You guys really like to over complicate things.

Options
I see threads all the time on here with some crazy nonsense like "eat 6 small meals a day" or here's a funny one "gaining weight after I quit smoking" the list goes on though.

Smoking - You will not gain weight if you quit smoking unless you binge eat after quitting, that's all there is to it.

Losing weight is very easy - Just eat under your maintenance and do cardio, hell you don't even need to do cardio to burn fat, you can do it all through diet. I recommend you do some type of cardio though for your heart.

Gaining muscle - Eat over your maintenance by anywhere from 200-500 calories, while lifting 3-4x a week and you will gain muscle, unless you have super low testosterone levels.

Losing fat and gaining muscle - Lift while you lose weight. If you feel like you don't have enough muscle when you lose the fat, then eat at a low surplus like 200-300 calories over maintenance for a few months. Then cut fat again, it's really that simple.(just posted this last part in another thread)

You honestly don't even need to eat super clean foods like rice and chicken every meal to lose weight, Although it will probably make you feel better. I don't want people to be turned off from fitness and being healthy because of this stuff.

inb4 people with PHD's in broscience post

Replies

• WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    in on truthful thread
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the internet. There are also cats.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Ah, the arrogance of youth having all the answers. Like we haven't seen this many times before. Like we weren't in your shoes many years ago when we were the ones with all the answers. And in 30-40 years when you in our shoes and you know you won't have all the answers.

Time is the great equalizer. We've seen this play before.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Ah, the arrogance of youth having all the answer.

OP's advice is timeless and spot on

Good job, OP.... good job.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Who are the "you guys" and where are all the threads "complicating things"?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Ah, the arrogance of youth having all the answers. Like we haven't seen this many times before. Like we weren't in your shoes many years ago when we were the ones with all the answers. And in 30-40 years when you in our shoes and you know you won't have all the answers.

Don't be hatin, OP is speaking the truth.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options

lol srs?
  • MartinGibbs
    MartinGibbs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Écrasez l’infâme!

Plus I heard there were cats
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Don't be hatin, OP is speaking the truth.

No, he's right. I can eat under maintenance and not lose weight, but the OP seems to not have hormonal disorders (expect for testosterone, the only important hormone to him given his lifting advice) in his fitness worldview. That's how things can get complicated, and the fact that everyone is an individual with different goal, preferences, and outlooks.

I could make things even more simple for ya if you'd like. Just starve yourself. That'll work.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

lol srs?

Lol ya! OP's arguments are presented hundreds of times per day on these forums. The things he's arguing against are countered every time they're brought up. He provided advice in a couple of threads - advice that was already provided in those same threads. And now he's looking for some sort of a fight for no apparent reason.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Word. Good post OP!
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have MS and that can make my weight loss and exercise capabilities very different from other people.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    People like to overcomplicate it so they have a "valid" excuse for quitting or not starting.

ETA: No one wants to admit to themselves that the only reason they didn't reach their goal was because they never started.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    There are people for whom the OP’s sentiment is true...For them, weight loss is a simple matter of making good choices.

But there are also plenty of people for whom that is not true. Some people use food to cope with emotional challenges have to learn whole new ways to cope, which is MUCH harder than simply making different choices.

Some of us have hormonal challenges, and have to follow a drastically different plan than MFP-recommended calorie deficit every day.

Some folks face plenty of legitimate budgetary and scheduling challenges that require more thought and planning than "put down the twinkie".

The community here on the site can really help people stick with their goals and overcome challenges.

You are right that there are some people over-complicate as a way to self-sabotage or to excuse a lack of progress. But there are also plenty of people who are working hard to overcome legitimate complications.

I really agree with the "arrogance of youth having all the answers" poster.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    People don't gain weight after quitting smoking, BECAUSE they quit smoking. They do it because when they get anxious, instead of grabbing a cigarette they get cravings. A lot of people also smoke a cigarette when they start to get hungry and the nicotine apparently curbs their appetite. When they no longer have this, they get hungrier, therefore eat more. It's not mass delusion and you're the messiah who knows best, it DOES happen to a large percentage of people. Is it a rule? NO. But it does happen.

People don't just "burn more than you eat" and lose weight. Some people DO have thyroid issues, hormonal imbalances, eating disorders and many other issues involved. That's why there are nutritionists, endocrinologists, doctors and a whole industry / medical community behind it.

Because of people like you that say "it's as easy as pie" just do 1 +1 and you'll get 2, people get discouraged, depressed and many worse things.

So get a clue, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. If I ate 2,000 calories and burned 1,500 calories. And you did exactly the same, we would NOT get the same results. (not even gonna get into the whole BMR TDEE and all that "complicated" stuff that you've just dismissed.)
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    There are people for whom this is true...people for whom it is a simple matter of making good choices.

But there are also plenty of people for whom that is not true. People who use food to cope with emotional challenges have to learn new ways to cope, which is MUCH harder than simply making different choices. People with hormonal challenges, like me, have to follow a drastically different plan than MFP-recommended calorie deficit every day. People face plenty of legitimate budgetary and scheduling challenges that require more thought and planning than "put down the twinkie". The community here on the site can really help people stick with their goals and overcome challenges.

You are right that some people overcomplicate as a way to self-sabotage or to excuse a lack of progress. But there are also plenty of people who are working hard to overcome legitimate complications.

^^ this.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    People don't gain weight after quitting smoking, BECAUSE they quit smoking. They do it because when they get anxious, instead of grabbing a cigarette they get cravings. A lot of people also smoke a cigarette when they start to get hungry and the nicotine apparently curbs their appetite. When they no longer have this, they get hungrier, therefore eat more. It's not mass delusion and you're the messiah who knows best, it DOES happen to a large percentage of people. Is it a rule? NO. But it does happen.

People don't just "burn more than you eat" and lose weight. Some people DO have thyroid issues, hormonal imbalances, eating disorders and many other issues involved. That's why there are nutritionists, endocrinologists, doctors and a whole industry / medical community behind it.

Because of people like you that say "it's as easy as pie" just do 1 +1 and you'll get 2, people get discouraged, depressed and many worse things.

So get a clue, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. If I ate 2,000 calories and burned 1,500 calories. And you did exactly the same, we would NOT get the same results. (not even gonna get into the whole BMR TDEE and all that "complicated" stuff that you've just dismissed.)

I'm not saying we would get the same results, I'm saying if you eat under your maintenance then you WILL lose weight.

also with your first whole paragraph
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWbx-AKVnJ4T8VzGExYCQh_eU2NnwumNrwdCqqKnu8w2j0H6Fa
    I stated binge eating as an emotional issue, not a caloric one.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options

I love this. So true.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    There are people for whom the OP’s sentiment is true...For them, weight loss is a simple matter of making good choices.

But there are also plenty of people for whom that is not true. Some people use food to cope with emotional challenges have to learn whole new ways to cope, which is MUCH harder than simply making different choices.

Some of us have hormonal challenges, and have to follow a drastically different plan than MFP-recommended calorie deficit every day.

Some folks face plenty of legitimate budgetary and scheduling challenges that require more thought and planning than "put down the twinkie".

The community here on the site can really help people stick with their goals and overcome challenges.

You are right that there are some people over-complicate as a way to self-sabotage or to excuse a lack of progress. But there are also plenty of people who are working hard to overcome legitimate complications.

Nothing in your post contradicts anything I say. What you and I are talking about are 2 total different things.

What my OP says is if you control your diet, you will see results. You're telling me "some people don't have the will or motivation to control their diet" which is true, But has nothing to do with what I said.
  • sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options

I love this. So true.

u jelly?