If the motor falls out, I will buy new again, otherwise, I will just drive on.
  • laprimaJenny
    laprimaJenny Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    I will never understand how people feel the need to spend atrocious amounts of money on a vechile that approximately depreciates 20 percent of its value in the first year. As well as 15 percent each year afterwards, until after 10 years, in which it's worth becomes approximately 10 percent of what it originally cost.

Well buying and living in a house is also a liability. Unless flipping or renting its very hard to consider the home you live in an asset But that doesnt change the happiness owning a home gives people.....even if it takes money out of their pocket every single month. I guess its that way with cars as well.....

A car is not an investment and I would go as far as to say idealistically it should be paid with cash. If you cannot afford to pay cash for a house, it's okay to take out a loan, because the money you pay in interest will be negated by the appreciation of your house. Plus having a place to live is essential to life, but you could manage to live without a car. If you don’t own a house, you would have to pay rent regardless.
  • MrAcavano
    MrAcavano Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Watching people play video games on YouTube. These kids today.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    Internet dating. WTF lol

;)
    Options
    accavallo wrote: »

As we speak. I don't get it either.
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    George_of_the_Jungle Posts: 3,316 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    accavallo wrote: »

As we speak. I don't get it either.

Same. Then I'll suggest letting me play and they can watch
    me, but nope. Gotta be Bricks O'Brien.

On the plus side I went from spending $100~ish every other month on new games to $10 a month on YouTube premium. Just realized this so now I'll stop bitchin.
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    Options

Well buying and living in a house is also a liability. Unless flipping or renting its very hard to consider the home you live in an asset But that doesnt change the happiness owning a home gives people.....even if it takes money out of their pocket every single month. I guess its that way with cars as well.....

A car is not an investment and I would go as far as to say idealistically it should be paid with cash. If you cannot afford to pay cash for a house, it's okay to take out a loan, because the money you pay in interest will be negated by the appreciation of your house. Plus having a place to live is essential to life, but you could manage to live without a car. If you don’t own a house, you would have to pay rent regardless.

The housing market is not gauranteed to appreciate. Also the longer you live in a house paying taxes, urilities, repairs, upgrades the more likely you will not get back what you pay for it no matter how much the market appreciates. Its true that renting costs money as well, but the financial risks of renting are minimal as are the expenses compared to that of owning a home. If you rent and it needs a roof, you dont pay for it, if the furnace or boiler goes....not on your dime either. Taking out a loan to buy a house you plan to live in of course is fine, juat as much as that fancy car......and both are liabilities and not assets. I flip houses, the longer i hold a property the more it eats into profit. However, I own a house....its a good house, worth almost double what i paid for it 18 yrs ago. And if i factor in what it has cost me to live in and maintain that house for 18 yrs.....if i sold it for twice what i bought it for.....id still lose money. But im ok with that, because thats the one house i bought not looking fotr a profit. Its my home.

I try to think of it as a controller or CFO would.

Mortgage/repairs = cap-ex. There's a return of value for the expenditure over time

Utilities/tax/ = op-ex. Just the cost of running

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    The eating challenges. My husband loves watching these competitions. It's just not my thing.

I agee. It makes me want to throw up. It's not appealing to watch people shoving a bunch of food in their mouths as fast as possible while it's spilling out on the sides and all. Yuck!
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Starting drama an stirring up hate..
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    Darryl4126 wrote: »
    Starting drama an stirring up hate..

giphy.gif
    Options

The housing market is not gauranteed to appreciate. Also the longer you live in a house paying taxes, urilities, repairs, upgrades the more likely you will not get back what you pay for it no matter how much the market appreciates. Its true that renting costs money as well, but the financial risks of renting are minimal as are the expenses compared to that of owning a home. If you rent and it needs a roof, you dont pay for it, if the furnace or boiler goes....not on your dime either. Taking out a loan to buy a house you plan to live in of course is fine, juat as much as that fancy car......and both are liabilities and not assets. I flip houses, the longer i hold a property the more it eats into profit. However, I own a house....its a good house, worth almost double what i paid for it 18 yrs ago. And if i factor in what it has cost me to live in and maintain that house for 18 yrs.....if i sold it for twice what i bought it for.....id still lose money. But im ok with that, because thats the one house i bought not looking fotr a profit. Its my home.

Mortgage/repairs = cap-ex. There's a return of value for the expenditure over time

In a healthy and thriving market non of this even needs to be considered. I bought my last house brand new and it doubled in value in one year. The last 10 - 15 years in the Toronto housing market has been a CASH COW... with no need to invest into the property really at all. Of course updates will only improve your return. Homes around here appreciate in value drastically making them no where near comparable to investing in a regular vehicle... so when you moving to the six Georgie? lol 😘
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    Options

In a healthy and thriving market non of this even needs to be considered. I bought my last house brand new and it doubled in value in one year. The last 10 - 15 years in the Toronto housing market has been a CASH COW... with no need to invest into the property really at all. Of course updates will only improve your return. Homes around here appreciate in value drastically making them no where near comparable to investing in a regular vehicle... so when you moving to the six Georgie? lol 😘

I'd move right now if it gets me out of this humidity. Another .25 percent increase and folks down here will need to grow gills just to breathe.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options

US accountants wearing off on you, huh buddy? ;)
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »

US accountants wearing off on you, huh buddy? ;)

Always attracted to people who know money better than me holmes
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Watching reality TV. Nothing you see on those shows is "reality."
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Having more than one child, on purpose. Surprises and "happy coincidences" are fine, but I've never been able to understand what enjoyment parents get from having multiple tiny humans running around.

It's just not for me, I guess.