Carbs are bad. Yes or no?

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I think the people with the most significant longevity are somewhere in Japan eating a lot of sweet potatoes and a high high amount of carbohydrate. I haven't found the scientific evidence that points to a high fat, high protien diet as a good way to eat over a full lifetime. Nor is a very high carbohydrate diet been proven to be a good way to eat into older age.

I don't think carbs are evil and I like them. I don't feel well when I over indulge in a high amount of carbohydrates combined with a lot of fat.

I vary my food quite a lot. I like vegetables and fruit and basically a vegetarian way of eating, but a lot of my days are lowish in carbohydrates. I'm becoming way more attentive to how I feel and energy levels because I am quite active for my age and its important to me that what I eat works to give me a healthy, good feeling and plenty of energy with a good nights sleep.

So many carbohydrate debates!

Regarding the bold, couldn't that be said with anything edible at all though?

Well, ya, you are correct! :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Leave off the carbs then what happens in the case of type 2 diabetes? :)

https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/type-2-diabetes/can-thin-people-get-type-2-diabetes/

Once again, nothing about leaving out the carbs, and that's even for the 10% of thin people who can become type 2 diabetic...

Interesting how quiet it gets when this poster is actually asked for peer reviewed evidence for the questionable info they post.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Leave off the carbs then what happens in the case of type 2 diabetes? :)

https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/type-2-diabetes/can-thin-people-get-type-2-diabetes/

Once again, nothing about leaving out the carbs, and that's even for the 10% of thin people who can become type 2 diabetic...

Interesting how quiet it gets when this poster is actually asked for peer reviewed evidence for the questionable info they post.

Indeed...
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    And a medical survey stating the opposite of "carbs cause diabetes": https://www.pcrm.org/news/blog/does-sugar-cause-diabetes
    "The roots of type 2 diabetes remain in insulin resistance and pancreatic failure, and the blame for the current diabetes epidemic lies in an overall dietary pattern emphasizing meat, dairy products, and fatty foods, aided and abetted by sugary foods and beverages, rather than simply in sugar alone. A diet emphasizing vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and legumes and avoiding animal products helps prevent diabetes and improves its management when it has been diagnosed.
    The idea that “eating sugar causes diabetes” is inaccurate. Nonetheless, avoiding added sugars is a helpful step, and it should be taken in addition to a healthful plant-based eating pattern, not instead of it. "
  • bmaw01
    bmaw01 Posts: 40 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    It's not the carbs per say. I taught in Thailand and South Korea. White rice is a staple there, and type 2 diabetes was never an issue. Now, with the emergence of fast food, cakes and cookies type 2 is becoming an issue in Asia. I do whole wheat pasta, rice, bananas, whole grain oats, etc. I usually take my blood sugar samples fasting, after luch, and after I drink my 1500 cal Nutribullet. I'm always in the normal range. No issues. The issue so many of us face is with the simple carbs. The white breads, pastas, chips, hoagies, ice cream, soda, etc. Carbs have gotten a bad rap lately. It's stupid IMO. Good carbs also supply us with much needed fiber which is severly lacking in the keto diet.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    bmaw01 wrote: »
    It's not the carbs per say. I taught in Thailand and South Korea. White rice is a staple there, and type 2 diabetes was never an issue. Now, with the emergence of fast food, cakes and cookies type 2 is becoming an issue in Asia. I do whole wheat pasta, rice, bananas, whole grain oats, etc. I usually take my blood sugar samples fasting, after luch, and after I drink my 1500 cal Nutribullet. I'm always in the normal range. No issues. The issue so many of us face is with the simple carbs. The white breads, pastas, chips, hoagies, ice cream, soda, etc. Carbs have gotten a bad rap lately. It's stupid IMO. Good carbs also supply us with much needed fiber which is severly lacking in the keto diet.

Simple carbs mean sugar, not starch -- so fruit = simple carbs, and potatoes (including chips) contain complex carbs, as does white bread.

What strikes me as different between the foods you initially listed and the later ones is not type of carb, but fat.

Chips = potatoes plus fat; hoagies (depends on what you put on it, but usually something high fat, as well as some protein), ice cream = sugar + fat. Soda is easy to overconsume if one drinks the sugary kind, since often people drink mindlessly. Fast food, cookies, and cakes -- as much fat as carbs, typically.

White bread has a bit less fiber than whole wheat, the difference is even less for whole grain vs. white pasta -- I'd suggest that the bigger issue there is amount you consume and what you consume it with.

White pasta with lots of veg, some olive oil, shrimp, a little feta is for me very filling and low cal. Whole wheat pasta in a cream sauce (or carbonara) with little protein or veg can be super high cal and for many not that filling.

I'm all for whole grains over the more refined for the most part (although I think people sometimes exaggerate the fiber contribution of even whole grain foods), but I suspect that's not really going to be the key distinction between a healthy and unhealthy diet, and your own reference to white rice not being the problem in some other areas of the world supports that. (I'm not that into grains and am always way over my fiber goal from vegetables, fruit, and beans/legumes, among other foods.)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Forget for a moment the term “carb”. Certain foods are calorie laiden, nutrient poor, highly palatable and very easy to overeat. We all know what they are. It’s not that complicated...

Exactly this.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

@bmaw01 thanks for sharing your real world observation about diabetes.
    High carbs seem to healthy as high fat WOE can be.

It seems to be the high carb high fat Ways Of Eating that you reported proceeded diabetes increased reports.

Several of my long term health issues have improved/resolved over the past 5 years after moving from 40 years of high carb high fat WOE to low carb high fat WOE. Everyone is different so we each have to find what works best for ourselves.

I know you have mentioned weight loss was not your primary driver at the time. That said, how much weight did you lose?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

It seems to be the high carb high fat Ways Of Eating that you reported proceeded diabetes increased reports.

Several of my long term health issues have improved/resolved over the past 5 years after moving from 40 years of high carb high fat WOE to low carb high fat WOE. Everyone is different so we each have to find what works best for ourselves.

I know you have mentioned weight loss was not your primary driver at the time. That said, how much weight did you lose?

Around 60 pounds starting day 45 after basically cutting out processed calories and replacing with high fat calories. I have maintained 50 pound weight loss for over 4 years now eating all I want. My pain is well managed as long as I watch the raw honey, apple and banana carbs and other natural sources.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

Around 60 pounds starting day 45 after basically cutting out processed calories and replacing with high fat calories. I have maintained 50 pound weight loss for over 4 years now eating all I want. My pain is well managed as long as I watch the raw honey, apple and banana carbs and other natural sources.

50 lbs weight loss is huge. Well done...

Thanks. It was the first time I ever lost weigh eating all that I wanted with no weight loss planned. I was just going for pain management to avoid the doctors plan to start me on Enbrel injections for pain management. It took 45 days of my new Way Of Eating to lose the first pound and I was still eat high calorie but just LCHF vs HCHF WOE of the prior 40 years. After day 30 I told my MD's I was going to pass on the Enbrel therapy because the pain management had started at day 15 and was improving week by week.

Five years later LCHF is still working it seems in my case. In the past I could lose weight by cutting calories but I was always hungry and cold (cool in the summer). Now I wear lighter coats than ever in my life. As fat left muscle came in its place as I regained my ability to walk well. I never was much over 250 but I guess that was in part because the IBS was so bad for 40 years the CO was high due to low transit time of what I ate.

Two months ago I was back working in the barnyard for the first time in 50 years because the daughter (with the mini horses) was working out of town and her mom got bumped by a horse being chased by another and fell and broke her hip. She was on bed rest for 6 weeks and I was the only one to take her food and drink, care for the six horses, 7 dogs and at least that many cats.

I wanted to ditch them at first but thankful to my WOE of the past 5 years I realized I could "Do This Thing" for the wife and daughter and have done it well and a side effect is I have better range of motion than I have had for decades now at the age of 68. I have dropped 10 pounds over the last 2 months working hard in this heat scooping poop, etc. It would have been bad had I not eaten my way to better health over the past 5 years.

While my wife was told she had osteoporosis 22 years ago when the twins came along the doctors said her bones looked healthy now and when for 3 screws to repair the hip. At six weeks both hips looked identical except for the three screws one one side and she is now back to work.

As one ages guarding our physical and mental health is important especially when we did not when younger.

• NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I have cut out almost all processed carbs. It has dramatically reduced my calorie intake, which allows me more wiggle room for lunch, dinner, or snacks.