You guys really like to over complicate things.

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Ah, the arrogance of youth having all the answers. Like we haven't seen this many times before. Like we weren't in your shoes many years ago when we were the ones with all the answers. And in 30-40 years when you in our shoes and you know you won't have all the answers.

Time is the great equalizer. We've seen this play before.

Don't be hatin, OP is speaking the truth.

While everything is technically correct, there are a lot of nuances missing.

"Just eat under maintenance" would be a whole lot easier if we had a little plug we could attach to the nearest analysis machine and get the correct maintenance calories. A lot of thing affect the human metabolism. Quitting smoking could cause one's metabolism to slow down, as could hormonal imbalances, age, nutrition (or lack) or a myriad of other factors.

And, in reality, if all it took was a bit of education to lose weight, we wouldn't be in such a pickle as a nation. The diet industry wouldn't be a million dollar market. Dr. Oz would still be performing heart surgery. :laugh: There's so much emotion and motivation tied up into what we eat and how much we exercise that it's easy to plug a quick fix and have tons of followers flock to you…

And then to get shamed when you ask a "simple" or even "stupid" question … well, no wonder some people quit before they've begun.

there is a handy dandy machine called a scale that you can weigh yourself on and will give you an output reading of your weight....you then eat at a certain level..if you gain a little reduce...if you maintain for week or two guess what? You have found maintenance...oh, and if you lose that would be your cut level...

I believe this wiz banger of a gizmo runs on batteries too...

but it's sooo hardddd!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I didn't make this thread to be a ****. I made this thread so that it could help people understand that for the majority of us, losing weight(or gaining) isn't that complicated. It was more to motivate than put you down, but if you have a medical condition or are taking meds, then you really don't apply to this thread and you know that.

And all I was saying was you made it all sound so simple, so easy. No problems. Life looks simple and easy when you are 21 as you are. I used to think like that when I was your age. But when you are my age you know it isn't. There is no one way to lose weight. No one diet plan for everyone. No one exercise plan for everyone. It isn't simple. Nothing in life is. Especially if it is worthwhile. And that is all I'm saying. You'll find that out in a few decades. Trust me on that.

Losing weight is simple math. You need to have deficit of x amount of calories to lose weight. Period. Yes there is 100's of ways to get you to a formula that works but the end result is still the same. Eat less, Move more. When there is a post everyday about carbs, clean eating and other "fads" that's when complications arise. I would really like to think the weight I lost was more than me being young, but because I worked hard.

pfffff calorie deficits please....here you go again trying to over simply things...

the proven weight loss method is a cauliflower cleanse immediately followed by a week long fast, and then followed up with one week of drinking nothing but water, and finally a master cleanse.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Ah, the arrogance of youth having all the answers. Like we haven't seen this many times before. Like we weren't in your shoes many years ago when we were the ones with all the answers. And in 30-40 years when you in our shoes and you know you won't have all the answers.

"Just eat under maintenance" would be a whole lot easier if we had a little plug we could attach to the nearest analysis machine and get the correct maintenance calories. A lot of thing affect the human metabolism. Quitting smoking could cause one's metabolism to slow down, as could hormonal imbalances, age, nutrition (or lack) or a myriad of other factors.

And, in reality, if all it took was a bit of education to lose weight, we wouldn't be in such a pickle as a nation. The diet industry wouldn't be a million dollar market. Dr. Oz would still be performing heart surgery. :laugh: There's so much emotion and motivation tied up into what we eat and how much we exercise that it's easy to plug a quick fix and have tons of followers flock to you…

And then to get shamed when you ask a "simple" or even "stupid" question … well, no wonder some people quit before they've begun.

there is a handy dandy machine called a scale that you can weigh yourself on and will give you an output reading of your weight....you then eat at a certain level..if you gain a little reduce...if you maintain for week or two guess what? You have found maintenance...oh, and if you lose that would be your cut level...

but it's sooo hardddd!!!

yes, you are right ...the formula for losing weight looks something like the theory of relativity...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I didn't make this thread to be a ****. I made this thread so that it could help people understand that for the majority of us, losing weight(or gaining) isn't that complicated. It was more to motivate than put you down, but if you have a medical condition or are taking meds, then you really don't apply to this thread and you know that.

And all I was saying was you made it all sound so simple, so easy. No problems. Life looks simple and easy when you are 21 as you are. I used to think like that when I was your age. But when you are my age you know it isn't. There is no one way to lose weight. No one diet plan for everyone. No one exercise plan for everyone. It isn't simple. Nothing in life is. Especially if it is worthwhile. And that is all I'm saying. You'll find that out in a few decades. Trust me on that.

Losing weight is simple math. You need to have deficit of x amount of calories to lose weight. Period. Yes there is 100's of ways to get you to a formula that works but the end result is still the same. Eat less, Move more. When there is a post everyday about carbs, clean eating and other "fads" that's when complications arise. I would really like to think the weight I lost was more than me being young, but because I worked hard.

pfffff calorie deficits please....here you go again trying to over simply things...

the proven weight loss method is a cauliflower cleanse immediately followed by a week long fast, and then followed up with one week of drinking nothing but water, and finally a master cleanse.

Oh.

I think I'll just stay fat.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    All I see are people making excuses for not eating at a deficit, bringing age into things and other random excuses omg it rained today so I cant lose weight. If you are of moderate to good health the formula applies to you. No one said it would be easy.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    All I see is 'ignore user' all up and down this thread :laugh:
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options

then what do I do when I find my maintenance and lower my amount like you say and I still plateau for like 1 month? this has happened to me many times I have gone from 1800 as my maintenance and then lost 5lbs plateaued for another month and lowered to 1500 as it was going on to 1 month and 2 weeks no loss and then lost like 1.5lbs. I don't eat any of my exercise calories back, so what the hell xD
  • Tresiel
    Tresiel Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    All I see are people making excuses for not eating at a deficit, bringing age into things and other random excuses omg it rained today so I cant lose weight. If you are of moderate to good health the formula applies to you. No one said it would be easy.

I am "mirin" dat back.
    Looking joocy.

Mirin errythang about you HBB. Lemme holla at you right, nomsayin?
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

brb ignoring every user that tells me how to lose weight
    brb complaining that I can't lose weight
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    What else is funny is that you're agreeing with a statement that literally doesn't disprove anything I've said yet. Only thing it does is shows both you and him think somehow your body is "different" because you're older.

When in reality that's not how the body works, I mean sure your metabolism is much slower than mine. but you still have a maintenance for calories, and eating both below or above that you will see changes in your body of fat gains or fat loss.

You're right, and in 20 years, if you remember this post you will think you were an idiot.

yeah.. no I will not.

No, he really really won't.
  • WhoHa42
    Options

then what do I do when I find my maintenance and lower my amount like you say and I still plateau for like 1 month? this has happened to me many times I have gone from 1800 as my maintenance and then lost 5lbs plateaued for another month and lowered to 1500 as it was going on to 1 month and 2 weeks no loss and then lost like 1.5lbs. I don't eat any of my exercise calories back, so what the hell xD

1800 is a really low maintenance. Also are you sure you were tracking your food correctly?
  • OMGeeeHorses
    Options

..O_O
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I knew this would be a hot topic, but didn't think it would get this heated in here. Anyway I just came back and read all the pages, seems like the majority are agreeing with me, and the ones who don't agree with my post, seem to be quoting my age instead of trying to prove me wrong.

Because you are not wrong about what it takes to lose weight but you are not completely right either. Your argument is only talking about the physical aspects of weight loss. There are a lot of people on here that have food addictions and other issues around food....for that reason what should be simple, just isn't. Also, not everyone is on this sight for the reasons of weight loss or gain. As you get older you will find out what you eat is very important, not just because of the caloric values. It will hit home when you peers start dropping off dead around you from cancer, complications due to diabetes, stroke, heart attacks, which are all preventable with proper exercise and nutrition.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your point. Like I said, you are right but you are not looking at the big picture. Besides, if it makes people feel better to constantly try to find a new perspective that gears them toward being healthier, so be it.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I knew this would be a hot topic, but didn't think it would get this heated in here. Anyway I just came back and read all the pages, seems like the majority are agreeing with me, and the ones who don't agree with my post, seem to be quoting my age instead of trying to prove me wrong.

Wrong. The ones that don't agree with you take issue with the fact that you seem to have everything all figured out in a neat little package....a neat little package that you and some others seem to fit, but what of the rest of us?

If you were a little longer in the tooth, you would know how wrong you are and be grateful for the good health you enjoy that allows you simple addition and subtraction to get you to your weight loss goals.

Again, this thread has nothing to do with age. If you find your maintenance and then lower your calories, you WILL lose weight. You keep saying I'm wrong, but don't prove me wrong. I don't get it lol.

Because it's a long story and I've got better things to do with my time :huh: Eventually you will understand...or not...doesn't matter to me.

Edited.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    Options

1800 is a really low maintenance. Also are you sure you were tracking your food correctly?

yes I am tracking correctly, I use the barcode scanner. I measure everything and have a scale to measure meats and such.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    The only thing I see in this thread is saying that OP is young so he doesn't know anything. I haven't seen anyone prove that he is wrong in any way, in fact everyone with success stories in this thread agree with OP.

Exception:
    I have a "success story" and I do not agree with him.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Wrong. The ones that don't agree with you take issue with the fact that you seem to have everything all figured out in a neat little package....a neat little package that you and some others seem to fit, but what of the rest of us?

If you were a little longer in the tooth, you would know how wrong you are and be grateful for the good health you enjoy that allows you simple addition and subtraction to get you to your weight loss goals.

Again, this thread has nothing to do with age. If you find your maintenance and then lower your calories, you WILL lose weight. You keep saying I'm wrong, but don't prove me wrong. I don't get it lol.

Because it's a long story and I've got better things to do with my time :huh: Eventually you will understand...or not...doesn't matter to me.

Edited.

"You're wrong and I could explain it, but it would take too long so just believe me when I say you're wrong."

Does that about sum that up?
  • Tresiel
    Tresiel Posts: 98 Member
    Options

All I see is "lol let me make another excuse this is too hard". It's okay to fail or feel overwhelmed, you don't give up or make excuses you try again.

JK just drink nothing but kale shakes and cut all gluten for 7.5 days at the 9th night at the full moon drink milk freshly squeezed from a goat, It's the only way to lose weight. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Because you are not wrong about what it takes to lose weight but you are not completely right either. Your argument is only talking about the physical aspects of weight loss. There are a lot of people on here that have food addictions and other issues around food....for that reason what should be simple, just isn't. Also, not everyone is on this sight for the reasons of weight loss or gain. As you get older you will find out what you eat is very important, not just because of the caloric values. It will hit home when you peers start dropping off dead around you from cancer, complications due to diabetes, stroke, heart attacks, which are all preventable with proper exercise and nutrition.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your point. Like I said, you are right but you are not looking at the big picture. Besides, if it makes people feel better to constantly try to find a new perspective that gears them toward being healthier, so be it.

I have issues with food...but when it comes down to it, trying to use those issues as an excuse just made it an excuse. Overall, if we stop complicating things and actually work at applying what the OP said, it works. Even with issues, it works and those issues become easier to overcome.

This is coming from a stressed/bored/emotional overeater. Quit complicating it by thinking that you have to do things 100% clean, cut this out, cut that out, etc and focus controlling your eating by hitting your calorie goals. You'll find that you are eating "healthier", working out more and creating new habits that stick better than trying to stick to this diet, this plan, or trying to figure out what is to blame for you being overweight.
  • WhoHa42
    Options

It's still just as simple but I agree it is harder for some than others
  • ndj1979
    Options

well as you lose weight you need to recalculate your maintenance level once a month or so...If you go from 175 to 170 then your maintenance level is going to be lower, so that would explain the reason for the plateau and then the reset...

Were you logging everything when you were not losing? Were you weighting everything?

I assume that someone on MFP weighs and logs everything...