Less Alcohol - JULY 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    fitchick37 wrote: »
    Can’t believe i last had a drink 2 weeks ago. I’m still undecided whether it’s a short, medium or long term thing rather than a glass of something every day.

@fitchick37 two weeks is fantastic. Take your time and way out your options for your own benefit as far as how long you want to do this.😁
  • MissMay
    Options
    jcammoile wrote: »
    Love this! Just what I need....

Hope my mini story helped and was ok?

Julia
    [edited by MFP mods]

Very nice story. Congrats and happy belated b-day.
  • MissMay
    Options
    beebva4 wrote: »
    7/4 - AF
    7/5 - bad :(
    7/6 - kept to my goal of waiting till night time, however had more than I wanted. But better then the night before so thats good.
    7/7 - AF

Last night I couldn't fall asleep and thought to myself if I had a quick nightcap it would help me fall asleep or get tired. I had a quick internal battle. But it was 11:30pm and my goal was AF for the day, so why make it all the way to the end and ruin it. I went upstairs and laid down and was asleep within a half hour. I proved to myself I didn't need a drink and it doesn't actually help.

Oh yes......we think we need alcohol to sleep. It is all good for an hour or two then you wake up shortly afterward wondering WTH? Why am I awake and will I ever get rest before I need to get out of bed?
    Nice job @beebva4 sticking to your AF goal for the day. With 1/2 an hour to go.
    And thank you for your thoughts on my issue.
  • MissMay
    edited July 2019
    Options
    pennyks88 wrote: »
    Today is day 9 of no alcohol. I almost gave in and had a drink yesterday, but I'm so glad I didn't. Weekends are hard because the kids are home all day and let's face it, they can be stressful. I really admire stay at home moms because that's a tough job taking care of little tyrants all day! 😂

@MissMay Sorry to hear about that situation. I'm sure that wasn't easy to deal with. I hope things look up for you.

Your right weekends for so many reasons can trigger the "want". I think because most of us are out of routine from the week and being home can be to easy to drink. Awesome with 9 days AF.

Thank you also for your concern. Yes today is looking brighter.
  • MissMay
    Options
    renpup wrote: »
    @MissMay that sounds so stressful. I'm sorry you had to deal with that and I hope today is better and that you had a great workout.

I definitely overdid it this weekend--I had five drinks (5!!!! ugh) on Friday night and four on Saturday, and my long run was absolute *kitten* yesterday...hmm, I wonder why? I love @jcammoile 's point about basically undoing all your hard work by drinking even one night. It's gotten much, much easier to abstain during the week, now I just need that to carry over into the weekends!

Hope everyone has a great week.

Good thing is @renpup today is a new day. Do not be to hard on yourself, we have ALL done that same thing.

Thanks yes the workout cleared my head and felt great. Got to be strong in all ways.
  • MissMay
    Options
    I got a text from a young woman I'd recently met at one of my Meetups--we had drinks and really connected a few weeks ago. Asked me if I wanted to grab some Froses (frozen Rose's)--talk about hitting me in my sweet spot. Replied that I'm taking a break, but sure they have other drinks (maybe not--Blue Lobster Wine Co) if she's still game. Wasn't positive I'd hear back, but she came back with a Kambucha cafe!

@renpup Weekends are difficult--maybe if you have a plan going into them, it might help a bit to push that Off button after 1 or 2. Or just to have an alternative.

How fun @mainelylisa. I really need to know where that kombucha cafe is. I LOVE that stuff. Is it near you?
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,559 Member
    Options
    I am going to continue into July with a goal of 4-5 AF days per week. It is great to be able to check in here each day. Thank you for looking after us @MissMay : - )

May - 18 AF days
    June - 16 AF days - Really had to backload that one! It was nearing the end of the month and I was only at 12 AF days. Maybe going to try to get more in at the beginning of the month this time.

July 01 - AF
    July 02 - AF - Guess that I will start my tally at the bottom : - ) I realize now that 16AF days (4 per week) in a 31 day month is like having drinks every second day!
    July 03 - AF - Today was no problem to be AF, but yesterday was a long hard day and I really felt like kicking back and having a couple of drinks - I just didn't. I even bought some of that fake beer that I have heard some of you talking about (I got Grolsch) - but it didn't occur to me to go to the fridge and have it. I am not a beer drinker, so I guess that it wouldn't have really been a substitute for a brandy or a glass of red wine : - P
    July 04 - 3 drinks
    July 05 - AF
    July 06 - 3 drinks
    July 07 - AF
    July 08 - AF - Um, I saw Kombucha being made on a TV show, sorry y'all that like it, but whoa, ick! : - P

Running total: 6 AF days out of 8 days so far.
  • mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    @MissMay This cafe is in Portland and called Wild Root. @dawnbgethealthy Ignorance is bliss sometimes. They serve it in fancy little beer glasses and it looks like beer, and oddly have mostly afternoon hours. Perhaps an alternative to Afternoon Tea? I'll let y'all know if I have to spit it out.
  • beebva4
    beebva4 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    7/4 - AF
    7/5 - bad :(
    7/6 - kept to my goal of waiting till night time, however had more than I wanted. But better then the night before so thats good.
    7/7 - AF
    7/8 - 3 drinks. I am so embarrassed :/ Ugh why!? I did so good all day and was like ya know I think I'll have a drink (which was okay), but one turned into 3. I laid in bed wondering why? I slept like crap. I have a headache today. So disappointed in myself. But instead of truly beating myself up for it (which I am) I will use it as a reminder to myself just how much better I have felt the days I didnt drink compared to the days I do. So tonight is AF. We have nothing in the house left anyways so that'll keep me on track!
  • MissMay
    Options
    7/8 - 3 drinks. I am so embarrassed :/ Ugh why!? I did so good all day and was like ya know I think I'll have a drink (which was okay), but one turned into 3. I laid in bed wondering why? I slept like crap. I have a headache today. So disappointed in myself. But instead of truly beating myself up for it (which I am) I will use it as a reminder to myself just how much better I have felt the days I didnt drink compared to the days I do. So tonight is AF. We have nothing in the house left anyways so that'll keep me on track!

@beebva4 here is a saying we should put on a post-it-note and all wear on on foreheads. Just a little set back. Push forward.
    8x49m8mqm6h7.png
  • MissMay
    Options
    @dawnbgethealthy Yeah I know like making homemade dil pickles. All that scum. Kombucha has scuby and bacteria. Yum yum yum. No really I do enjoy it, no fooling.

@mainelylisa sounds like a good time to me. I Googled it, how cute, they have kombucha flights. Gotta get there for sure.

Have a wonderful day everyone back to work for this girl.
  • beebva4
    beebva4 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    @MissMay I love that quote! I'm going to jot that down and stick it on the fridge!

Does anyone have any recommendations as to a cleansing/detox? Like for your liver or something. My husband was wanting to do something to help cleanse ourselves while we push for a week of AF.
  • mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »

@beebva4 here is a saying we should put on a post-it-note and all wear on on foreheads. Just a little set back. Push forward.
    8x49m8mqm6h7.png

I'm going to be brave and add onto this great quote because it's important to share. And for those of us "mature" adults, it's important to remember that alcohol hits us harder and faster than it used to.
    Drink 4 Then an unsteady feeling takes you (off the dance floor).
    Drink 5 Then the bartender takes you. Then the blackout takes you. Then the cops take you. Then the ambulance takes you. Then the ER takes you.

I was lucky, but damn if that wasn't a wake-up call. Nurse was convinced someone put something in my drink because I was so unresponsive. Maybe, maybe not. But had I not been drinking, it wouldn't have happened. I'm avoiding checking the mail, as I'm sure an ambulance and ER bill will show up eventually. Almost made it to 60 without adding ambulance ride and ER visit to my bucket list and checking them off.
  • MissMay
    Options
    Alzzi!! Where the heck you been for like the last 9 months?
    Great to see you back in
    One day at at time, that is our motto.

I hope your home situation is better than it was in the past.🙂
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    @MissMay I’m so sorry to hear you had such a bad time the other day. That’s got to be so tough to deal with. Good on you that you’re not adding fuel to a volatile situation by remaining sober. Cooler heads prevail. Thank you for sharing your story. That’s a very powerful “why “!

@globalhiker I am in the exact same boat! I was home for 20 years with the kids, acting gigs are few and far between. So I am also trying to find meaningful activity. I just put in an application to volunteer for hospice, hope I hear from them soon.
  • Womona
    Options
    @mainelylisa OMG that’s scary stuff. Thank God you are OK! Humbling for sure. I do think our tolerance goes down as we age. Also if we normally cut back on alcohol and then go yaha one night- forget it!

On a happier note, great picture!
  • Womona
    Options
    Need to start racking up more AF days. Between parties over the holiday weekend, book club, after tennis drinks, I’ve had a drink every night for the past week! So today starts getting back to AF weekdays and only one on weekend nights.

Yesterday I did a big push and finally finished weeding. Six hours! I officially hate mulch beds that don’t have any landscaping growing on them. Fertile ground for every weed imaginable. I need to plant (or divide) about 50 hostas to cover all that stupid mulch. Nothing grows under them! Now to find time to dig the holes and actually plant stuff...

Then I played tennis. From a CICO standpoint, I definitely had more out than in, and I’m down a pound today!