You guys really like to over complicate things.

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    What else is funny is that you're agreeing with a statement that literally doesn't disprove anything I've said yet. Only thing it does is shows both you and him think somehow your body is "different" because you're older.

When in reality that's not how the body works, I mean sure your metabolism is much slower than mine. but you still have a maintenance for calories, and eating both below or above that you will see changes in your body of fat gains or fat loss.

You're right, and in 20 years, if you remember this post you will think you were an idiot.

Don't mind me, I'm just looking for the "LIKE" button....

I'm getting awfully close to finding the "report" button . . .
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I have MS and that can make my weight loss and exercise capabilities very different from other people.
    ditto! Not to mention the 5 days straight of IV solumedrol followed by another 18 of prednisone.
    edit to add that in any case i've still been able to lose the weight. Its taken a very long time and it goes up quite a bit due to treatments but it can be done.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    eh I don't care about his age, I just came for the cat pics that were promised :(.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    Options
    Just because the principle is simple doesn't mean the practice is easy. OP is right, and anyone can spend a hot minute on MFP and find hundreds of ridiculously over-complicated 'diet plans' people follow when all they need to do is eat at a moderate deficit, get their heart rate up, and pick up some heavy things.

Or, you know, whatever, they could stop eating all grains and replace it with organic raw kale powder, because DAMN IT I'M DIFFERENT.

cat_gif_44.gif

So am I crazy for doing Semi-Paleo? O_O *can't give up my yogurt*
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Just because the principle is simple doesn't mean the practice is easy. OP is right, and anyone can spend a hot minute on MFP and find hundreds of ridiculously over-complicated 'diet plans' people follow when all they need to do is eat at a moderate deficit, get their heart rate up, and pick up some heavy things.

Or, you know, whatever, they could stop eating all grains and replace it with organic raw kale powder, because DAMN IT I'M DIFFERENT.

cat_gif_44.gif

I wouldn't say crazy, I would say unnecessary. But things like that if you like them I say go for it.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    Options
    What else is funny is that you're agreeing with a statement that literally doesn't disprove anything I've said yet. Only thing it does is shows both you and him think somehow your body is "different" because you're older.

When in reality that's not how the body works, I mean sure your metabolism is much slower than mine. but you still have a maintenance for calories, and eating both below or above that you will see changes in your body of fat gains or fat loss.

You're right, and in 20 years, if you remember this post you will think you were an idiot.

umm why? there is nothing to report xD LOL
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Ah, the arrogance of youth having all the answers. Like we haven't seen this many times before. Like we weren't in your shoes many years ago when we were the ones with all the answers. And in 30-40 years when you in our shoes and you know you won't have all the answers.

Time is the great equalizer. We've seen this play before.

Yes OP is accurate, but a trifle arrogant. I think this is an accurate insight as well.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I have MS and that can make my weight loss and exercise capabilities very different from other people.
    ditto! Not to mention the 5 days straight of IV solumedrol followed by another 18 of prednisone.

OP: Says something that is true of the vast majority of human beings

People: But I'm half martian or something that takes me outside of the norm.

...well that just invalidates everything doesn't it? Oh wait.

Edit, for more perspective: Some dude: Sunlight, while awesome, doesn't give one superpowers:

Superman: But I get my power from the yellow sun.

Dude: Well shucks. I must be wrong.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Snip...
    OP is right though, and I only wish I had it that right at 21. It comes down to a calorie deficit. Period. He didn't say it was a cake walk. Only simple.

There is need to keep harping on his age.

Agreed.

I'm really impressed when youngsters get it. I love it. I personally hated it when (older) women at work would tell me, "Oh, just you wait when you're 40... It's all downhill from there... you'll see..." whatevs. I'd look at them like the crazies they are. Not saying my body won't go through changes, just that I'll know what I need to do when that happens. So that one lady was happy at the thought that one day I'd be in her miserable shoes.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure this thread was not intended for people that have been diagnosed with hormonal issues and other medical problems. It's towards the people that haven't even been to a doctor and say they can't lose weight while they continue eating over their maintenance.

Edit: I'll be back in a little bit to rustle more jim jams with the truth

Riight. :noway:
    :huh: Waiting with baited breath.
    There better be cats.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    Options

cat_gif_44.gif

I wouldn't say crazy, I would say unnecessary. But things like that if you like them I say go for it.

I just started it, so far I have been more energetic and more motivated *shrugs* could just be I stopped eating something I am allergic too xD
  • CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I didn't make this thread to be a ****. I made this thread so that it could help people understand that for the majority of us, losing weight(or gaining) isn't that complicated. It was more to motivate than put you down, but if you have a medical condition or are taking meds, then you really don't apply to this thread and you know that.

That's good to know but I saw this on page 4.... not in the OP
    So I won't bother going in to my doctors diagnosis for you to argue with the OP

Regardless, someone trying to read in here to learn how to get themselves off the couch and in the right direction, needs to be uplifted and not be made to feel like a failure.... This did sound like a blasting post from the start and I fully understand the reaction you got from it.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    I knew this would be a hot topic, but didn't think it would get this heated in here. Anyway I just came back and read all the pages, seems like the majority are agreeing with me, and the ones who don't agree with my post, seem to be quoting my age instead of trying to prove me wrong.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Well my doctor told me that smoking causes water retention, so that's why it seems like quitting smoking makes you lose weight, when it's just the water retention. I really don't know anything, but I don't smoke so it doesn't affect me. :P
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

cat_gif_44.gif

Ha, mostly I just smashed every buzzword I see here into one diet....the "grain free meat free raw organic no-GMO or I'll get FAT AND DIE" plan.

My take is more that unless you have an allergy or intolerance, there's no need to cut out a food group. However, if that is how you choose to create a calorie deficit, and it works for you long term, more power to ya.
  • AccioHotBod
    AccioHotBod Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is going on? I still haven't read anything that actually counters what the OP initially stated.

I guess I'm just new and naive.:tongue:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Personal attacks are against the forum rules. I think "idiot" runs awfully close to crossing that line. I'm not a moderator though (far from it), and we can play mod roulette, or perhaps all the "older and wiser" types who feel the need to point out that they are "older and wiser" could act like it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Ah, the arrogance of youth having all the answers. Like we haven't seen this many times before. Like we weren't in your shoes many years ago when we were the ones with all the answers. And in 30-40 years when you in our shoes and you know you won't have all the answers.

Time is the great equalizer. We've seen this play before.

“When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.”
    ~Wayne Dyer

The OP may be young, but discounting anything he says because he is young is ignorant.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    Options

Personal attacks are against the forum rules. I think "idiot" runs awfully close to crossing that line. I'm not a moderator though (far from it), and we can play mod roulette, or perhaps all the "older and wiser" types who feel the need to point out that they are "older and wiser" could act like it.

Oh I see, I actually skimmed it so was like wtf is he talking about reporting lol
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is going on? I still haven't read anything that actually counters what the OP initially stated.

I guess I'm just new and naive.:tongue:
    Be honest. You're here for the cat gifs.
    More funny cat videos please?
    No problemo!
    kittendiscipline_zps9728cf04.gif