You guys really like to over complicate things.

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I didn't make this thread to be a ****. I made this thread so that it could help people understand that for the majority of us, losing weight(or gaining) isn't that complicated. It was more to motivate than put you down, but if you have a medical condition or are taking meds, then you really don't apply to this thread and you know that.

I get you, but weight loss is an emotional **** storm. It's all wrapped up in social anxiety and feelings of low self worth, with a strong slathering of humiliation and a dash of being hangry.

Not for a fit, active 21-yr old male. Gaining and losing weight is easy as f'k. When the windows shrink a little bit, and life isn't as active by default, things change. The basic principles always stay the same, but the framework shifts.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I didn't make this thread to be a ****. I made this thread so that it could help people understand that for the majority of us, losing weight(or gaining) isn't that complicated. It was more to motivate than put you down, but if you have a medical condition or are taking meds, then you really don't apply to this thread and you know that.

And all I was saying was you made it all sound so simple, so easy. No problems. Life looks simple and easy when you are 21 as you are. I used to think like that when I was your age. But when you are my age you know it isn't. There is no one way to lose weight. No one diet plan for everyone. No one exercise plan for everyone. It isn't simple. Nothing in life is. Especially if it is worthwhile. And that is all I'm saying. You'll find that out in a few decades. Trust me on that.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

And all I was saying was you made it all sound so simple, so easy. No problems. Life looks simple and easy when you are 21 as you are. I used to think like that when I was your age. But when you are my age you know it isn't. There is no one way to lose weight. No one diet plan for everyone. No one exercise plan for everyone. It isn't simple. Nothing in life is. Especially if it is worthwhile. And that is all I'm saying. You'll find that out in a few decades. Trust me on that.

There is only one way to lose weight though... caloric deficit...
    Unless you're talking about water weight.
    The only thing is whether you get your caloric deficit from activity, less food, or a mixture of the two.

Edit: It may be more or less difficult for people of different ages but the same basic principle will always apply. Less calories at the end of the day = weight loss
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Pssst....when you insist people aren't special snowflakes...things like this tend to happen :flowerforyou:
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    In case they haven't already said it (I didn't read all the replies), you actually DO gain about 10 pounds due to a change in your metabolism. Your body does really change. If you are not actively aware of this, you can definitely gain weight without making changes in your eating.
  • rosah2
    rosah2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Smoking - You will not gain weight if you quit smoking unless you binge eat after quitting, that's all there is to it.

Actually, the metabolism slows down after a person quits smoking.

Nicotine is a stimulant, bro.

Here are three sources I found doing a quick search: I am sure there are many more and just as many stating the opposite opinion. I know that I did gain weight each time I stopped smoking; even when I diligently watched food intake. I finally quit for the last time last November so I won't have to worry about this anymore.

From Huffington Post...WASHINGTON -- Scientists say they've finally discovered why smokers tend to gain some weight when they kick the habit.
    It turns out that nicotine can rev up brain cells that normally signal people to stop eating when they're full, researchers report in Friday's edition of the journal Science.
    The weight connection isn't huge: On average, quitters gain less than 10 pounds.
    But when it comes to weight, the Yale research found that both nicotine and the related drug cytisine were activating a different receptor than the one involved in addiction. This one is located on a small set of neurons in the hypothalamus, a region that regulates appetite.

This one is from the Mayo clinic website:
    Is weight gain inevitable after you quit smoking? What causes it?
    Answer
    from Richard D. Hurt, M.D.
    It's fairly common to gain weight after you stop smoking, especially in the first few months — but it isn't inevitable.
    Smoking acts as an appetite suppressant and may slightly increase your metabolism as well. When you quit smoking, your appetite and metabolism return to normal — which may lead you to eat more and burn fewer calories. Also, your ability to smell and taste food improves after you quit smoking. This can make food more appealing, which may lead you to eat more. And if you substitute snacking for smoking, the calories may quickly add up.

From WebMD:
    Burning calories at a normal rate again. Every cigarette you smoke makes your body burn calories faster, but is also harmful to your heart. Once you quit, you are no longer getting this temporary effect. Instead, you are burning slightly fewer calories on a daily basis.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Écrasez l’infâme!

Plus I heard there were cats
    I thought there would be cats.....
    cathighfive_zps6e67bf1d.gif
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Ah, the arrogance of youth having all the answers. Like we haven't seen this many times before. Like we weren't in your shoes many years ago when we were the ones with all the answers. And in 30-40 years when you in our shoes and you know you won't have all the answers.

Time is the great equalizer. We've seen this play before.

I love this. So true.

u jelly?

Please explain why you think I am "jelly?" I'm guessing you think that I am jealous of your age. Far from it, dude. I wouldn't go back in time if I could. Been there and done that. Compared to where I was when I was younger, I am quite content where I am at now.

ya.. u jelly

You're so funny. Keep on thinking that if it makes you feel better :wink:

What else is funny is that you're agreeing with a statement that literally doesn't disprove anything I've said yet. Only thing it does is shows both you and him think somehow your body is "different" because you're older.

When in reality that's not how the body works, I mean sure your metabolism is much slower than mine. but you still have a maintenance for calories, and eating both below or above that you will see changes in your body of fat gains or fat loss.

Au contraire mon frere.
    Our wise old bodies are different.
    Just ask your mother as she goes through menopause.
    Hormone changes and imbalances don't follow your presuppositions about about eating at a deficit or building muscle.
    Time is the great equalizer.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Smoking - You will not gain weight if you quit smoking unless you binge eat after quitting, that's all there is to it.

Here are three sources I found doing a quick search: I am sure there are many more and just as many stating the opposite opinion. I know that I did gain weight each time I stopped smoking; even when I diligently watched food intake. I finally quit for the last time last November so I won't have to worry about this anymore.

From Huffington Post...WASHINGTON -- Scientists say they've finally discovered why smokers tend to gain some weight when they kick the habit.
    It turns out that nicotine can rev up brain cells that normally signal people to stop eating when they're full, researchers report in Friday's edition of the journal Science.
    The weight connection isn't huge: On average, quitters gain less than 10 pounds.
    But when it comes to weight, the Yale research found that both nicotine and the related drug cytisine were activating a different receptor than the one involved in addiction. This one is located on a small set of neurons in the hypothalamus, a region that regulates appetite.

Answer
    It's fairly common to gain weight after you stop smoking, especially in the first few months — but it isn't inevitable.
    Smoking acts as an appetite suppressant and may slightly increase your metabolism as well. When you quit smoking, your appetite and metabolism return to normal — which may lead you to eat more and burn fewer calories. Also, your ability to smell and taste food improves after you quit smoking. This can make food more appealing, which may lead you to eat more. And if you substitute snacking for smoking, the calories may quickly add up.

From WebMD:
    Burning calories at a normal rate again. Every cigarette you smoke makes your body burn calories faster, but is also harmful to your heart. Once you quit, you are no longer getting this temporary effect. Instead, you are burning slightly fewer calories on a daily basis.

It is "fairly common to gain weight after you stop smoking" but you can quit smoking and not gain weight. It is possible. How do I know? it'll be one year today that I quit and I didn't gain weight. O.O And no...I'm not special either. :smile:

Edited because it's been 1 year since the 13th of this month. :drinker:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

OP is right though, and I only wish I had it that right at 21. It comes down to a calorie deficit. Period. He didn't say it was a cake walk. Only simple.

There is need to keep harping on his age.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    There are people for whom the OP’s sentiment is true...For them, weight loss is a simple matter of making good choices.

But there are also plenty of people for whom that is not true. Some people use food to cope with emotional challenges have to learn whole new ways to cope, which is MUCH harder than simply making different choices.

Some of us have hormonal challenges, and have to follow a drastically different plan than MFP-recommended calorie deficit every day.

Some folks face plenty of legitimate budgetary and scheduling challenges that require more thought and planning than "put down the twinkie".

The community here on the site can really help people stick with their goals and overcome challenges.

You are right that there are some people over-complicate as a way to self-sabotage or to excuse a lack of progress. But there are also plenty of people who are working hard to overcome legitimate complications.

I really agree with the "arrogance of youth having all the answers" poster.

Nothing in your post contradicts anything I say. What you and I are talking about are 2 total different things.

What my OP says is if you control your diet, you will see results. You're telling me "some people don't have the will or motivation to control their diet" which is true, But has nothing to do with what I said.

Here's the thing. You're talking to people here for whom weight-loss is a huge challenge, sometimes one of the hardest things they've ever had to do, something that impacts every aspect of their life. It may be easy for some people, but for others its a seriously big deal.

I think for people for whom it is a very big deal, they resent the implication that it's "so easy a caveman could do it". They feel like it's dismissive of all the work they put into making the right food choices and working out. I actually know people for whom walking around the block is a big sweaty out-of-breath challenge, and people who cry with pride at turning down dessert at the office party. But they're doing it. They're losing weight. And they do NOT want to hear that all the work they're putting in is stupidly simple.

Guess what. I've been fat since the 5th grade and honesty (for those without medical conditions of course), it IS easy The reason I didn't do it sooner is because of emotional issues, stress eating etc...but that's because of ME. I complicated things and made excuses.

When you deal with the basics it is basic/easy and WORKS.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

Answer

From WebMD:

It is "fairly common to gain weight after you stop smoking" but you can quit smoking and not gain weight. It is possible. How do I know? it'll be one year today that I quit and I didn't gain weight. O.O And no...I'm not special either. :smile:

Joy posting something besides gifs? what kind of wizardry is this?
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options

OP is right though, and I only wish I had it that right at 21. It comes down to a calorie deficit. Period. He didn't say it was a cake walk. Only simple.

There is need to keep harping on his age.

All of this, but especially the bold part.

Plus, I think the point someone else brought up before about weight loss being easy but hard at the same time was valid. The concept is easy, but the implementation is difficult.
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    To everyone debating wisi and overlord whoha.

Are you so deluded in your own minds that you have to consistently make excuses for why you aren't where you are and how you want to be.
    Stop making excuses and go hit the gym, eat less/more depending on your goals.
    You can waste all the time sitting here debating or you can go make a change.

This isn't for everyone, if you're happy with not meeting your goals, being where you are in life, blaming everyone but yourself, continue to debate and make excuses.

The rest of us will be working our *kitten* off for our goals.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Answer

From WebMD:

Joy posting something besides gifs? what kind of wizardry is this?

Eep!
    OOPS.gif
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    How I see it, we all have our own ways to do it and someone may think there's is better. In fact it could be for some, but not for all. I do Paleo and people freak saying what I am doing is retarded, in some cases I can say it is. But it WORKS FOR ME. So in saying that, take whatever from the post works for you and if it doesn't then take it with a grain of salt and be happy you are doing an amazing job and losing weight your way!!
    Salt makes me retain water. Are you trying to sabotage my diet?

umm drop of agave? sugar? honey?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Are you so deluded in your own minds that you have to consistently make excuses for why you aren't where you are and how you want to be.

This isn't for everyone, if you're happy with not meeting your goals, being where you are in life, blaming everyone but yourself, continue to debate and make excuses.

Look at my ticker.
    No delusions.
    No excuses.
    Just biological facts.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Basically this. It's simple. Stupidly simple.

But, at the same time, the people who to make it complicated will continue to do so no matter what you tell them. They want it to be hard, they want to be special, and they want to argue. I say let them.

In the meantime I'll be sweating and eating slightly less than my maintenance and enjoying how very simple those two things are.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the internet. There are also cats.

:laugh:
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Crazy+Cat+Attacks+an+Unsuspecting+Horse.gif